Media/$9.95-er postgame analysis articles (Week 4)

satyanash

Tech a rival?

The fans stormed the field after the team beat a team that clearly has major problems?

The Tech coach acting like beating the this team was the greatest invasion since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

What are they smoking up in those parts?

Joey McGuire is serving up some delicious Kool-Aid.

Enjoy the Big12, you idoits.

We thought Patterson might fix PK’s inability to game plan against opponents. I’m sticking with my prediction from this summer that PK gets fired this year. It was totally unnecessary to be in this situation and now Sark will be on the coaching hot seat in year three. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hozz said:

Tech coach is a blow hard dipshit.  Shortly after saying "I told you they were going to break. And they did." he had this gem “I’m telling you all right now. The country is going to find out everything runs through Lubbock.”

It's not going to run through Lubbock. 

But McGuire is far from a dipshit. He stated the truth as we broke. Fucking folded with a double-digit lead. More so, McGuire's team of average athletes sells out and plays their asses off for him.

First job of a coach in any sport is to get players to buy in. McGuire seems much closer to that than Sarkisian is. Sad but true.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don't agree at all.  We didn't "break", what is he talking about?  What are you talking about?  We were up 31-17 in the 3rd and the play calls were largely dog shit on both sides of the ball from then on.  The end.  We weren't accidentally up 31-17.  There were no fluke plays like a 95 yard scoop and score.  We got out coached and this motherfucker went for it on 4th down 8 times and converted 6.  I can't recall ever seeing that.  I'm sure I have but its far from common.  The fact that our guys drove down the field and made a 48 yard FG with 20ish seconds left in regulation...that does not suggest a team breaking to me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Now tell us about what Joey told his team at halftime of the NC State game. Who gives a fuck about rah rah halftime speeches.

this.  Joey has buy in like South Austin's mom has buy in.  NC State didn't have a longhorn decal on their helmet.

1) The offense played well enough to win.  Card had a decent game.  The pick was frustrating because everyone knows he can't make that throw. 

2) OL is what it is. I tried to warn everyone going into the season it wasn't going to look pretty with all these young guys.  Junior being out sucks balls, but he's not coming back.

3) Our LBs lost us the game.  They were all abused in coverage.  Little dinks over the middle and crossers with LBs no where to be found.  Tech's offense is set up nicely to expose this.

4) We are the only team to ever get called for DPI on balls underthrown 10 yards with the WR trying to run directly through the DB to get to the errant pass.

5) All that being said, Tech needed 6/8 4th down conversions. If that number is 4/8, this game isn't close. Connelly's model had us at a 98% win postmortem. We actually moved up this week in my model.

6) It sucks to lose games that we should win. That's been this team's calling card for the last few seasons.  On one hand this is better than Strong, where we definitely were not competitive in games.   On the other hand, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory feels like ass.  We need to finish.  We need that star player on defense who gets the critical sack/int/PBU when it matters most.  I don't think we have that.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, JBJ said:

3) Our LBs lost us the game.  They were all abused in coverage.  Little dinks over the middle and crossers with LBs no where to be found.  Tech's offense is set up nicely to expose this.

3b)  We were far too aggressive on defense.  They diced up blitzes and it doesn't help the LBs any to cover the extra space. We were getting plenty of pressure without it anyway.

Despite what the announcers said they only completed 2 pass against drop 8 for 6 yards total.

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

3b)  We were far too aggressive on defense.  They diced up blitzes and it doesn't help the LBs any to cover the extra space. We were getting plenty of pressure without it anyway.

Despite what the announcers said they only completed 2 pass against drop 8 for 6 yards total.

I really don’t want to, but I’ll have to check it out again. Didn’t feel like we pressured enough

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Wait, that can't be right, can it? There were multiple times where we rushed only three and it resulted in easy first downs for Tech, or at least it felt that way. 

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I believe one was when Blackwell vacated his zone early and attacked the QB, who threw it right where he left. I might have been spying, but looked like he came from some depth live

I honestly think Texas needs to run some more man, which is more aggressive. They are just bad at zone. Lot of QB staring and grass guarding and very little pattern matching. Think they need to change up the coverage a bit more. It not that I dont like zone, but it is been a long time since I have seen a Texas team run it well. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Wait, that can't be right, can it? There were multiple times where we rushed only three and it resulted in easy first downs for Tech, or at least it felt that way. 

Unfortunately, we didn't really have a drive that featured it.  We used it as a curveball and it was effective as such.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

There is another 13 yard completion on 3rd and 20.  I skipped the split screen Judge plays and it happens right after.

There are some WR screens as well, but I don't typically count those as passing.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, JBJ said:

1) The offense played well enough to win.  Card had a decent game.  The pick was frustrating because everyone knows he can't make that throw. 

2) OL is what it is. I tried to warn everyone going into the season it wasn't going to look pretty with all these young guys.  Junior being out sucks balls, but he's not coming back.

4) We are the only team to ever get called for DPI on balls underthrown 10 yards with the WR trying to run directly through the DB to get to the errant pass.

5) All that being said, Tech needed 6/8 4th down conversions. If that number is 4/8, this game isn't close. Connelly's model had us at a 98% win postmortem. We actually moved up this week in my model.

6) It sucks to lose games that we should win. That's been this team's calling card for the last few seasons.  On one hand this is better than Strong, where we definitely were not competitive in games.   On the other hand, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory feels like ass.  We need to finish.  We need that star player on defense who gets the critical sack/int/PBU when it matters most.  I don't think we have that.

1. Offense played well enough to win, but they still get some blame for the 2nd half. 1 more TD or even just keeping the defense off the field longer would have been enough.

2. Yep. Pass pro is better than I expected though, run blocking way worse, but the youth is a big part of that. Bright future still. Wonder if we see Devon Campbell soon bc Hutson seems like the weakest link right now just by naked eye.

5. Exactly. Tech chose a high risk strategy and it worked out for them. That strategy could've easily led to a blowout win for us. The one caveat imo is that the defense allowed them to set up a bunch of makeable 4th downs. A lot of 4th and 2/3/4s from around midfield. 

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

This is surprising to read. Felt like we were too conservative watching it live. But I haven't broken it down.

Tech was 5/10 for 70 yds vs creepers or blitzes.  Downfield passing only.

That's actually not a terrible use of the blitz, but 3 plays went 10+ and 2 plays went 20+ on hots or crossers.  So it looks worse when you watch through.

It's a higher YPA than just playing it simple, but lower completion and I think 4 throwaways (one maybe had a chance).

Edited by JBJ

9 minutes ago, JBJ said:

That's actually not a terrible use of the blitz, but 3 plays went 10+ and 2 plays went 20+ on hots or crossers.  So it looks worse when you watch through.

It's a higher YPA than just playing it simple, but lower completion and I think 4 throwaways (one maybe had a chance).

Almost all of Tech's major damage came in the middle of the field. I actually thought our corners held up okay outside of Johnson getting toasted on the one play. To my untrained eye, Guilbeau really struggled in his snaps at nickel and our LB's sucked at getting good depth and reading the QB's eyes on their drops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JBJ said:

You are glutton for punishment. How many times did you rewatch this shit?

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I believe one was when Blackwell vacated his zone early and attacked the QB, who threw it right where he left. I might have been spying, but looked like he came from some depth live

I honestly think Texas needs to run some more man, which is more aggressive. They are just bad at zone. Lot of QB staring and grass guarding and very little pattern matching. Think they need to change up the coverage a bit more. It not that I dont like zone, but it is been a long time since I have seen a Texas team run it well. 

that play should be played in the locker room non stop, it's that stupid hero ball that the defense has returned to that killed us. Do your fucking job and trust the next guy to do his, they did a great job of this the first two games.