Air Compressors

So, I got a pretty sweet 6-gallon Dewalt air compressor as a gift, but it wasn’t something I really thought I had a use for. Trying to figure out what accessories are truly best for that kind of system, as opposed to something that works just as well without having to drag around a tank.

I currently have a decent electric paint sprayer. It works fine for smaller jobs indoors, but I need to stain about a 1000’ of fence, so I’m thinking a good sprayer would be worth it for that task. Anybody got advice there?

Also, interested in anything else y’all might have gotten that turned out to be super helpful as air-compressed. I do have a nail gun for it, so no need to get into those suggestions.

Edited by SquishMitten

13 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Nail gun, impact wrench, air ratchet. Then you go down the rabbit hole of all of the tools/attachments for the wrench and ratchet. That’s a four to five digit $ amount itself.

Then once you have all that, a nice orbital sander and maybe an Ajax air hammer.

And then, maybe you will consider getting a bigger air compressor!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So, I got a pretty sweet 6-gallon Dewalt air compressor as a gift, but it wasn’t something I really thought I had a use for. Trying to figure out what accessories are truly best for that kind of system, as opposed to something that works just as well without having to drag around a tank.
I currently have a decent electric paint sprayer. It works fine for smaller jobs indoors, but I need to stain about a 1000’ of fence, so I’m thinking a good sprayer would be worth it for that task. Anybody got advice there?
Also, interested in anything else y’all might have gotten that turned out to be super helpful as air-compressed. I do have a nail gun for it, so no need to get into those suggestions.
I have a 60g vert compressor and use it all the time. Make sure you have a water filter with a drain on it. Also make sure you drain your compressor quarterly of water.

However, you don't need a compressor for a non-auto paint sprayer. I just sprayed our fence for the year (264') and I use a Graco Magnum sprayer it took me 2 hours with 2 coats.

The key to a good electrical spayer is to ensure you have the correct tip for it so your coverage is even and smooth based upon the material you're spraying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have a 5hp scroll compressor in a noise reduction box and the companies that support it suck. I have a small leak and was told $200 to come out to find the leak. I said fine when can you come out. He said they could come out the next day, but one more thing: There is a $1500 minimum.

So, it looks like I'm gonna become an expert in compressor repair. There is also no consistency in pricing for new units. It seems like it is an industry with very little competition. At least, they behave that way. Like parts often cost more than the whole unit, one company charges 40% more than another for the same product, and one manufacturer lists their unit for $2,500 while a competitor lists theirs for $14,000 yet both contain many of the same OEM parts.

I have a 5hp scroll compressor in a noise reduction box and the companies that support it suck. I have a small leak and was told $200 to come out to find the leak. I said fine when can you come out. He said they could come out the next day, but one more thing: There is a $1500 minimum.
So, it looks like I'm gonna become an expert in compressor repair. There is also no consistency in pricing for new units. It seems like it is an industry with very little competition. At least, they behave that way. Like parts often cost more than the whole unit, one company charges 40% more than another for the same product, and one manufacturer lists their unit for $2,500 while a competitor lists theirs for $14,000 yet both contain many of the same OEM parts.
Use Windex for the leak or if you want to spring for a UE gun. We use UE guns on the industrial side and it's amazing as they can detect an air leak from across the room.

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Use Windex for the leak or if you want to spring for a UE gun. We use UE guns on the industrial side and it's amazing as they can detect an air leak from across the room.

Thanks. My biggest concern since it isn't my area of expertise is what to do when I find the leak. I assume it will be a hose or a connection point (clamp, etc). Then I'll have to call tech support and give them a photo because I have no clue where to find the proper size and type of hose/clamp for 150PSI. Home Depot is unlikely but Amazon sometimes has that kind of stuff.

Thanks. My biggest concern since it isn't my area of expertise is what to do when I find the leak. I assume it will be a hose or a connection point (clamp, etc). Then I'll have to call tech support and give them a photo because I have no clue where to find the proper size and type of hose/clamp for 150PSI. Home Depot is unlikely but Amazon sometimes has that kind of stuff.
What I've seen in my walk of life are connections. People tighten them and let them be. Depending on the system and design the end user may have upwards of 20 drops plus 4x that in connections. People never go back and retorque the connections periodically.

Cool fact it takes 8HP of air to make 1 HP of usable air. A 1/16" air leak at 7 cents a KW hr cost roughly $580 a year, and that's one leak. I've never worked on a pneumatic system that had one leak. Making compressed air is the most expensive utility (and misused) in the industrial world.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Find a local hydraulic hose shop. I've had a guy fab me up stuff for pneumatic applications I thought I was screwed on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, pops said:

Find a local hydraulic hose shop. I've had a guy fab me up stuff for pneumatic applications I thought I was screwed on. 

I didn't even know such a place existed. And I still haven't much of a clue what to look for in Austin. I just have to turn my head to find a CBD shop, though.

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I didn't even know such a place existed. And I still haven't much of a clue what to look for in Austin. I just have to turn my head to find a CBD shop, though.

I dont live in Austin so I'm no help but I'm sure someone here will chime in. Just Google hydraulic hose shop and I'll bet you find something.