Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

I see it as high 4*+ guys expecting to come in and play as freshmen, then don't and leave (Johnson), or see that RT is recruiting over them with transfers and aren't interested in playing that game with RT which is totally understandable. High school recruiting strategy/roster management feels like it's some serious ass right now. RT has to be honest with himself and the recruits about their role, actually play and try to develop them, or stop trying to recruit this type of player though.

Edited by Teryor

57 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I see it as high 4*+ guys expecting to come in and play as freshmen, then don't and leave (Johnson), or see that RT is recruiting over them with transfers and aren't interested in playing that game with RT which is totally understandable. High school recruiting strategy/roster management feels like it's some serious ass right now. RT has to be honest with himself and the recruits about their role, actually play and try to develop them, or stop trying to recruit this type of player though.

Yep, posted in the basketball board, but the roster management needs to be more organized. Instant impact freshman and guys willing to wait are the only high school players we should be recruiting.

If Cam Scott doesn’t fit either of those, then we shouldn’t have signed him in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So depth with the potential of getting his better teammate. With our recent successes with Terry I fully expect us not to get the teammate.

I view him as more than depth, absolutely at least a rotation player type at 20-25mpg with a chance to be a starter depending on who else we shake out of the portal

27 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247

image.thumb.png.71a061b0980d7de68282b065f9d6c7f0.png

This is where I start to get a little worried about the RT roster building project though he'd be the best of the transfers we've had so far, lotta ball dominant types only one ball

This was from Eric Henry at 247 who frankly is almost always useless but reading between the lines

Mark and Kent join a Texas roster with guard Chendall Weaver and three forwards — Ze'Rik Onyema, Kadin Shedrick and Devon Pryor — set to return in addition to the incoming Johnson and true freshman forward Nic Codie.

Doesn't seem like Hunter and Mitchell are expected back

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Teryor said:

This is where I start to get a little worried about the RT roster building project though he'd be the best of the transfers we've had so far, lotta ball dominant types only one ball

If Hunter is gone, like we assume, I don’t think it’s too overboard. We definitely need a PG.

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You just got your wish. 

Well damn, 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Larry makes a ton of sense with those other guards. 

Floor general to add around a bunch of other guards that can score. 

Larry can play with dominant guards for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I guess we will have PFs but will we have a center who is any good?

That's the idea behind getting the 3rd of the ISU trio. Think we need 2 more bigs still (I'm assuming Mitchell is gone), a starter and someone who's able to be more of depth, Garrison and Wolf are the others we've been connected to besides Avila. 

4 minutes ago, Teryor said:

That's the idea behind getting the 3rd of the ISU trio. Think we need 2 more bigs still (I'm assuming Mitchell is gone), a starter and someone who's able to be more of depth, Garrison and Wolf are the others we've been connected to besides Avila. 

Garrison and Avila would be ideal. An athletic big and then a more skilled big. Seems unlikely both would come here though but I guess never say never. 

Terry had that comment this week about the ball being in Hunter and Mitchell’s court in terms of returning, but they certainly seem to be attacking the portal with the assumption neither will be back. 

Go get Pope and Garrison and let’s cook.

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I think the 3rd ISU guy will be a PF at Texas.

Wolf posted a “not to be contacted” notation on his portal entry, which usually indicates that a college destination has already been chosen.

Edited by Bevo

8 minutes ago, Teryor said:

As far as we know…

Did anyone even have Tramon Mark on the radar? 

1 minute ago, utfan87 said:

Let’s go get the guys from a team that didn’t make the tournament. Yippee 

Dalton Knecht played at JUCO and Northern Colorado and never made the tournament. 2024 SEC POY and First Team AA

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dalton Knecht played at JUCO and Northern Colorado and never made the tournament. 2024 SEC POY and First Team AA

Stop comparing these guys to Dalton Knecht he was a DUDE for his team. He was avg 20+ a game. 

Edited by utfan87
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Stop comparing these guys to Dalton Knecht he was a DUDE for his team. He was avg 20+ a game. 

You're right, Julian Larry sucks. It's why Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, etc reached out to him and several were trying to get a visit. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You're right, Julian Larry sucks. It's why Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, etc reached out to him and several were trying to get a visit. 

Like Bill Self would ever take a mid major transfer whose teams never made the NCAAT…like Nick Timberlake 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Like Bill Self would ever take a mid major transfer whose school never made the NCAAT…like Nick Timberlake 

@utfan87just sees a player from Indiana State and thinks they suck. 

That Indiana State team was legit last year which is why a lot of big programs want Larry and Avila. 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Indiana State should have made the tournament and finished top 40 in Kenpom. 

This is a really bad argument. 

Yep, they won 32 games this year. But the selection committee decided to rock with sorry ass Virginia.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I’ve never seen any of these guys play, but they all sound quite a bit better than Lebron James.

This is funny but a lot of people actually watched that Indiana State team last year. 

They were really fun with Avilla and those guards. The NCAA committee should be ashamed they let a sorry-ass Virginia team make the tournament over a team like Indiana State. 

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yep, they won 32 games this year. But the selection committee decided to rock with sorry ass Virginia.

So now just making the tournament is the barometer for a successful season. Out of the transfers we took outside of weaver who would you consider a positive addition? I am totally basing this off of RT not knowing how to construct a team 

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

So now just making the tournament is the barometer for a successful season. Out of the transfers we took outside of weaver who would you consider a positive addition? I am totally basing this off of RT not knowing how to construct a team 

1) Weaver? You mean Mark who is one of the best transfers in the portal. 

2) Only a complete moron wouldn't think that Larry is a positive addition. Schools like Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, and TCU all had legit interest. But I'll take your word over Scott Drew and Bill Self. 

Unless you're referring to last year's roster which makes no sense in the context of Lonestar's response. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Ignoring how your response is a complete non-sequitur to mine. You do realize that Weaver also came from a team that didn’t make the NCAA tournament right?

You aren’t making a coherent argument at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Ignoring how your response is a complete non-sequitur to mine. You do realize that Weaver also came from a team that didn’t make the NCAA tournament right?

You aren’t making a coherent argument at all.

Blaming last year's roster on the players RT added from the portal also seems like a really bad argument. IMO, 2 of the top 3 players on last year's team were players added by RT (Abmas and Weaver).

Texas didn't reach their ceiling last year because they were expecting Hunter and Mitchell to be much better and they simply weren't. If anything, I blame last season on not being more active in the portal and recruiting over somebody like Mitchell with Kaluma. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Uh, you were the one who established disappointment since ISU didn’t make the tournament…

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Uh, you were the one who established disappointment since ISU didn’t make the tournament…

It's also just a terrible fucking argument. 

Garrison, Avila, Mark, and Pope are all considered top transfers. None made the tournament this past season. I guess we shouldn't add any of these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Terry had that comment this week about the ball being in Hunter and Mitchell’s court in terms of returning, but they certainly seem to be attacking the portal with the assumption neither will be back. 

Go get Pope and Garrison and let’s cook.

There is zero reason we should want Hunter back if we are also the favorites for Pope. 

I still think Mitchell makes some sense if we add somebody like Avila and Garrison doesn't want to come here. Mitchell can be the athletic 4 to pair with Avila (a more skilled big) and Shedrick (a more prototypical 5). 

I would prefer Garrison and Avila though but that seems unlikely 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There is zero reason we should want Hunter back if we are also the favorites for Pope. 

I still think Mitchell makes some sense if we add somebody like Avila and Garrison doesn't want to come here. Mitchell can be the athletic 4 to pair with Avila (a more skilled big) and Shedrick (a more prototypical 5). 

I would prefer Garrison and Avila though but that seems unlikely 

Any hope getting in on Zvonimir Ivisic?