Your work pet peeves

Parliament

I really despise inconsistent application of policy. I went back to the engineering side of O&G recently and landed on a job that needed senior help. So while I have been a lead before, I am not on this job as I’m here to help the lead that has been on it for two years. Anyways, as the consultant, we bend the knee to the client (which happens to be one of the biggest pain in the ass of the O&G world). As per the contract/policy, the starting time is 5:30-6:30am, which I follow. However, this lead (which I now know is nuts), rolls into the office, on average, at 9:30. Today is extra special because it is 10:30 and she is still not here. We have a major deadline next week and we can’t get on the same page. Makes me regret this move, but there isn’t any going back. Best I can hope for is to get past this deadline and then ask to be reassigned (or jump ship).

Is she hot? Banging the boss? No other explanation for getting away with that BS behavior. 

She isn’t bad for being about 60. Not banging the boss (or rather I would be very surprised). I have no idea why she gets away with it. What’s even crazier to me is our department manager on this project told me that we were supposed to have four planners on staff. We have three because she went behind his back and told the client we didn’t need four. I was kind of shocked. I would be livid if I were him and she pulled that shit.

This week should be a real hoot.
  • Like 1

When I was an analyst, I couldn't get out of a meeting on time because every ass kisser felt obligated to add his input so as not to be overlooked.

As a teacher, I can't get out of a meeting because every comment has to be followed by 15 mins of dumbass, irrelevant conversation.

Just shut the f up and we'll be able to leave.

• Rage+1 1

Back over 10+ years ago I was a strategy consultant. We were working at a client site and were given a small conference room for three of us to work in. It was a bit small but workable. One of the guys just came to the US from a foreign country and didn’t wear deodorant. The body odor was off the charts. It was really fucking bad to the point that I had to breathe through my mouth exclusively and not use my nose. 

After a day of this I made up a new gmail account under a fake name and emailed him a link to some antiperspirant he could buy at Walgreens next to the office, and said “in America we apply this in the morning and wear it every day”.

Starting the next day the room smelled just fine. I am pretty sure he suspected it was me who sent him the anonymous email, but the way I see it I did him a massive favor for his life. 

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:04 AM, morehornsepower said:

coworker, out of the blue, no context, in teams chat: "quick call?"

How about you fucking type a few extra words and tell me what you need, and then I can decide if I need to make time for a "quick" call to discuss it?

This shit right here. If I don't know you and you message me "hello" or anything else without context, I'm not replying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lack of respect is one that really pisses me off.

I have listened for the past 10 minutes this same lady patronizing a subordinate. I have never spoken with this guy (he is in India), but from what I can tell, he is learning his role. So why make the guy feel like total shit if he does something wrong or even worse, doesn’t do something “wrong” but just different?

I want to call him up and say “hey man, don’t sweat that bitch.” And then answer the questions she refused to answer because it was a “waste of her time”.

Lack of respect is one that really pisses me off.

I have listened for the past 10 minutes this same lady patronizing a subordinate. I have never spoken with this guy (he is in India), but from what I can tell, he is learning his role. So why make the guy feel like total shit if he does something wrong or even worse, doesn’t do something “wrong” but just different?

I want to call him up and say “hey man, don’t sweat that bitch.” And then answer the questions she refused to answer because it was a “waste of her time”.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Unscheduled teams calls can fuck right off. Just pick up the phone like a normal person- you don’t need video for this conversation 

We have done away with desktop phones in my office. All internal and some external calls are through Teams. So I either get calls on my cell phone or computer.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

We have done away with desktop phones in my office. All internal and some external calls are through Teams. So I either get calls on my cell phone or computer.

Not the situation in my office. It’s like the company got Teams and everything is a video meeting, even when I’m in the office like 2 doors away

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Back over 10+ years ago I was a strategy consultant. We were working at a client site and were given a small conference room for three of us to work in. It was a bit small but workable. One of the guys just came to the US from a foreign country and didn’t wear deodorant. The body odor was off the charts. It was really fucking bad to the point that I had to breathe through my mouth exclusively and not use my nose. 

After a day of this I made up a new gmail account under a fake name and emailed him a link to some antiperspirant he could buy at Walgreens next to the office, and said “in America we apply this in the morning and wear it every day”.

Starting the next day the room smelled just fine. I am pretty sure he suspected it was me who sent him the anonymous email, but the way I see it I did him a massive favor for his life. 

This is savage and hilarious. And I've lived this too, it's brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1

The company that I began to work for in 1989 was founded in the 1920s.  During those years the company went through a couple of different ownerships but nothing really changed other than the BOD.  The name stayed the same, people, processes, everything pretty much did not change.  In 2011 we were bought out and went through a name, leadership, process, etc. change.  In 2017 we were bought out yet again which again brought on major changes.

We are now in the process of building a new office complex.  So now, with over 30 years of having my own office (~12'x14' with a window, door, extra space, privacy, etc.) I will now be sitting in a cubicle that is 6'x9' with walls about 4' high in a common workspace.  I am not thrlled.

All in the name of "collaboration, synergy, and community".  The whole purpose of why we were purchased in the first place is being "transitioned" out.

• Rage+1 1

The company that I began to work for in 1989 was founded in the 1920s.  During those years the company went through a couple of different ownerships but nothing really changed other than the BOD.  The name stayed the same, people, processes, everything pretty much did not change.  In 2011 we were bought out and went through a name, leadership, process, etc. change.  In 2017 we were bought out yet again which again brought on major changes.
We are now in the process of building a new office complex.  So now, with over 30 years of having my own office (~12'x14' with a window, door, extra space, privacy, etc.) I will now be sitting in a cubicle that is 6'x9' with walls about 4' high in a common workspace.  I am not thrlled.
All in the name of "collaboration, synergy, and community".  The whole purpose of why we were purchased in the first place is being "transitioned" out.

The open workspace bullshit has got to go. It doesn’t do any of those things people think they do. They do however help you hate your coworkers as you have to listen to their teams/phone calls all day.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Unscheduled teams calls can fuck right off. Just pick up the phone like a normal person- you don’t need video for this conversation 

I have always believed that seeing someone's face makes communication more effective.  That and Teams lets you share your screen and show things.

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952k0s2qlllo86vzgtlmry

• Haha 1

the screen sharing might/ does add value.

I don't have to see your face.  That's bullshit.

I'm not saying in-person meetings don't have value, but for a gotdam phone call?  Negative, GhostRider.  My profile pic is gonna have to suffice on Zoom/ TEams.

Edited by slorch

16 minutes ago, Parliament said:

have always believed that seeing someone's face makes communication more effective.  That and Teams lets you share your screen and show things.

Cool. Send a calendar invite or at least a chat asking if I’m free. Glad to see some of my coworkers are also Surly posters tho. You guys should be less uptight 

90% of the Teams meetings I'm in nobody is on camera. Occasionally you get that one asshole higher up who tries to guilt people into turning their cameras on but maybe 2 or 3 of the usual ass kissers do it and the rest collectively decline while silently telling him to go fuck himself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

90% of the Teams meetings I'm in nobody is on camera. Occasionally you get that one asshole higher up who tries to guilt people into turning their cameras on but maybe 2 or 3 of the usual ass kissers do it and the rest collectively decline while silently telling him to go fuck himself. 

I have meetings every day via zoom and Teams.  The only time we turn our cameras on are immediate team and nobody GAF.  T-shirts OK.  If you don't turn camera on, that's OK too.  98% of the other calls, cameras off.  

It's a control mechanism for douchebags.

Edited by slorch

On 9/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

When I was an analyst, I couldn't get out of a meeting on time because every ass kisser felt obligated to add his input so as not to be overlooked.

As a teacher, I can't get out of a meeting because every comment has to be followed by 15 mins of dumbass, irrelevant conversation.

Just shut the f up and we'll be able to leave.

I talk with college students about "markers of adulthood". 

Knowing the difference between having something to say and 'having to say something' is near the top of the list. 

(also? Differentiating between 'can' and 'should') 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2023 at 4:20 AM, Okie State said:

People who aren't funny, but feel like they have to crack jokes in every meeting. There's a time to lighten the mood and there's a time to shut the fuck up so we can get to the point and leave.

I feel personally attacked

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Any of y’all walk out on a job? Just straight up said “fuck this BS” and quit?

In high school, as a stocker at  Kmart.

Some lady dumped like 4-5 big bottles of cooking oil on the floor and then dropped some potted plants in there, so the potting soil mixed with the oil.

Manager was a complete douchebag, and thought it'd be cool to punk me out and have the young guy clean it all up without any support/ whatever.  On one hand, it was my job.  On the other I was already leaving in a week or so, so I told him to go fuck himself and walked out.

Never as an adult.

Honestly, if I didn’t have a family depending on me, I would have yesterday. I made very poor choice returning to this fucking place.
If I didn't have a family depending on me I'd probably be driving a forklift at a brewery. I don't want to be old, but I can't wait to be done with this bullshit. Amazes me that some people actually enjoy it.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:
Honestly, if I didn’t have a family depending on me, I would have yesterday. I made very poor choice returning to this fucking place.

If I didn't have a family depending on me I'd probably be driving a forklift at a brewery. I don't want to be old, but I can't wait to be done with this bullshit. Amazes me that some people actually enjoy it.

“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Walmart cashier; and a “trial day” at a dry cleaner, which in retrospect was the owner finessing my teenager self for a free day of labor. 

Adult jerb…nah i generally enjoy getting paid for shitposting on the internet

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Only as a teenager. Worked 3 nights at a Whataburger and quit to go to work at a Sirloin Stockade where all of my buddies were working. Worked there for about 4 months when summer started and I then got a job with a civil engineering firm. I worked for the engineering firm every summer while I was in college.

As an adult, no.

On 9/23/2023 at 9:20 PM, Okie State said:

People who aren't funny, but feel like they have to crack jokes in every meeting. There's a time to lighten the mood and there's a time to shut the fuck up so we can get to the point and leave.

I'll give the other side of this coin that is my pet peeve. People showing up on meetings and then being dead silent, multitasking and doing other things, and not engaging in any sort of social small talk or niceties. It's basic human behavior to smile and fake like you are enjoying yourself, you would have to do it in person, but when you can just mute and scroll on your phone and not pay attention, it kills the vibes and is just constantly awkward. 

• Like 1

I'll give the other side of this coin that is my pet peeve. People showing up on meetings and then being dead silent, multitasking and doing other things, and not engaging in any sort of social small talk or niceties. It's basic human behavior to smile and fake like you are enjoying yourself, you would have to do it in person, but when you can just mute and scroll on your phone and not pay attention, it kills the vibes and is just constantly awkward. 
I'm referencing people who are disrupting the flow of the meeting so we can listen to their jokes because they can't help themselves. Half of the people in the room are scrolling their phones or typing away on their laptops. All of this leads me to believe the meetings really aren't all that necessary or productive.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think it’s awesome.

No one wants to be there. Keep it real.
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, FunDip said:

Dead silent people on meetings are a feature, not a bug.