Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Only 23 minutes per game, but he led the country in usage rate during those. This is a guy I’d be worried about fitting in. He’s gonna have to be willing to buy into a much smaller role with Beard.

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This was the biggest problem. 

All the players listed above by @Dbeasy were recruited as role players other than Abmas.  They were expecting Disu, Hunter, and Mitchell to be starting caliber players and only 1 of those was truly a starting caliber player. 

If you add just 1 transfer that was an above average Big 12 starter in place of Hunter and Mitchell, this Texas team would have been much better. 

Okay I better understand what you are saying now. So that means Terry brought in a bunch of role players who didn’t even deliver well as role players, like Horton, AND he misread the talent level of guys he already had on staff. I agree with others that late in the year Shedrick looked better than early. Either way, the roster didn’t look good overall. 

So, I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the final incoming group once all the dust settles. I’ve learned over the years in both sports and business that usually excuses end up being just that, excuses. Maybe this time will be different. 

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I agree with others that late in the year Shedrick looked better than early. 

I really like Shedrick and if he could stay healthy, I'd prioritize a rim protector in the portal.

But he can't, so I fully expect RT to bring in another athletic tweener. Hopefully this one has a jump shot. We'll need the points. 

That Trilly Donovan guy posted an update on Garrison in some private channel he has. Said he’s hearing it’s OU vs a return to OSU, with a return to OSU gaining more steam. Didn’t mention Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That Trilly Donovan guy posted an update on Garrison in some private channel he has. Said he’s hearing it’s OU vs a return to OSU, with a return to OSU gaining more steam. Didn’t mention Texas.

Weird choice for a player of his caliber. A coach that hasn't made the tournament in 3 years at OU and a new coaching staff at Oklahoma State.

But @closetojumpingseems to be implying that his handlers want more $ than his actual value. 

From Eric Bossi at 247Sports.

(QUOTE FROM INTRO)

"Would expect more yesses for Texas in the near future."

(ON POPE)

image.thumb.png.97c59b8af5c5bfced219ed7cfc57b4c8.png

(ON TRAMON MARK)

TRAMON MARK, FROM ARKANSAS TO TEXAS

New Longhorn Tramon Mark (Photo: Petre Thomas, USA TODAY Sports)
Tramon Mark entered the transfer portal in the 2023 cycle looking for a featured role with the ball in his hands. He got it at Arkansas. The 6-foot-6, 185-pound wing parlayed the highest usage rate of his career into one of the best individual seasons of his career. Mark totaled 16.2 points per game with career-best shooting splits across the board.

But he didn't win. Arkansas (16-17, 6-12 in SEC play) was one of the bigger disappointments this past season.

Arkansas' bumpy road can be Texas' smooth sailing.

A former Houston rotation staple, Mark didn't suddenly turn into a losing player at Arkansas. Everything that could've gone wrong with the Hogs in 2023-24, went wrong.

Mark returns to his roots in the Lone Star State as a new and improved version of himself. Rodney Terry is getting one of the best isolation scorers in the country who shot over 73% at the rim which was one of the top marks nationally. Mark was also extremely efficient in pick-and-rolls this past season. He can create offense for himself in waves. Mark drew 4.9 fouls per 40 minutes and shot 80% at the stripe. He also splashed a career-best 36% from downtown on 99 attempts.

Simply put, Mark checks off a bunch of boxes on both ends. He's the rangy, ball-handling, shot-creating wing that Texas' roster really didn't have last year. He's a fifth-year veteran who will sit down and guard and take some pressure off five-star freshman wing Tre Johnson.

Mark to Texas just works.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 9

Mark seems like a baller on both ends. Pope would be awesome and Larry seems like a good pickup. Add Weaver and Tre Johnson and that's an excellent 5-man rotation at the 1-3 positions. Three stud scorers and a few stud defenders. 

Then just need 1-2 more bigs.

On 4/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Womack (OB) is apparently saying the reason Scott wanted out of his Letter of intent is because Texas is going to land a higher rated wing prospect. 

This sounds like it could be Billy Richmond. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Feels like this is the more likely one since it's somebody we offered but it could also be Karter Knox. 

Another Kentucky decommit, wing, and higher rated than Scott. 

Either one would be nice. Just really interesting how someone would decommit  before it’s official but maybe these deals really are kept under wraps for longer than I certainly think. I think Scott was going to be solid too, really hope this isn’t a “we’re texas” guarantee and really just a guarantee on either. 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:24 AM, Teryor said:

Carey Booth did an interview and broke down the teams recruiting him and maybe he's not a priority but when this is the best you can say about RT/the program compared to the other schools well lmao

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wow, he took their smaller offer I guess, or they said fuck it to his $1m request.

His GF is also playing at Kansas next year.

I've never understood the Storr hype. He's a legit scorer but pretty bad at everything else. I would straight up take Mark over him and especially if it doesn't involve us getting into some type of bidding war. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

His GF is also playing at Kansas next year.

I've never understood the Storr hype. He's a legit scorer but pretty bad at everything else. I would straight up take Mark over him and especially if it doesn't involve us getting into some type of bidding war. 

I know we live in a new basketball reality, but not once playing consecutive years with the same team for his entire college and high school career still feels like a red flag.

17 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know we live in a new basketball reality, but not once playing consecutive years with the same team for his entire college and high school career still feels like a red flag.

Mr. Stability

I’m sure that all of his grades transferred every year. 

(Actually, I wonder what year was the one when he last attended a class.)

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Mr. Stability

I’m sure that all of his grades transferred every year. 

(Actually, I wonder what year was the one when he last attended a class.)

Would have to assume that some of those credits aren’t transferring equally at all those schools and he probably doesn’t have a degree done at this point…

52 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Interesting that nobody is following Schertz to SLU. Obviously posting because of Avila implications.

Off-topic, but I'm curious why Schertz went to SLU from ISU.

Is it that much better of a job? Does it pay that much better? I guess the A10 is more likely to get more than one team in the NCAA tournament, unlike the new MVC. His alma mater is FAU, so no ties there. I can't nail down an obvious reason.

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Off-topic, but I'm curious why Schertz went to SLU from ISU.

Is it that much better of a job? Does it pay that much better? I guess the A10 is more likely to get more than one team in the NCAA tournament, unlike the new MVC. His alma mater is FAU, so no ties there. I can't nail down an obvious reason.

He made 365k a year at Indiana State, Saint Louis is paying him 2 million per year. So yeah, the pay is that much better.

Indiana State did offer him a raise, but the highest they got was 850k. 

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

He made 365k a year at Indiana State, Saint Louis is paying him 2 million per year. So yeah, the pay is that much better.

Indiana State did offer him a raise, but the highest they got was 850k. 

Makes total sense then. Thank you.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

https://okstate.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/brandon-garrison/11148

https://www.on3.com/db/brandon-garrison-12509/

He's no Cream Abdul-Jabbar, but would address a major need if he can evolve into a defensive big.

Maybe you're being sarcastic but I think a lot of people have an inflated opinion of Avila. Garrison is ranked above Avila in the 247 and On3 rankings. He's also clearly the big we seem to be prioritizing. 

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe you're being sarcastic but I think a lot of people have an inflated opinion of Avila. Garrison is ranked above Avila in the 247 and On3 rankings. He's also clearly the big we seem to be prioritizing. 

Avila seems more like a PF. We could really use both.