Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

On 2/20/2024 at 2:44 PM, closetohumping said:

Per Sheryl swoopes she’s already played 8 years.  That’s the only way she broke scoring record

Well, she's not wrong.  I feel the same way about NFL records from when the season was 12 games being broken when they now play 17 games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 9:35 AM, HtownHorn said:

Swoopes is so jealous that a white, Catholic, straight woman going to do more for the WNBA than her 4 chamopionships every did.

Allegedly it's one of the worst kept secrets in Iowa City that the McCaffery kid is a beard.  I couldn't give any less of a shit, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's true.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:00 PM, DixonHur said:

Well, she's not wrong.  I feel the same way about NFL records from when the season was 12 games being broken when they now play 17 games.

Clark is in her 4th year.

• Like 1

I think it's great, a record is a record. All sports have a discussion about how the game has changed, more games played, and basketball in particular is skewed by the introduction of the three point line. She has done it in four years so there's no covid extension to pump the numbers. 

I think Clark is a badass and congrats to her on the all time scoring record for women. I think advertising that she took the men's record from Pistol Pete, like that has any relevance to women's college basketball, is dumb. They arent even the same sport (different balls, rules, and levels of competition) and it is just attention whoring from the media. 

But she might end up being the best female basketball player ever before it is all said and done. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I wish that when people break records that we didn't trip all over ourselves to find reasons not to be impressed by it. 

14 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Her court vision and passing get overshadowed by her scoring.  

This is how I feel too. The stuff she does as a playmaker is what makes her special special.

50 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think Clark is a badass and congrats to her on the all time scoring record for women. I think advertising that she took the men's record from Pistol Pete, like that has any relevance to women's college basketball, is dumb. They arent even the same sport (different balls, rules, and levels of competition) and it is just attention whoring from the media. 

But she might end up being the best female basketball player ever before it is all said and done. 

This. But also throw in that Pistol Pete did it without a three-point line and in only three years since back in the day the NCAA forced all freshman to play JV basketball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think it's great, a record is a record. All sports have a discussion about how the game has changed, more games played, and basketball in particular is skewed by the introduction of the three point line. She has done it in four years so there's no covid extension to pump the numbers. 

Agreed. This whole her v Maravich, women v men thang is overplayed. My only beef in that area is I'm old enough to remember the Battle of the Sexes at the Astrodome and it seems like the facts that Bobbie Riggs was old enough to be Billie Jean King's father, was a hustler and not a professional tennis player and King got to use the doubles court while the old man was stuck with the singles lines gets swept under the rug too often when we celebrate Billie Jean's special accomplishment. Yay equality

3 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Agreed. This whole her v Maravich, women v men thang is overplayed. My only beef in that area is I'm old enough to remember the Battle of the Sexes at the Astrodome and it seems like the facts that Bobbie Riggs was old enough to be Billie Jean King's father, was a hustler and not a professional tennis player and King got to use the doubles court while the old man was stuck with the singles lines gets swept under the rug too often when we celebrate Billie Jean's special accomplishment. Yay equality

Also, it was a staged event with the intention of promoting women's tennis. Riggs was not the sexist he was portraying, at least, not in that context.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Also, it was a staged event with the intention of promoting women's tennis. Riggs was not the sexist he was portraying, at least, not in that context.

image.thumb.jpeg.d74c456f001c1e6739840f3ddc77c31c.jpeg

Billie Jean King was carried like Cleopatra into the Astrodome in Houston.  And Riggs popping 415 vitamins/day before that match was muy unhealthy.