Arizona State @ #11 Oklahoma State (6:30, ESPN2): Another future Big 12 preview?

oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I’ll be sure and start drinking early this time.

I hit it waaaaaaay too hard last night.  Back at it at The Garage.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Good Luck, we're all counting on you.

(actually you won't need it.  AZ State is terrible, you should win convincingly)

Yup

• Haha 2

I’d say we are about to get bit by the upset bug, but after seeing how bad CMU really is…got shit pushed in by S Alabama…I’m not sure it’d be an upset at all today if ASU stomps us. Defense is bad.  

After reading this post I just developed a hatred for poke st.

You’re constantly ranked around 10th and never do anything with it

You’re a constant NCAA bracket buster. Whether you’re a 4 seed or an 11, you’ll do the opposite of what you’re supposed to and bust my bracket

You play the game of your life as a bowl game underdog and fuck my bowl pick em or lay an egg as a heavy favorite Vs pud state and fuck my bowl pick em

I don’t think their own alum even likes them.
  • Haha 2

I've always been a huge fan of Gundy.  Still am.

This is off topic for this game thread, but holy cow, I did not realize that Oklahoma State finished the regular season last year with only one conference loss. No idea why I thought they had two.

So basically, OSU finished the round-robin schedule as the only team with one loss, which would have made them the outright conference champion during the SWC days, and in the Big 12 before they created the conference championship game.  But 2-loss Baylor gets another shot at them, pulls the upset, and Baylor was the Big 12 champion.

I can't imagine how livid the OSU students/alumni/fans had to have been, because that's absurd.

Hell of an answer by the Cowboys there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh shit you went to Dragon’s Lair?
Titty bars and small-town Oklahoma, even a college town, is not a good combo, lol.
During my time the Dragons Lair was the upscale joint. There was a shithole out West of town on 51 called The Sunset Strip. It was terrible.

We had a blast there.
  • Haha 2

After reading this post I just developed a hatred for poke st.

You’re constantly ranked around 10th and never do anything with it

You’re a constant NCAA bracket buster. Whether you’re a 4 seed or an 11, you’ll do the opposite of what you’re supposed to and bust my bracket

You play the game of your life as a bowl game underdog and fuck my bowl pick em or lay an egg as a heavy favorite Vs pud state and fuck my bowl pick em

I don’t think their own alum even likes them.

To be fair, even we think Homer is a bit too doom and gloom. And we are a doomy and gloomy bunch. He probably needs professional help.

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

To be fair, even we think Homer is a bit too doom and gloom. And we are a doomy and gloomy bunch. He probably needs professional help.

Yes I am.  I’ll tone it down.  I’ve never fully adjusted to actually being competitive, and let the ISU/OU/CMU/Baylor heart breaks cloud the incredible overhaul Gundy has made in the program.  

That being said, it was 0-3 in the first quarter when I posted that and they were torching our defense with huge plays. I don’t trust Mason yet to make good adjustments at the half like we did under Knowles.  Spencer was looking at a pick-happy game again.  

I was also coming up on a strong D9 gummy and was weirdly amped.  Put that energy to good use later with my wife, but as the game was getting started I was in a weird headspace.  

But point taken, I’ll STFU on doom and gloom

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Yes I am.  I’ll tone it down.  I’ve never fully adjusted to actually being competitive, and let the ISU/OU/CMU/Baylor heart breaks cloud the incredible overhaul Gundy has made in the program.  

That being said, it was 0-3 in the first quarter when I posted that and they were torching our defense with huge plays. I don’t trust Mason yet to make good adjustments at the half like we did under Knowles.  

Malcolm Rodrigez is starting for Detroit and Devon Harper is a #3 LB for Dallas. I think those two guys should get A LOT of the credit for how that defense ran last year.  The two of them never being out of position and tackling anyone who was near them is what we miss WAY more than who is calling the defense.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:41 AM, Homercles said:

That being said, it was 0-3 in the first quarter when I posted that and they were torching our defense with huge plays. I don’t trust Mason yet to make good adjustments at the half like we did under Knowles.  Spencer was looking at a pick-happy game again.  

I was also coming up on a strong D9 gummy and was weirdly amped.  Put that energy to good use later with my wife, but as the game was getting started I was in a weird headspace.  

But point taken, I’ll STFU on doom and gloom

Most of us have transitioned a little better in accepting some level of success than you over the past 15 years.  It's an uphill battle trusting any OSU team.  It helps me to step outside my bubble and look around the country and realize bad shit happens to a lot of programs every week.  We don't have a monopoly on it and really, if you think about it, probably have less head scratching shitty stuff happen to us than 90% of the programs out there.  Usually now if we lose, it's because we didn't play well enough.  Maybe it was growing up in a state with a program that rarely had bad shit happen to them all season (not counting bowl games/post season) that warped us into thinking everything should be roses all the time.  Sports fandom is a tough business.   

36 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Most of us have transitioned a little better in accepting some level of success than you over the past 15 years.  It's an uphill battle trusting any OSU team.  It helps me to step outside my bubble and look around the country and realize bad shit happens to a lot of programs every week.  We don't have a monopoly on it and really, if you think about it, probably have less head scratching shitty stuff happen to us than 90% of the programs out there.  Usually now if we lose, it's because we didn't play well enough.  Maybe it was growing up in a state with a program that rarely had bad shit happen to them all season (not counting bowl games/post season) that warped us into thinking everything should be roses all the time.  Sports fandom is a tough business.   

Yeah having a top 5... hell maybe top 3 (?) all-time college football program 90 miles down the road from our school has broken the brains of lots of our fans and thus no matter what we do, it will never ever be good enough.

Apropos - we are top 10 in wins in college football in the past 15 years... we have literally been better than 90%+ of all college football teams in that time... it's the most successful run in the history of the program.... but guess who is in that 10% that we haven't been better than? That's right... fucking OUsux. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah having a top 5... hell maybe top 3 (?) all-time college football program 90 miles down the road from our school has broken the brains of lots of our fans and thus no matter what we do, it will never ever be good enough.

Apropos - we are top 10 in wins in college football in the past 15 years... we have literally been better than 90%+ of all college football teams in that time... it's the most successful run in the history of the program.... but guess who is in that 10% that we haven't been better than? That's right... fucking OUsux. 

Bowl eligibility was a big deal when I was in school. We're now in the hunt most years for conference titles and a playoff spot. That we've come so close and fallen short so many times is really heart wrenching, but most people of my vintage and before understand how good we actually are in comparison to most programs. I rarely watch games outside of OSU but when I do I realize how easy it is for even blueblood programs to play horribly not only at times but for seasons at a time. I can't even remember the last time we played a truly horrific game from start to finish. Maybe the Bedlam shutout when Zac Robinson was concussed. Even the Daxx Garman et al. teams weren't blown out. Watching ASU, it's a team we should probably consider a peer, but we clearly have a huge advantage in talent and coaching. It's nice to have. But I want more, I want another goddamned conference title and a playoff spot, and I'd like to do it before the "OU/TX left" excuse.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2