Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

I think Draisaitl is maybe the best since #99 at being able to get the puck elevated immediately, and it's part of his ridiculous general ability to put the puck exactly where he wants.  It's like he has some sort of lacrosse stick.

That's a long-winded way to say that he scored and the Oilers also got a PPG to lead 2-0, completely controlling it.

• Like 1

Hammering the Devils’ puck line and the over tonight. Think tonight will be another crazy game similar to game 3. 

Think the Krakheads take firm control of the series tonight. Too much depth and gritty hockey for the Stars to overcome imo. Robertson is doing his best Panarin impression this series, and Heiskanen being a game-time decision make me nervous for Dallas tonight.  

38 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

Hammering the Devils’ puck line and the over tonight. Think tonight will be another crazy game similar to game 3. 

Think the Krakheads take firm control of the series tonight. Too much depth and gritty hockey for the Stars to overcome imo. Robertson is doing his best Panarin impression this series, and Heiskanen being a game-time decision make me nervous for Dallas tonight.  

how far did you have Boston going, just so I can gauge how seriously to take your prognostications?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertuzzi said:

ECF taking on the Rangers lol. Whoops

the squid are looking hard to beat right now, but I don't think the Stars have played anywhere near their potential this series. They certainly have the capability to even it up. Whether they have the want we'll find out tonight,

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the squid are looking hard to beat right now, but I don't think the Stars have played anywhere near their potential this series. They certainly have the capability to even it up. Whether they have the want we'll find out tonight,

I don’t think it’s a situation where one team wants it more than the other. I just think Seattle has 4 incredibly solid lines that forecheck the shit out of opponents and put them in bad positions on the ice. They did the same thing to the Avs. Dallas needs depth scoring in a big way. Pavelski has 50% of Dallas’ goals this series. They need guys like Robertson and Domi putting the puck in the net to get back into it. 

14 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

I don’t think it’s a situation where one team wants it more than the other. I just think Seattle has 4 incredibly solid lines that forecheck the shit out of opponents and put them in bad positions on the ice. They did the same thing to the Avs. Dallas needs depth scoring in a big way. Pavelski has 50% of Dallas’ goals this series. They need guys like Robertson and Domi putting the puck in the net to get back into it. 

yeah, but their 4 lines are all B- lines. Put an A line up against them and they crumble. Don't ignore Dallas' win in this series and the fact they went 2-0-1 against them in the regular season. They know how to play this Kraken team - they just need to do it.

But, that's all talk. Win tonight and I think they take control of the series like they did against Minny (who I think was a better team than the Kraken). Lose and it's very likely is over. Big tilt, to say the least.

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

The Game 3 meltdown had nothing to do with Seattle's forechecking though. (In fact, the forechecking really hasn't been a big problem since the first period of Game 1.) Otter played poorly and the Stars fell apart when Miro went down. It would also help if Robertson would join the series. Seattle's home-ice advantage is substantial in the playoffs despite them not having a sterling home record during the regular season. Those fans are insane.

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The Game 3 meltdown had nothing to do with Seattle's forechecking though. (In fact, the forechecking really hasn't been a big problem since the first period of Game 1.) Otter played poorly and the Stars fell apart when Miro went down. It would also help if Robertson would join the series. Seattle's home-ice advantage is substantial in the playoffs despite them not having a sterling home record during the regular season. Those fans are insane.

Not saying that Kraken forechecking is why the Stars lost game 3 but it’s a big component to Seattle’s game. They play a similar style to Florida; dump and chase and trust your greasy forwards to win battles behind the net. That, along with their quality depth on all four lines, make them a tough team to play against. 

Otter wasn’t great in game 3 but he’s far from Dallas’ problem. The Stars need players to step up and score beyond Pavelski. That starts with the power play. It’s tough to win series when you’re only converting at 13%.