Texas Beach Volleyball!

TrashMaster G

This was posted on OB, then texted to me, so I have no idea who the OP is. 

Talked to a friend who spent some time with Stein Metzger recently.

Some things he mentioned:

* Metzger was apparently amazed at the resources and commitment that UT offers. Blew him away that Sark & others were reaching out to him.
* UT was planning on building a 3-4 court facility. Metzger said you should really do 5, but they don't have a space for it.
* UT's solution - they will buy some land and build on it. Expect stadium seating and a bar. UT will absolutely have the best facility in the nation.
* For now there are existing sand courts they'll use. Metzger said the sand itself (which is what matters) was fine. They went ahead and gave him $100K to fix it up anyway.
* Just an example of the resource difference. At UCLA, Metzger was fighting to get access to a nutritional science person for his team. At UT he has 6.
* Metzger is turning down transfers that he never would have turned down at UCLA. He wants to start with a core group and some indoor players, and build the culture first.

I'm really excited about what this program is going to be, both for UT and for the sport itself. 

• Hook 'Em 5

She didn't play any this season as a freshman at TCU, but her dad was a badass DL for us back in the early '90s. 

glB3lrR.jpg

Coming home!!

I am very thankful for Hector and Majo and my time at TCU! Thank you Coach Stein for this opportunity! Hook ‘em! 

https://www.instagram.com/_avapatton/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Patton_(defensive_lineman)

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Both played together at Westlake.  There's one more austinite on UCLA. So we'll see if she sticks.

Starting to really fill out the roster

On 6/3/2023 at 8:59 AM, conVINCEd said:

He’s deviating from his type.

Don't worry, he course corrected today.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, closetojumping said:

I have a daywalker. She's 11 and excellent at volleyball. I'm interested in seeing how into beach volleyball she gets. Not all redheads perish in sunshine.

Well as she gets older feel free to DM me. My daughter is super into sand and I'm more than happy point you towards the better clubs/etc

And our coaching staff is complete. 

Texas Beach Volleyball has hired Will Buchanan as an assistant coach, head coach Stein Metzger announced Friday. The longtime Director and Coach of Madsand Beach Volleyball program in Texas joins the Longhorns staff.

"I'm delighted to welcome Will to Texas Beach Volleyball, rounding out our coaching staff," Metzger said. "He has an impressive resume at the club level and has mastered the junior's volleyball landscape in Texas. Over the last five years, I have come to recognize his passion for the sport and varied talents as a coach and a director. More importantly, I know he truly cares about his athletes and works tirelessly to help them succeed. Coach Buchanan and his many skillsets will be a tremendous asset for the Sandy Horns. We are fortunate to bring him aboard."

Buchanan has served as Director and Coach of Madsand Beach Volleyball program after founding the organization in 2017 and quickly developing it into a national power. While at Madsand, Buchanan helped to develop numerous student-athletes that have signed with Division I programs.

Madsand was also the first Texas program in history to win the Best Beach Club Award (2x) at the BVCA National Championship. While at Madsand, Buchanan oversaw a team of 15 coaches and 270 athletes.

Additionally, Buchanan served as a coach for USA Volleyball's Beach National Team Development Program (NTDP) in Gulf Shores, Alabama earlier this year. In that role he helped identify promising talent for the NTDP Pipeline and provided tactical guidance.

Buchanan has played competitively in AVP and NVL qualifiers and open tournaments since 2014.

A 2012 graduate from Texas State University in San Marcos, Buchanan also received a master's degree from Texas State in 2014.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This was posted on OB, then texted to me, so I have no idea who the OP is. 

Sark knows that a good beach volleyball team helps with football recruiting. 3D chess going on here.

Sark should really lobby for a women's gymnastics team too.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Sark knows that a good beach volleyball team helps with football recruiting. 3D chess going on here.

Sark should really lobby for a women's gymnastics team too.

Pretty wild that the state of Texas has produced and continues to produce some of the best womens gymnasts of all time, and yet DII Texas Womens University has the only varsity gymnastics program in the state that offers scholarships. 

• Like 1

I appreciate you guys compiling this info.  I'm still learning the who's who at the college level.  Can anyone:

1) provide a projection of the '24 beach roster.  We know there are a few question marks wrt several '23 beach players staying indoor.  And then you have the grad transfer/portal variable.  I'm guessing Keonilei, Devin, Marina come back.  Madi and Molly are TBDs?  Any other intel?

2) provide a summary of the level of the transfers and recruits coming in.  Either in terms of star ratings [ducks], takes for other top teams, which pairing they project to, etc?  I see we have a few UCLA players/recruits headed our way, which is a strong indicator.

Chloe Charles (FSU): 3-0 at 5s 

Kylie Wickley (ASU): 11-13 at 1s, so she'll be up there for us too 

Presley Wright (S. Car): 1-2 at 4/5 

Ava Patton (TCU): DNP 

Maddison Parmelly (FGCU): Their site's stats suck, but she played 1s for an 18-18 squad 

Emma Robertson (FAU): 21-11 overall, mostly at 3/4 

Macey Butler (UCLA): DNP 

Kelly McCloskey (LSU): 1-0 at 5s 

Katie Hashman (UCLA): DNP this season, 1-2 at 3s in '22 

So two girls that played against the best in the country, another that was a mid-lineup regular. We'll certainly win more than one dual, but still won't be much of a threat in '24. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Quick glance, none of the college transfers are really gonna be difference makers. They’re mostly back-end 4/5s at best on real rosters. I’ll dig a little deeper later. 

Bet Molly plays beach again, Madi doesn’t. 

Don't forget, Molly is in the transfer portal for beach. I'm sure she'll be playing beach again, but it might not be for Texas. I have no idea what her intentions are for that semester education wise. 

She's currently training in Chula Vista at the USA Volleyball Beach National Team camp. Don't know what that means exactly, other than she's serious about it. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yeah, saw her post out there too. Forgot she was done on the sand for us. 

I don’t know if she’s done for sure. She put her name in the portal prior to Metzger being named. But as far as I know she hasn’t withdrawn it, so...probably?

8 of the 9 transfers, minus Hashman, the latest Bruin. 

On 6/17/2023 at 10:04 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Chloe Charles (FSU): 3-0 at 5s 

Kylie Wickley (ASU): 11-13 at 1s, so she'll be up there for us too 

Presley Wright (S. Car): 1-2 at 4/5 

Ava Patton (TCU): DNP 

Maddison Parmelly (FGCU): Their site's stats suck, but she played 1s for an 18-18 squad 

Emma Robertson (FAU): 21-11 overall, mostly at 3/4 

Macey Butler (UCLA): DNP 

Kelly McCloskey (LSU): 1-0 at 5s 

Katie Hashman (UCLA): DNP this season, 1-2 at 3s in '22 

I7QPldE.jpg

Back L-R: McCloskey, Charles, Butler, Robertson 

Front L-R: Parmelly, Wickley, Wright, Patton