2024 NBA draft - Bronny in the top ten?

closetohumping

On 4/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, Royal Horn said:

Every time I saw Bronny play this year, all I saw him do was stand around on both ends of the floor without much intensity whatsoever.

Rarely do the kids of legends come even remotely close to what their dads did.  Nobody would even be talking about Bronny if he had a different last name.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I've ever seen an NBA draft as messy and unpredictable as this one. I suppose there will be a little more clarity once the lottery goes down, but probably not much.

Iin the meantime here is a consensus draft that takes input from the Athletic, ESPN, The Ringer, Tankathon, Yahoo, and a bunch more of them.

image.thumb.png.aced9e56cc74c702ed686d3b479181ea.png

I do think it's most likely that Sarr ends up number 1. I think that scouts will look at all the other guys and say fuck it, let's default to drafting the biggest most athletic dude with the highest upside. But who knows? Each guy has some serious flaws, including Sarr.

• Risacher was thought to be maybe the safest prospect who at worst case would be a serviceable three and D guy, but his shooting has gone into the toilet over the past several weeks. And people are wondering which part of his season is the aberration.
  • Topic got hurt just when his team stepped up in class and has been slow to recover from something that was perceived to be minor. Another guy with suspect outside shooting. You also wonder if he can guard anybody.
  • Dillingham is undersized and a poor defender.
  • Clingan is not really built for the modern game.
  • Sheppard is undersized and white athletically limited.
  • Buzelis can't shoot.
  • Castle can't shoot, either.
  • Cody Williams was injured, often invisible, and has a sketchy 3 point shooting projection.
  • Ron Holland is yet another guy who can't shoot.

One guy who I kinda have my eye on is Jared McCain from Duke. He's one of the better shooters in the draft, a surprisingly decent rebounder for his size, and probably a better athlete and defender than given credit for. I think he's going to shoot up the board as we get closer to the draft.

I'm interested to see where the older guys like Dalton Knecht, Devin Carter and Terrance Shannon go. In this draft in particular, teams may opt for more established prospects earlier in than we've seen in the past.

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't know that I've ever seen an NBA draft as messy and unpredictable as this one. I suppose there will be a little more clarity once the lottery goes down, but probably not much.

Iin the meantime here is a consensus draft that takes input from the Athletic, ESPN, The Ringer, Tankathon, Yahoo, and a bunch more of them.

I do think it's most likely that Sarr ends up number 1. I think that scouts will look at all the other guys and say fuck it, let's default to drafting the biggest most athletic dude with the highest upside. But who knows? Each guy has some serious flaws, including Sarr.

• Risacher was thought to be maybe the safest prospect who at worst case would be a serviceable three and D guy, but his shooting has gone into the toilet over the past several weeks. And people are wondering which part of his season is the aberration.
  • Topic got hurt just when his team stepped up in class and has been slow to recover from something that was perceived to be minor. Another guy with suspect outside shooting. You also wonder if he can guard anybody.
  • Buzelis can't shoot.
  • Cody Williams was injured, often invisible, and has a sketchy 3 point shooting projection.

One guy who I kinda have my eye on is Jared McCain from Duke. He's one of the better shooters in the draft, a surprisingly decent rebounder for his size, and probably a better athlete and defender than given credit for. I think he's going to shoot up the board as we get closer to the draft.

I'm interested to see where the older guys like Dalton Knecht, Devin Carter and Terrance Shannon go. In this draft in particular, teams may opt for more established prospects earlier in than we've seen in the past.

Cody Williams was really coming into his own right before he got hurt and was never right for the rest of the season.  He's going to be a good one but does need to work on his 3.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Reed Sheppard being projected #6 overall just blows my mind.  He doesn't even look like a guy who should be in the first round.

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Figured he lost money after his ncaat performance. 

Well, I'll be damned. Sheppard actually declared and forwent his remaining eligibility. I did not expect that to happen. I wonder how much the coaching change influenced it?

The pre-draft workouts and scrimmages (G League Elite Camp) and the following combine in May are going to really alter these mocks - much more so than many years, I'd bet.

Regarding Sheppard, it's also a matter of next year's draft class being much deeper/better, so it probably pushes him down a few slots if he comes back. But anytime you can go first round, much less projected in the top 15 -- or even better top 10 -- you gotta go. You're an idiot if you don't.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Cody Williams was really coming into his own right before he got hurt and was never right for the rest of the season.  He's going to be a good one but does need to work on his 3.

He's one of the guys I'm really high on but I do wonder how much of his projection is based on his brother. I mean, a 2-3 inch taller version of Jalen Williams is an extremely enticing prospect. He was also playing on a veteran team so he wasn't featured as much as you would probably like to see. So just like the rest of them, it's a difficult evaluation. The interviews and workouts will be critical for him but it's probably going to come down to how much you believe in his shooting.

• Like 1

Why are people surprised the guy who shot over 50% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game and added 4 rebounds, 4.5 assists, and 2.5 steals in under 30 minutes a game is leaving to be a guaranteed lottery pick with potential to be in the top 5?

10 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

• Buzelis can't shoot.

I'd take Castle ahead of Sheppard all day long. Dude is smoove. 

On 4/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

• Buzelis can't shoot.

i like McCain too.  i'm hoping for one of McCaiin, Williams, or Castle for the Rockets if they end up picking #9.