Forget including pics on resumes. Send a resume cake.

crash_davis

https://www.today.com/food/people/woman-prints-resume-cake-nike-rcna49247

cake-1148947-1664361847-1148947-16643619

Recently, the 27-year-old went viral for a LinkedIn post about her recent job application experience and the teamwork that went into it.

As Blackburn explained, with her mind set on a job at Nike, she decided to make a bold choice. A friend suggested that instead of submitting a job application the traditional way, she print her resume on top of a cake and send it to the Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon. After some research, she decided to send the cake on the day she knew a party would be at the headquarters.

As for Blackburn, she’s moving forward and is connected with the employer at Nike.

“I have a few meetings next week, so that’s exciting,” she explained. “Now that this has happened, there are a bunch of companies that are kind of involved in the process. So I’m just trying to figure out where I fit in, what’s the right fit culture-wise, and a company that has a good mission and is doing something great not just within their product, but for other people.”

woman-sends-resume-to-nike-on-cake-homep

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

god help every HR rep with open req's this next month or 2.

gonna be a shitload of copycats

yeah, first one kinda clever hope it works out for her that's some moxy etc, every fucking copycat... eh it'd be fun to have resume roasting cake parties in the break area although not the healthiest culture thing to do

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

". . . and a company that has a good mission and is doing something great not just within their product, but for other people.”

This cracks me up with young folks entering the workplace.  I get it, it feels right, but assuming you have any leverage whatsoever as a fresh grad and no experience is asinine.  Companies have been putting up with this shit in order to hire folks, but the clock is ticking.  Once a recession hits, this will disappear (outside of tech companies with no real product who have to leverage "making the world a better place" to sound like they do anything at all).  As much as millennials struggled to find work and financial stability during lean years, GenZ has had it way too easy.  It's going to be eye opening for them when everything shifts, and most of us know that shift is bearing down like a freight train.   

I'm always amused when a young person applies to work for us and asks what we're doing to make the world a better place.  I always explain that we do our job and we do it really well. We take pride in our work and provide a needed service to our clients.  We have a number of charitable giving programs, but if you want to save the planet or rescue orphans there are non profit organizations that would love the help.  I've only had one of them turn down a job offer, because most don't actually believe their bullshit.  Young people are just more empowered to speak their mind than they used to be, for better and worse.

I'm amazed how many organizations, including publicly traded ones, waste valuable time and resources discussing how they can improve the world.  Entire long-ass meetings led by someone with a business degree, but incapable of actually excelling in business, discussing philanthropy.  What an amazing amount of hubris, naiveté, and/or downright stupidity that requires.   Your consulting firm isn't going to improve living conditions in Uganda, or turn back the clock on climate change, so fuck off and get back to work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I would never ask "what do you guys do to make the world a better place" in an interview because I would already know the answer to that (and how that makes me feel about potentially working at that place) and my job in the interview is to convince the people on the other side of the table that they are not only interesting but good, not the other way around.

That said, I think it's absolutely reasonable to want to believe that you work on something that is beneficial to the world. I would do whatever I needed to do to support my family and I'm not going to weigh do goodedness above all other things but I'm not going to go work for Koch or Philip Morris or whatever. I'd hate to know or be the fresh faced grad who has already given up on being happy in their career.

On the business level, I am curious if it will go out of fashion to think that values/core mission/etc are important to organizational success. I kinda doubt it, although I think a lot of companies and leaders should understand what they are and what they are not (and they are not Steve Jobs).

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

This cracks me up with young folks entering the workplace.  I get it, it feels right, but assuming you have any leverage whatsoever as a fresh grad and no experience is asinine.  Companies have been putting up with this shit in order to hire folks, but the clock is ticking.  Once a recession hits, this will disappear (outside of tech companies with no real product who have to leverage "making the world a better place" to sound like they do anything at all).  As much as millennials struggled to find work and financial stability during lean years, GenZ has had it way too easy.  It's going to be eye opening for them when everything shifts, and most of us know that shift is bearing down like a freight train.   

I'm always amused when a young person applies to work for us and asks what we're doing to make the world a better place.  I always explain that we do our job and we do it really well. We take pride in our work and provide a needed service to our clients.  We have a number of charitable giving programs, but if you want to save the planet or rescue orphans there are non profit organizations that would love the help.  I've only had one of them turn down a job offer, because most don't actually believe their bullshit.  Young people are just more empowered to speak their mind than they used to be, for better and worse.

I'm amazed how many organizations, including publicly traded ones, waste valuable time and resources discussing how they can improve the world.  Entire long-ass meetings led by someone with a business degree, but incapable of actually excelling in business, discussing philanthropy.  What an amazing amount of hubris, naiveté, and/or downright stupidity that requires.   Your consulting firm isn't going to improve living conditions in Uganda, or turn back the clock on climate change, so fuck off and get back to work.

I can't wait to tell CHIEF Jr. to ask that question when he interviews at Lockheed-Martin. I'm sure the answer will be "we fuck up Russians."

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

On the business level, I am curious if it will go out of fashion to think that values/core mission/etc are important to organizational success. I kinda doubt it, although I think a lot of companies and leaders should understand what they are and what they are not (and they are not Steve Jobs).

I think having corporate values/core mission/etc. is very important.  Paying lip service to children with complete waste-of-time initiatives aimlessly striving to positively impact the world is complete nonsense, though, and evidence of little more than how much bloat most larger organizations carry.  As you said, companies should understand what they are, and way too many seem to think their role in the world is to bend to every trend and suck off every activist that sends them an angry tweet.  It's bizarre, reactionary, and serves no purpose.  There is an immense amount of value in doing a job well, both for employees, the company, and the world.  Striving to do this without causing harm to the earth or others is honorable and right.  Thinking that a company that exists to design video games, or provide accounting services, or build machines, or provide short term rentals is somehow best suited to make positive changes in a philanthropic way is ridiculous.  Donate money to those organizations that are actually designed do something about these issues and get back to work.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

E

S

G

Yep.  It's complete nonsense, and most corporations only pay lip service publicly to get assholes off their back.  True socially conscious investors are rare, even if plenty claim to be.  Most people will do exactly what they've always done and invest in what will make them the most money.  I think the internet has skewed our perception of what's real so much that we often end up working hard to placate people who don't actually exist.

• Hook 'Em 3