2024 NBA draft - Bronny in the top ten?

closetohumping

I've watched Bronny.  For quite a while, he wasn't even the best prospect on his team.  He is very twitchy though, and apparently smart and a great defender.  Recent mocks have placed him in the top ten which is a steep climb.  Couple of months ago there was thought that he was a D1 college player who would be an UFA.

He's very solid all around and clearly has a high IQ but I've never seen anything from him talent-wise that wows me. I'm sure he'll find his way to the league but his body and athleticism don't scream lottery pick. If you're going top 10 as a 6'3" 19 year old you should have some holy shit factor and he just doesn't. He has good bounce and speed but nothing elite (okay he has elite bounce). He doesn't seem to play bigger than his height and seems to have an average wingspan.

He's obviously a priority recruiting target and will contribute as a freshman but one-and-done top 10 pick? There's no fucking way in hell if he had a different name on his jersey. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

For example - I've seen Mitchell floated as around as a comp. Donovan is a little shorter but he spent 2 years in college before being drafted 13th. 

Here are some high school highlights. 

Bronny is better skills-wise but he doesn't have that same effortless athleticism. 

On further review Bronny's bounce is definitely elite. I guess I was watching some of the wrong videos. 

Edited by ztejas

I don't know how the kid will do. I do think it's horrible how ESPN.com has been all over this kid, for years, now showing highlights and seemingly a new story every time you go to ESPN to check a score. There it is on their front page. I've seen a couple highlight videos and he looks good but, you always have to look at who they are playing against.

He's in a no-win situation. There is no way he can follow his father's career and hope to be as good. Then, he will be hounded because he's not as good as his dad. I'm no LeBron fan but, I think the kid is up against it and I hope his dad is not pushing this but, I think he is. I don't think the kid would ever be given a break by anyone in the NBA because so many of those guys will remember what his dad did to them. I think guys would take it upon themselves to show LeBron's son who is the boss, especially once LeBron is out of the league.

I don't wish him well, or ill, I just think he's been thrust into an untenable situation and in the and he will get beaten down by the pressure of expectations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's very solid all around and clearly has a high IQ but I've never seen anything from him talent-wise that wows me. I'm sure he'll find his way to the league but his body and athleticism don't scream lottery pick. If you're going top 10 as a 6'3" 19 year old you should have some holy shit factor and he just doesn't. He has good bounce and speed but nothing elite (okay he has elite bounce). He doesn't seem to play bigger than his height and seems to have an average wingspan.

He's obviously a priority recruiting target and will contribute as a freshman but one-and-done top 10 pick? There's no fucking way in hell if he had a different name on his jersey. 

Bounce is well below a guy like Ja?

Comparisons are tough, but could he be Avery Bradley?  Smallish guy, great athlete, great defender, eventually found jumper.  Avery was the #1 guy in his class if I recall.

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Bounce is well below a guy like Ja?

I mean yeah he isn't Morant but his leaping ability is a lot better than I thought. 

I guess he just doesn't seem that explosive or game breaking to me. He has the skill set to be an NBA player but he isn't physically imposing at the high school level and doesn't quite have the ball-handling or shooting of guys like Garland and Trae Young (who are the last two sub 6'4" top 10 picks). Collin Sexton is the other recent one - and I think he was both a better athlete and shot creator. 

It's possible his evaluation winds up being really high because there just aren't any holes in his game but typically if someone undersized is getting drafted that high and that early they have a couple off-the-charts markers and Bronny doesn't have any by my eye (his IQ and passing seem to be where he rates highest).

Idk about Bradley as that was 15 years ago. The draft pool is so much deeper now and the game has changed a lot. 

Edited by ztejas

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

This is the third cardiac arrest of a young male athlete I have heard of this month.  The other two were in our local community.  I'm sure it is all just a strange coincidence though.

I mean there is this thing called the internet. You may have heard of it, it allows for information to travel in near real time and instantaneous fashion all across the earth. 

Did you know that at this exact moment, more people are looking at pimples being popped, sometimes the same pimple that aren't a coincidence? When your sample size becomes immensely huge coincidence isn't really part of the equation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, alincoln said:

"relative rise was most significant for the youngest group, ages 25 to 44. "

The youngest age group this study examined was 25-44. Bronny isn't in this age group, and likely neither are the two young athletes in your community. I don't know of any data for 19-21 year olds or younger, although that may be out there.

But you know what? One of my high school classmates also collapsed and died due to cardiac arrest. In 2005. What a strange coincidence!

36 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Lol. 

26 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

The youngest age group this study examined was 25-44. Bronny isn't in this age group, and likely neither are the two young athletes in your community. I don't know of any data for 19-21 year olds or younger, although that may be out there.

But you know what? One of my high school classmates also collapsed and died due to cardiac arrest. In 2005. What a strange coincidence!

Yes, exactly.  And even that rise shown is nothing like our resident cardiologist’s situation, seeing people dropping like flies all over his community.  

39 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Does this mean Hank Gathers got the Covid vaccine way before all of us!!

If I'm Lebron, billionaire athlete who's pushing 40 and a guy with a lot of business ventures going on, I retire from the NBA and go be with my family. That shit happening to one of my kids is terrifying to think about. Fuck basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

The odds of him having a natural/organic heart attack at that age and fitness is like lottery level. It's one of three things:

1) There is a congenital health/heart issue that has hitherto been undisclosed by the family because it's none of our business, fine

2) Trauma like the Bills football player who took a helmet to the heart at 30mph

3) Drug use

Edited by Longhornsnus
  • Fuck You 7

What the fuck is the matter with you people? Genetic cardiovascular abnormalities are relatively common and are difficult to detect especially among athletes even when there are moneyed interests motivating thorough medical examinations. LaMarcus Aldridge, Chris Bosh, Reggie Lewis, the list goes on.

We cannot jump to the conclusion that Bronny was on drugs or that it's somehow related to the vaccine. I just hope it's treatable and that we will get to see him play in the NBA alongside his father.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

This is the third cardiac arrest of a young male athlete I have heard of this month.  The other two were in our local community.  I'm sure it is all just a strange coincidence though.

50 minutes ago, Longhornsnus said:

The odds of him having a natural/organic heart attack at that age and fitness is like lottery level. It's one of three things:

1) There is a congenital health/heart issue that has hitherto been undisclosed by the family because it's none of our business, fine

2) Trauma like the Bills football player who took a helmet to the heart at 30mph

3) Drug use

'Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

We cannot jump to the conclusion that Bronny was on drugs or that it's somehow related to the vaccine. I just hope it's treatable and that we will get to see him play in the NBA alongside his father.

It's the internet, of course we can.

He was on drugs because the COVID vaccine got his addicted to opioids and fentanyl, but also he was hit in the heart with a basketball.  But really, it's because the James family lied and he actually has a pig heart. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He was on drugs because the COVID vaccine got his addicted to opioids and fentanyl, but also he was hit in the heart with a basketball.  But really, it's because the James family lied and he actually has a pig heart. 

BuT AkShUlLy it's because heart attacks in young men at the peak of their physical fitness is totally normal and common and can be expected from time to time, just as a natural cause.

• Fuck You 2

19 minutes ago, Longhornsnus said:

BuT AkShUlLy it's because heart attacks in young men at the peak of their physical fitness is totally normal and common and can be expected from time to time, just as a natural cause.

Must've missed it.  Did every 18-21 year old basketball player have a heart attack?

6 hours ago, alincoln said:

Agreed, the McDonalds Grimace shake must be stopped

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Saw an CNN report earlier that another SC player had CA last year around this same time, I don't recall that happening but we had the soccer reporter passing out recently(heat related?) the official who collapsed on the court a year or so ago. 

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Agreed, the McDonalds Grimace shake must be stopped

McRib is the only cure. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Listen to this man. He’s premed. 

BTW, there’s a decent clip of young athletes with completely normal screening exams who have some undetectable cardiac defect waiting to go off. It sucks but we aren’t that advanced to find these.

Covid has shown to cause significant cardiovascular inflammation but the long term effects are not clear. It does seem to tip people into diabetes faster if they were predisposed to have diabetes. Crazy stuff but a crap ton of our medical issues stem from inflammatory processes and Covid can cause a significant inflammatory reaction. Definitely more than the Covid mrna vaccine people keep targeting as the problem for all our ills. But projecting Bronny’s cardiac event on Covid is TMZ level logic.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yea, people that point towards the vaccine as a cause of myocarditis/cardiomyopathy but ignore the actual virus that said vaccine replicates as an equal to greater cause are a special type of regard. Glad he’s ok for now, interested to see what this means for him going forward.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, alincoln said:

Get all the way fucked, you fucking loon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It was predetermined when LeBron signed a secret deal with the CCP.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Longhornsnus said:

LMAO, yes actually it can be expected time to time.  You fucking idiot.  

Edit... Here you go, shit for brains.  There's many other causes but here's just one major cause of cardiac arrest (heart attack for you).  

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is traditionally viewed as the most common condition responsible for sudden cardiac death (SCD) in young athletes.[24] In a large case series of SCD in 1,866 young athletes, HCM was the causative condition identified in nearly 40 % of cases.[4] Nearly two-thirds of athletes were 17 years old or younger and still at high school. Studies have also revealed a strong male preponderance for SCD, particularly in African American athletes who compete in sports with sudden movements and adrenergic surges such as football or basketball.[5] Unfortunately over 80 % of affected individuals are asymptomatic before SCD, which often occurs during exercise or in its aftermath.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223355/#:~:text=Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is traditionally viewed,of athletes were 17 years

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Edit... Here you go, shit for brains.  There's many other causes but here's just one major cause of cardiac arrest (heart attack for you).  

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is traditionally viewed as the most common condition responsible for sudden cardiac death (SCD) in young athletes.[24] In a large case series of SCD in 1,866 young athletes, HCM was the causative condition identified in nearly 40 % of cases.[4] Nearly two-thirds of athletes were 17 years old or younger and still at high school. Studies have also revealed a strong male preponderance for SCD, particularly in African American athletes who compete in sports with sudden movements and adrenergic surges such as football or basketball.[5] Unfortunately over 80 % of affected individuals are asymptomatic before SCD, which often occurs during exercise or in its aftermath.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223355/#:~:text=Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is traditionally viewed,of athletes were 17 years

damn its almost as if elite athletes are more likely to push their hearts to the limits

Don't forget the R on T phenomenon. Undiagnosed Brugada Syndrome, Ventircular Septal defect, and WPW just to name a few. As well as the other congenital cardiac issues that are only detected through advanced screening that comes with an advanced and inconvenient price tag.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Longhornsnus said:

You do know that cardiac arrest and heart attack are not the same thing?  No, you clearly don't know that.  There hasn't been any reporting that he suffered a heart attack.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, chainsaw said:

We cannot jump to the conclusion that Bronny was on drugs 

It being the second or third similar case in SoCal in the last couple of years, that's exactly the first thought that went through my head.
I'm not familiar with the side effects, but couldn't some form of PED's cause something like this?
Maybe some locally brewed steroids or something.  

Hope the kid heals up as quickly as possible, regardless of cause!

4 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Didn't we have a Westlake commit that had cardiac event during his HIGH SCHOOL game back in the 2000s? It's not unheard of. Must have been those damn hepatitis b vaccines!!

You must be mistaken. High school athletes don't have cardiac events.

Philips-HeartStart-OnSite-home-Defibrill

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445113/ - nice little study on defibs in the context that sudden cardiac arrest is the leading cause of death of young athletes.

I'm really starting to think Longhornanus is an bona fide Grade A moron.

• Like 1