Jam bands

MajorTexas

Any jam band fans here? I’ve seen this relatively new jam band names Goose. I’ve seen them 4 times since June. An incredible group that gets progressively better each show.

Both these shows were incredible live. I was able to see them at stubs & ACL weekend one. I highly recommend this band to any jam band fans.

Edited by MajorTexas
  • Like 1

Haven’t heard of them. I’ll check them out when I get a chance.

My concert going days are pretty much over but I used to be big into jam bands and improvisational music in general. A friend and I once considered publishing a magazine/website devoted to jam bands similar to Relix or jambands.com. We even registered a domain. But ultimately we decided it would be too hard to make money at it and didn’t go any farther than that.

Best jam band that not many people know about: KVHW. All their live stuff is up on archive.org. (They were only around for 2 years and never entered the studio.) They were a perfect jam band. Every song was jammed out and very different every time played. Their name came from the initials of the band members: Steve Kimock, Bobby Vega, Alan Hertz, Ray White. They killed. Sadly, I only got to see them twice. Once at the Henry J. Kaiser in Oakland and once at Wetlands in NYC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Haven’t heard of them. I’ll check them out when I get a chance.

My concert going days are pretty much over but I used to be big into jam bands and improvisational music in general. A friend and I once considered publishing a magazine/website devoted to jam bands similar to Relix or jambands.com. We even registered a domain. But ultimately we decided it would be too hard to make money at it and didn’t go any farther than that.

Best jam band that not many people know about: KVHW. All their live stuff is up on archive.org. (They were only around for 2 years and never entered the studio.) They were a perfect jam band. Every song was jammed out and very different every time played. Their name came from the initials of the band members: Steve Kimock, Bobby Vega, Alan Hertz, Ray White. They killed. Sadly, I only got to see them twice. Once at the Henry J. Kaiser in Oakland and once at Wetlands in NYC. 

Can you link a live set? I’d love to check them out! 

Just now, MajorTexas said:

Holy crap this is amazing!!!

Great recommendation thank you so much! I’m sending this over to my buddy. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I enjoy the incarnations of the Grateful Dead and Umphrey’s McGee.  

Are you familiar with pigeons playing ping pong? 

Yeah, Goose is legit. Actually touring / co-headlining with Trey Anastasio Band this week and doing some collaborations across the sets.

I like some of Marco Benevetos stuff. And if you want some old school classics find some mid 90s Widespread Panic live shows (before Mike Houser got sick). Also, Medeski Martin & Wood did some amazing experimental jammy jazz stuff.

4 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Yeah, Goose is legit. Actually touring / co-headlining with Trey Anastasio Band this week and doing some collaborations across the sets.

I like some of Marco Benevetos stuff. And if you want some old school classics find some mid 90s Widespread Panic live shows (before Mike Houser got sick). Also, Medeski Martin & Wood did some amazing experimental jammy jazz stuff.

I’ve been watching clips of goose & Trey on YouTube, the shows look amazing. I’m want to go to Goosemas in Denver. Also, wide spread panic is great too…. I put on a few song from Medeski- very enjoyable. Thanks for the recommendation! 

• 1 month later...

I've loved every Umphrey's show I've ever been to (probably 6 or 7 over the years - they played the hell out of the Midwest when I was in college).

But I have a hard time really getting into jam band recordings all that much.  Even good live ones.  

Jam bands are like baseball for me - always enjoy seeing it live, rarely get into it in broadcasted/recorded form.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A lot of artists I real dig will jam, but aren't necessarily jam bands.  Artists that are focused on being great songwriters, but can improvise or stretch songs out in a live setting is the sweet spot for me.  Think Pearl Jam, Drive-By Truckers, Neil Young.  Just to name a few.

The level of improvisation or virtuosity isn't quite there for "jam band" status, but it's on dipping it's toes in.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 12/17/2022 at 4:21 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

I’m shocked that WSP sold out most nights of this austin run. Not ready to go stubhub route but if anyone here winds up with extra for first or last night, lmk.

Don't go Stubhub.  There are sites where fans sell tix for face (cashortrade.org) and social media groups where you'll be able to find the tix you need.

Closer to show dates, they'll pop up, as folks realize they can't use the tickets they bought 4 months prior.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Don't go Stubhub.  There are sites where fans sell tix for face (cashortrade.org) and social media groups where you'll be able to find the tix you need.

Closer to show dates, they'll pop up, as folks realize they can't use the tickets they bought 4 months prior.

Redditt can be a good source as well.. I have met trusted sellers for certain shows.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...