Welcome to Wrexham

ztejas

24 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I bet those other teams fucking hate Wrexham.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Maybe? They are getting exposure they wouldn't normally get.

I’m as casual a soccer fan as you’ll find.  But, the Wrexham story probably grabbed positive attention to that league and the nuances of their entire system to many like myself.  I hope the FX series continues with Wrexham playoff/tournament/whatever games carried on US TV.

Listening to live match commentary for a league match (Wrexham up 3-1 in the 90th) when I heard them mention a "Ryan Reynolds Blimp"...

A quick dig on Twitter provides this awesomeness:

Reynolds' response: "Expect my formal response on April 14th, 2023, Mr. Co-Chairman"  

That ought to be fun.  :)

My buddy was in Philly a few weeks ago.   Rob owns a bar there, Macs tavern.  He decided to go because he thought he could watch a Wrexham match there, I told him that they weren’t allowed to be broadcast in the states (aside from those 2 ESPN matches).  He went anyway and of course they weren’t on.   The manager said people come by all the time asking to watch.   They did show one match when Rob was in town, using an illegal stream.   The FCC got wind of it and fined them 25k per person in the bar.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

My buddy was in Philly a few weeks ago.   Rob owns a bar there, Macs tavern.  He decided to go because he thought he could watch a Wrexham match there, I told him that they weren’t allowed to be broadcast in the states (aside from those 2 ESPN matches).  He went anyway and of course they weren’t on.   The manager said people come by all the time asking to watch.   They did show one match when Rob was in town, using an illegal stream.   The FCC got wind of it and fined them 25k per person in the bar.   

God Damn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I’ve tried googling the incident and have found nothing.   Well there a bunch of articles about Rob pleading with the National League board to allow games to be streamed.   BT sports owns the rights as of now and the National League has basically punter the issue, so no streams here anytime soon. 

Loved the show. Enjoyed the stories of players and fans and felt every moment of joy and pain. I avoided spoilers but when the last show was 3/4 in and still on the first game I knew they were going to lose. I didn’t realize the new season for the team has started, will follow, and hate that I missed the ESPN broadcast. I’m guessing for season two they’ll expect that most viewers will have known the result of the season and can approach it that way. I expect it’ll be just as good.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I learned a bunch during the previous episode on the Hooligans.  I knew of the major events which ended in bloodshed and death, but not as much about the everyday Hooligan fans.  I'm thinking of starting a Hooligan group for Austin FC.

I just watched that episode too. It's a really good episode. And I think it does a lot to dig into the culture of Hooligan fans. I love the description of the fan types, because outside of Hooligans, the other 3 fan bases are easily found at just about every fan base (like the Longhorns): Happy Clappers, Moaning Supporters & Passionate Lads.

But I think it kind of missed the mark too.

1. They seem to point to English fans as the only hooligans and I can't really say that's true. Around Europe many of them are call Ultras and they have just as bad of a reputation. In recent years they have been much worse.

I also thought their coverage of a few disaster was important, but really didn't go into all of the details which is important for why those events happened they way they di.

On 10/10/2022 at 3:55 PM, WBT said:

Just watched this episode.  The banned Wrexham hooligan's girlfriend was hot.  I'd say she could do better but she's from the hills outside Wrexham so I really have no idea.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, Ted Lange said:

James was the band.  My wife was irate at the girl for forgoing her job to stay with that guy.  

Can you blame her? I would be pissed if that was my daughter picking some dead end over a solid career. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just finished the series.  Seeing that Wrexham is at the top of the league right now makes me happy.

So this gets me thinking the 2022-23 season is clearly going to be W2W Season 2. Do we want to start a Wrexham thread that is basically discussing the team results knowing that we are going to be spoiling how season 2 plays out?

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan Reynolds has been doing some work and the National League has signed a streaming deal for their games to be shown on the net. This was clearly done for Wrexham due to their popularity, however the deal benefits the whole league.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/tv/you-can-stream-wrexham-games-now-thanks-to-ryan-reynolds-20221207-WST-411514.html

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-announces-streaming-platform-launc-73635

• Hook 'Em 1

Ryan Reynolds has been doing some work and the National League has signed a streaming deal for their games to be shown on the net. This was clearly done for Wrexham due to their popularity, however the deal benefits the whole league.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/tv/you-can-stream-wrexham-games-now-thanks-to-ryan-reynolds-20221207-WST-411514.html
https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-announces-streaming-platform-launc-73635

They bought the club for $2.5 million. Just feels insane right now and they are going to profit a shit ton on the club.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

They bought the club for $2.5 million. Just feels insane right now and they are going to profit a shit ton on the club.

While there were no guarantees, good on them for having the idea in a post-Drive to Survive world.   Of course it was going to work.  Helps that RR and RM seem to be two pretty self-aware dudes. Not sure Ed Norton and Sean Penn could have pulled this off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wrexham vs MLS preseason 2023 tour?

Possible opponents are Philadelphia, LA Galaxy, Miami, and (!) Austin.

My wife and I just finished the season of Wrexham last night. What a fabulous show. I purposely didn’t look anything up to see how Wrexham ultimately fared, which made it even more fun. (Of course, I’ve already peeked at the standings for this season to see how they’re doing — second in the table! — after watching the season finale, though.

Would be awesome if they came thru Austin. That would be worth coming down to Austin IMO. Would be cool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know y'all don't think much of MLS but Wrexham playing any of them is kind of absurd. National League is vastly inferior to MLS. 

IMHO they'd be better served playing USL teams - both for the exposure for those teams and for a proper level of competition.

The only reason for this to happen is a money grab for Wrexham. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And? Good for them.

These are friendlies, it's not like this team needs the work to sharpen up.

Plus these guys are getting a free trip around the US. You've seen the doc, these guys don't get out and about all that much when it comes down to it. This is their chance to big time it.

I just don't know how this benefits MLS at all. 

I watch very little soccer. I watched the show, went to 2 austin fc games and watched 3 on tv.

A question I had for my more into it friends while I watched this show was “would austin beat these guys?” to which I was scoffed at and assured that they would kill Wrexham.

So maybe the point is to prove my friends correct.

32 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I watch very little soccer. I watched the show, went to 2 austin fc games and watched 3 on tv.

A question I had for my more into it friends while I watched this show was “would austin beat these guys?” to which I was scoffed at and assured that they would kill Wrexham.

So maybe the point is to prove my friends correct.

Weird things can happen in soccer but your friends are right. MLS is about on par with the English Championship which is a step below the Premier League. I'm basing this on the Global Football Rankings comparison of the two leagues. Some have MLS even higher. 

Wrexham is in the National League which is the fifth tier of English soccer. That's three levels below the English Championship. There's likely not a single player on Wrexham that could make any MLS roster.

Just finished it and thought it was great.   I too ignored any and all spoilers, which is why it has taken me so long to post.  I liked that it didn't have some magical ending.  Reminded me a lot of the Strom 6-man doc that's on Hulu called The Texas 6.  Spoiler for the Texas 6 if interested in watching...

Spoiler

The doc followed Strom for 2 seasons.  They didn't win the championship in either.  Of course, they won state the season after they stopped filming.  I went to the game, and it was really cool to see those that one gets to know from the doc.  

17 hours ago, The Dog said:

Weird things can happen in soccer but your friends are right. MLS is about on par with the English Championship which is a step below the Premier League. I'm basing this on the Global Football Rankings comparison of the two leagues. Some have MLS even higher. 

Wrexham is in the National League which is the fifth tier of English soccer. That's three levels below the English Championship. There's likely not a single player on Wrexham that could make any MLS roster.

I think Austin FC wins against Wrexham, but Austin FC lost a match last year against the San Antonio USL team in the U.S. Cup.  Nothing is pre-determined.

31 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think Austin FC wins against Wrexham, but Austin FC lost a match last year against the San Antonio USL team in the U.S. Cup.  Nothing is pre-determined.

San Antonio is a lot better than Wrexham too. They'd be a mid-table team in English League One which is two levels above where Wrexham plays.

Both Austin and SA would control the game and Wrexham would basically need to "park the bus" and hope to get goals on a counter and that Austin or SA couldn't finish for crap.

San Antonio is a lot better than Wrexham too. They'd be a mid-table team in English League One which is two levels above where Wrexham plays.
Both Austin and SA would control the game and Wrexham would basically need to "park the bus" and hope to get goals on a counter and that Austin or SA couldn't finish for crap.
Maybe they'll play the new Austin FC II.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, the FA Cup is littered with 3rd and 4th tier teams beating PL sides. Sure, they’re probably not rolling out their starting 11 in these games but anything can happen.

• 2 weeks later...