Your work pet peeves

Parliament

59 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, FunDip said:
I'll give the other side of this coin that is my pet peeve. People showing up on meetings and then being dead silent, multitasking and doing other things, and not engaging in any sort of social small talk or niceties. It's basic human behavior to smile and fake like you are enjoying yourself, you would have to do it in person, but when you can just mute and scroll on your phone and not pay attention, it kills the vibes and is just constantly awkward. 

I'm referencing people who are disrupting the flow of the meeting so we can listen to their jokes because they can't help themselves. Half of the people in the room are scrolling their phones or typing away on their laptops. All of this leads me to believe the meetings really aren't all that necessary or productive.

Or, half of the people scrolling on their phones and not paying attention is part of the reason there is a push to return to work and increase productivity. They ruined it for us all!

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If nobody is paying attention in a meeting, and nothing is harmed, the meeting is useless and/or their attendance is useless. 

Whoever hosted that meeting should be deeply and dishonorably ashamed of themselves. 

Agreed, but I'm talking about situations where meetings are had, people aren't paying attention and things are harmed.

There is one guy who, like clockwork, will ask to repeat the question every single time telling on himself that he is never paying attention. 

5 minutes ago, FunDip said:

Agreed, but I'm talking about situations where meetings are had, people aren't paying attention and things are harmed.

There is one guy who, like clockwork, will ask to repeat the question every single time telling on himself that he is never paying attention. 

My previous workgroup was sales centric, which lay people think is full of schmoozers and bullshitters, were actually lean and mean. Meetings have clear purpose and sometimes feelings do get hurt in there (when participants dont contribute)

My current group in product tech/engineering, which people think is full of “doers”, holy fuck these people love their meetings. Different meetings for checks and approvals and status updates and steerings and plannings and cross syncings and big committees and small committees and meetings to prepare for the meetings. Its endless kumbayah circles that get nowhere. 

I limit them to the extent that im able, but i aint trynna rock the cruiseliner…

On 9/26/2023 at 1:42 PM, FunDip said:

not engaging in any sort of social small talk or niceties. It's basic human behavior to smile and fake like you are enjoying yourself

no, no it isn't. no one cares about your kid's tball game. much prefer sitting in silence. 

icebreakers before a meeting are my pet peeve. i refuse to participate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My work pet peeve is the idiot post docs I work with. How the fuck did these morons get advanced degrees in the first place?

Today, this dipsht post doc rolls in around 11 am wearing fucking flip flops and shorts. The lab manager tells him, in so many words, to gtfo and come back in closed toed shoes and jeans, as per the safety rules that we are all supposed to follow.

He's been told/warned before about required lab attire (which just means no open toed shoes or shorts, wear a lab coat and glasses when dealing with chemicals).

He says "Oh sorry, I totally forgot" playing the absent minded yet brilliant role, when really he's just a self entitled douchebag. Then follows up with "I'm just going to be in my office at my computer all afternoon, not out in the lab area" when he's literally standing in the lab area talking and fucking around with lab equipment when the lab manager walks in. Manager threatens to call the safety nazis if he doesn't go change. He gets huffy, starts to argue, and she cuts him off with "Its my ass if the safety auditors walk in right now, and see you dressed like that."

So he leaves and doesn't come back.

• Rage+1 3

On 9/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Any of y’all walk out on a job? Just straight up said “fuck this BS” and quit?

I worked at a Weinerschnitzel for 1 hour back in college.  Walked out after the training video and never looked back.  Come to think of it, after 30+ years of interest, they probably owe me tens of dollars since I never picked up a paycheck.  Actually, shit, maybe they still have me on the schedule and they keep wondering why this asshole keeps missing his shifts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is the newest, most flabbergastingly embarrassing recent thing I have witnessed.

My company operates in a narrowly-focused industry, doing exclusively B2B transactions, with extremely $$$ products/services.  Meaning the buyers are specific and purchases are only done through formal procurement processes after months of negotiations.  Final consumers/users are rarely ever involved.

On our corporate site today I saw a prominent banner advertising a referral discount: refer a friend and if they buy our stuff in this month you get a discount etc etc. 

Like what in the fuck... imagine if Boeing advertised "For every 5 successful referrals of a B737 you get a free upgrade of winglets on the plane of your choice".  They think we're selling mail order shaving razors or something? Im really curious which genius made this decision...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1