2023 ACL Festival

nolongerU2horn

Those two giant parking garages at Rollingwood Office Plaza are pretty easy in/easy out, particularly if you're headed back West after the festival.  I think it's $20 or $30/day or find somebody you know that works there and borrow their permit.  It's pricey, but not only is it close...they never get close to capacity and if you leave 15 minutes early from the headliners...you're out in a breeze.  Again, unless you're trying to head north on MoPac in which case you should feel bad about yourself.  I know they do the same deal with those garages behind iHOP/Salt Trader's, but it's such a shitshow getting outta there because of all the pedestrian/scooter/rideshare/bike traffic on that side of Mopac.  If have a bike-rack, I highly recommend coming down Mopac and getting off at Barton Skyway and parking on Liberty Park Drive (just past that old, creepy office park at MoPac/Bee Caves).  It's an neighborhood, but no permit needed.  Easy cut-through to Bee Caves Road westbound, MoPac South, go down to mall and turnaround to Mopac North, and access to 360 either way too.  Once you park, you can bike down to the bike racks in 10 minutes flat on fairly safe sidewalks on northbound side of access road.  That's what we do.  Bit of a grind biking uphill afterwards but helps you sweat out the booze.  

It's infinitely better than trekking up the hills of Rollingwood either on foot or by bike, plus half those people will have your ass towed before the third band on your "cubes"

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not familiar.  Link?

My bad, it's called Rollingwood Center, not Plaza.  And then there's kind of a pad site in front of it where the Wong doctors have their eye practice.  But the two parking garages are fucking massive.  And they are losing tenants like crazy.  Used to be you couldn't park there on Fridays, but now there are hundreds and hundreds of spaces and if you park top-side on the western-most one, you can be outta there in a flash.  Started out at $20, probably $30 nowadays.  There's a bridge and path to pretty much right to the underpass of Mopac to where the foot traffic starts to get into the park (I'd say depending on your pace, about a 10-15 minute walk to the entry gates).  There's closer options but they're a fucking mess at night to get out. 

Obviously you need to there early to see your daughter's band.  If you're okay with the 5% chance you wake up in my attic with no memory of anything...I live like a 3/4 mile from there.  I'll meet you at the entrance to my 'hood.  You park and bike down or I'll drive you down to Salt Trader's where they make cars turn around.  And you'll just have to hoof it back or get a peddie cab back to your car later that night.  But you won't get towed.  I don't think I'm leaving for Dallas until like 1pm or so.   

Oh shit, my bad.  I thought she was playing Friday midday, not Saturday.  I was gonna drop you off on my way outta town as a solid on Friday.  I have my W1/W2 wires crossed.  But yeah, won't seem that great parking there in the morning, but you'll appreciate it at night when you're leaving with relative ease.  But it's a short hoof if it ain't hot, and thankfully that looks to be the case (knock on wood).  

If you don't want to overpay for parking, drive a bit more south to Liberty Park Drive.  There's usually a number of scooters left there from the night before between that road and Barton Skyway.  Park there in the 'hood for free and scooter down in a flash for $3.  You'll still have to hoof it back up the hill at night though.  But another option.  

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, the thing is, this isn't a year where I'm cool with a little detour or delay.  I think you probably get that.

I certainly do.  In which case, I would hard suggest your friend in Rollingwood or those office parking garages.  Same distance as Austin High, half the price, infinitely easier to get out of at end of festival night.  Obviously you know to use the NW lake entrance, not the main two entrances.  At the hour you'll arrive for her set, you'll be inside much quicker, stick to the north periphery past the food court and near stage in 5 minutes if you hoof it.  With any luck, you've got the grail already. 

So jorts with braided leather belt looped around itself, visor, oakley sunglasses, fanny pack with "essentials", t-shirt that literally says "I'm with the band", New Balance tennis shoes with fresh coat of white wax, horizontally striped socks, and pinky ring?  But trust me on the sunscreen...

Not helpful now but we park at Chuys, despite regular price increases.  We car pool from RR with friends, so splitting it six ways makes the cost bearable.  There’s an alley/road behind that makes it easy to get out and turn left onto Lamar…so long as you don’t run over the hoard of drunks.

Once you purchase a weekend pass, you’re ‘in’ and they email you each year before going public…we used to do this at Shady Grove (RIP), got grandfathered in but miss the Bobcat Goldwhait-looking guy who directed cars…also miss back when VIP was affordable and 4 passes came with parking. 

Low key excited for the weather outlook.  This summer I was worried it’d be 2005-levels of pain.  

On 9/28/2023 at 5:51 PM, texasdago said:

I'll probably be on the rail for their show or close.  I'll have to fist bump you and tell you I'm from the Intertubes 

On 9/28/2023 at 6:04 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm the dude who looks like a dad.

I plan to be there for that show was well, but will be hanging toward the back most likely.

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Really? All the Shania shade?

I’ve seen the Foos a half dozen times and would never pay to see Shania on her own. Which is exactly why I’m going to see her do her thing.

Oh, I get it.  And I might wander over.  How big are the screens?

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Who do we know?  Do I know you?  I am so damn confused. I’ll be there W2 in dad shorts and grey hair.  

Oh, sorry... thought you were laughing at me seeing KaiserSoze.   Oddest reactions to the post.  You laughed, one person negged me.  Go figure. 

Back on track...

Son wants to go see Kendrick Lamar on Friday which I've promised to do but damn if the Amex stage isn't an absolute disaster for the later shows.  Even last year for Paramore (which was an early evening show), it was a mess.  There's an upside to enjoying the lesser known bands.  Foos will be the same.  Glad the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are on Honda.  Amex is a beating.

AMEX stage has good sound though, they continue to tweak the delay towers and sounds good for old dudes like me hanging way, way back.  I've got a couple of usual spots where I hang back with good audio angles and not many drunk/stoned young people tramping over me.  On Saturday W2, I plan to pretty much camp between T-Mobile and AMEX stage between Devon Gilffian, Declan McKenna, Mount Joy, Tanya Tucker, Alanis Morissette, Noah Kahan, and Foo Fighters.  Maybe catch a bit of the 1975 to get my bike on the way out.  It's an off-week for us and no ALCS baseball that day, so probably won't even make it to the Beer Hall...hopefully just great music, decent weather, and gratuitous under-butt.  Just as God intended.

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I gotta say, the fashion is a big part of ACL for me.

Very much so.

But, my ladyfriend and I have commented over the last couple years at ACL Fest that overall the female population is getting, how shall we say, softer?  Has it been the pandemic, or are women in their 20s these days less concerned with physical fitness?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Side boob > under-butt

Oh fuck off with your shitty takes.  I pretend to condone your banal insanity just like you do for me.  But under-butt totally and categorically overrules side-boob and everybody knows it except your dumb ass.  You should feel bad about everything and take a nap.  Maybe take up veganism or cross-fit, jackass.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Oh fuck off with your shitty takes.  I pretend to condone your banal insanity just like you do for me.  But under-butt totally and categorically overrules side-boob and everybody knows it except your dumb ass.  You should feel bad about everything and take a nap.  Maybe take up veganism or cross-fit, jackass.  

spacer.png

• Haha 2

On 9/28/2023 at 6:04 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm the dude who looks like a dad.

holy shit, J. Jazz

(was just perusing Die Spitz on youtube. So good. I mean, so good)

seriously. you must be one proud Dad.

- reminds me a bit of the Red Aunts.. yes, i am that old.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, stc said:

won a pair of 3 day passes and still not sure i want to go. haven't been in at least a decade and there's not much that excites me on that lineup. looks like good weather though so maybe i'll get out there. 

You didn't say which weekend, but honestly, I've had a pretty good time watching TX/OU in the big beer tent.  It's always a pretty amped up (and drunk) crowd, obviously leaning heavily towards the 'horns.  The big screen is decent.

• Like 1

You didn't say which weekend, but honestly, I've had a pretty good time watching TX/OU in the big beer tent.  It's always a pretty amped up (and drunk) crowd, obviously leaning heavily towards the 'horns.  The big screen is decent.

I plan on being in that tent when I’m not at your daughters show. Best place to watch the game outside the Cotton Bowl. Where else can you take a break at half time to go see the Ventures?
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It is indeed a great place to watch the game, especially when we win (duh).  Even when we've lost, it's a lot easier to shake it off when you can go watch a great band and drown your sorrows in side boob.

Unfortunately I'll miss most of the first half this Saturday for my son's last cross country meet of the year, but I hope to be there for most of the second half.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

KXAN is saying 75/55.

Of course there's only a 30% chance of that.  W1 looks a bit on the chilly side after sunset and W2 looking a bit on the too warm side for daytime shows.  But all in all, a favorable forecast compared to most years.  

Friday (13th) gonna have great baseball on right by all the best bands at Honda/Miller Lite stages.  Works out well.  Saturday most likely parking it between T-Mobile and AMEX stages but LCS action and some good CFB games even though we're off that week-BYU @ TCU, Oregon @ Washington, A&M @ Tennessee, K-State @ TX Tech, Auburn @ LSU, and USC @ Notre Dame.  Will try and drag my old ass down there via bike on Sunday after church but that lineup is pretty weak.  I got Dope Lemon, Del Water Gap, The Breeders, Hozier, and Mumford & Sons.  But open to other suggestions if y'all got any for after 2 o'clock.

18 hours ago, stc said:

won a pair of 3 day passes and still not sure i want to go. haven't been in at least a decade and there's not much that excites me on that lineup. looks like good weather though so maybe i'll get out there. 

Dude... just go.  WTF else is there to do?  What kind of music do you like?  Maybe I can make some terrible suggestions but I always take the lineup and start plugging bands into Spotify.  I eventually end up being just as excited about bands that I don't know than the big headliners.  

• Hook 'Em 2