Texas Recruiting Notes 2026: NIL Deals for flying cars

texifornia

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

As seen above, we had been recruiting Julian hard and he was definitely reciprocating the love. Guessing he doesn't want to come in a year after Lacey

Dropping a top 8 before your sophomore year of high school seems a bit premature.

Who knows what the landscape will look like in 2 years, but there's a chance that 3 or 4 schools in his top 8 have new coaches by the time 2026 rolls around. If we don't have a 2026 or 2027 target in a couple years and for some reason Lacey doesn't look like he's going to be the answer, but we're coming off a couple of 10-win seasons, I'm sure we can find a way back into this recruitment. 

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Dropping a top 8 before your sophomore year of high school seems a bit premature.

Who knows what the landscape will look like in 2 years, but there's a chance that 3 or 4 schools in his top 8 have new coaches by the time 2026 rolls around. If we don't have a 2026 or 2027 target in a couple years and for some reason Lacey doesn't look like he's going to be the answer, but we're coming off a couple of 10-win seasons, I'm sure we can find a way back into this recruitment. 

QBs tend to shut down their recruitments a lot earlier than other position groups in order to try to be the class bellcow, so it does make somewhat more sense.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

QBs tend to shut down their recruitments a lot earlier than other position groups in order to try to be the class bellcow, so it does make somewhat more sense.

Sure. But I also remember Dylan Raiola committing to Ohio State after his sophomore season, and then a year later committing to Georgia. 

• 4 weeks later...
He’s committed to USC
It would be interesting to know what percentage of recruits who commit before their junior season actually sign with their original school? I'd guess the odds aren't great unless they're a legacy who always dreamed of playing for dad's school.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, closetohumping said:
He’s committed to USC

It would be interesting to know what percentage of recruits who commit before their junior season actually sign with their original school? I'd guess the odds aren't great unless they're a legacy who always dreamed of playing for dad's school.

I'd imagine QB is the exception

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I'm pretty young myself, but seeing kids named after LeBron are high school aged and being recruited is crazy. Jesus.

I remember thinking the exact same thing about 8 years ago when there were suddenly several Shaquilles littered across the college football landscape.

Edited by Hornlover

24 minutes ago, Getafix said:

How crazy is this ...

- a 2026 QB named Quinn Murphy.

- from Austin, Texas.

He has profiles on 247 and On3, so it's not someone pulling a Gotch Yarbrough?

image.thumb.png.9e0fb5026b6a43fd6885831b1e253bef.png

image.thumb.png.65f5304063a695f90e87eea5b8ae2c39.png

Yeah, someone with the first name Quinn and last name Murphy seems like a super, super unlikely combo. Next thing you’ll tell me there’s a Sean Miller or a Kevin O’Donnell. Maybe a Paddy O’Neil knocking around. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, someone with the first name Quinn and last name Murphy seems like a super, super unlikely combo. Next thing you’ll tell me there’s a Sean Miller or a Kevin O’Donnell. Maybe a Paddy O’Neil knocking around. 

The combo isn't unlikely.

What is - super, super unlikely - is a recruit

- from the same town

- who plays the same position

- as two players at the local school, one a starter with that recruit's first name, another his backup with the recruit's last name.

That's the point.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The combo isn't unlikely.

What is - super, super unlikely - is a recruit

- from the same town

- who plays the same position

- as two players at the local school, one a starter with that recruit's first name, another his backup with the recruit's last name.

That's the point.

Everyone understod the point. But no one found it nearly as remarkable as you. Certainly not enough for a super serious follow up after any surlyite did a drive by assholish comment.