Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

On 12/22/2022 at 11:06 AM, The Dog said:

I know y'all don't think much of MLS but Wrexham playing any of them is kind of absurd. National League is vastly inferior to MLS. 

IMHO they'd be better served playing USL teams - both for the exposure for those teams and for a proper level of competition.

The only reason for this to happen is a money grab for Wrexham. 

37A73850-5E64-458F-A607-7D26CCA2705A.gif.c2d1583d5861853540ab42ef5abdee31.gif

Since I don’t follow a team that deals with pro/rel (though they are trying to get sent to B2 this season) or follow any euro leagues generally, is it difficult to maintain a promotion?  Do you have to upgrade your entire roster to have a chance?  Would a team like wrexham have any advantages to maintaining given their more unique situation?

i guess the distillation is how much different are the leagues that are adjacent to one another?

Big win, but with Notts County also winning, Wrexham is 5 points back with 2 games in hand. They have an advantage on that front, but their margin is pretty thin right now.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Since I don’t follow a team that deals with pro/rel (though they are trying to get sent to B2 this season) or follow any euro leagues generally, is it difficult to maintain a promotion?  Do you have to upgrade your entire roster to have a chance?  Would a team like wrexham have any advantages to maintaining given their more unique situation?

i guess the distillation is how much different are the leagues that are adjacent to one another?

Difficulty

I think the difficultly to maintain a promotion really depends on how high on the pyramid you are going. The jump from the Championship to the EPL is huge and most of those teams struggle and/or go down (the last few years have seen 1 or 2 promoted teams relegated the year they came up).

In contrast from what I can see looking back at near history (~5 season) of League 2, only one team that has come up has even been relegated in that time. The rest of the teams have held their spot in League 2. Heck, Stockport County, last season's National League winner finds themselves with a chance to be promoted to League 1 for next season.

Roster

With any promotion, you don't need to upgrade the whole roster. But you do need to do some improvement. But again, at this level, its not the kind of upgrades that are required of say teams that jump to the EPL.

This also leads into you 3rd question about Wrexham in particular. I would not say that they have any more of an advantage than any other team, except that their ownership has made promotion a priority. And in that regard, they have already upgraded their roster to above National League level. Should they get promoted, they will likely need to spend a little more money, but not make a ton of roster changes.

Frankly, when they get promoted (be it this year, next year or sometime later), Wrexham will probably find themselves in League 2 (or higher) for sometime. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I was just looking at the schedule - we're about to get into some oddities that you don't see in US sports because they move games in the European schedule.

Wrexham has played 34 of 46 games
Notts County has played 35 of 46

This coming weekend Mar 4, both will play matchday 36.

Next Tuesday (Mar 7) only Wrexham plays matchday 37 because Notts played theirs way back in January (a flip of games in the schedule) - they will be even on games for now

Mar 11 both will play Matchday 38

Mar 14 Notts County has a makeup of Matchday 32, this will give Wrexham a game in hand again

March 18 (matchday 39) until April 15 (Matchday 44), they will play regularly scheduled league games*.

April 18 Wrexham makes up their last game from matchday 27

April 22 - matchday 45

April 29 - matchday 46 - the last game of the season

* Further mucking things up is the FA Trophy. The QFs are being played Mar 11 with no conflicts. The semi-finals are April 1. Altrincham is still alive in the tournament as of now and scheduled to play Notts that same weekend. So if they advance, Notts will have that game moved, likely to the Apr 18 the same day as Wrexham's makeup game.

If you are thoroughly confused, good. Because it took me some time to unwind all of that in my head too.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Good chance Notts Wrexham's last meeting (currently slotted April 10 @ Wrexham ) decides who wins the league and is promoted and who goes to the promotion play-off.

Yeah, I didn't even mention that in the whole schedule break down, they have that head to head which could play a key role in who gets the automatic spot and who has to play in via the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

With the way both sides are handling their league competition, you’d think either would be able to win a couple of matches in the promotion tourney. 

but if something quirky was to happen, must be devastating to see someone promoted that you were 30 points clear of for the season. 

Wrexham was 11 clear of Grimsby Town last year and lost to them in the playoff semis. Grimsby was 6th, beating 5th (Notts County 5 pts ahead) in the QF and 3rd (Solihull Moors 10 pts ahead) in the final. 

Nothing is guaranteed. You have to go back to 2019-20 for a year when #2 was promoted out of the playoff.

May have been discussed earlier but there appears to be some momentum behind adding a third promotion spot from the National League to EFL League 2 (and adding a relegation spot in League 2): https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/feb/06/promotion-and-relegation-changes-up-for-debate-as-premier-league-and-efl-talk

This would make the National League much less of a soccer purgatory than it is today. Interesting that at one time there was only one promotion spot so it was REALLY punitive if you dropped out of League 2. 

Edited by The Dog

On 2/28/2023 at 4:49 PM, Ted Lange said:

Good chance Notts Wrexham's last meeting (currently slotted April 10 @ Wrexham ) decides who wins the league and is promoted and who goes to the promotion play-off.

Someone at ESPN or FOX should be smart enough to broadcast this game live.

With the FA Cup home leg and this last match......almost have to feel snake bit a bit.  Have to keep hoping that they keep grinding.