2023 ACL Festival

nolongerU2horn

Note:  Locker does not fit big chairs but I think there was a chair check-in area next to it.  It will fit smaller chairs like this kind of chair...

https://www.amazon.com/DRAXDOG-Camping-Backpacking-Portable-Lightweight/dp/B0C8HXP1H4/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?keywords=small+folding+chair&qid=1697127563&sr=8-22-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

You can rent the locker through the ACL App... right when you log in there is a "Reserve a Locker" button and you can do one day or more.  $25 each day or $65 for three.  The lockers are located right next to the El Arroyo sign.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are there actually free phone chargers available any more?  All I saw was a kiosk that cost money.  Everything is a money grab.  I managed to limp along and got out at about 10% but that TX-OU game really took a toll.

Had a charger with us and in the locker. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are there actually free phone chargers available any more?  All I saw was a kiosk that cost money.  Everything is a money grab.  I managed to limp along and got out at about 10% but that TX-OU game really took a toll.

Yeah, I think they did away with those free kiosks, and now there's those charging lockers that cost a few bucks (they don't fit much more than a phone and a syringe).  I'm sure the poor white people at the Platinum tents or wherever get free charging (as they should for those prices).  If I charge up at 100%, put on low-power mode---I can usually get through about 8 hours of music on a full charge (maybe pick up 10 minutes here or there at a sponsor station).  But I keep a paper copy of schedule, take maybe 5 photos, no calls except one to check in with kids at bedtime, and on Saturdays check Surly and CFB scores a few times.  But face it guys, we're old.  Though I wouldn't mind making an underbutt montage between set breaks.  But yeah, I can see how folks that are constantly updating social media and insta about their ACL journey, you'd be outta batteries by 4pm easy.  

30 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I was looking at the allowed & prohibited items list today.

Prohibited - illegal and illicit substances

Allowed - factory sealed Narcan kit

Well obviously they have to say that for legal/insurance purposes.  One stroke of genius I saw was about 5-6 years ago.  I'm walking in with a friend.  Crew in front of us looks all kinds of fucked up already at just after noon.  Like drunk and high as shit.  They're searching their bags, and one dude had a a drinking straw cut up into 4-5 pieces.  So of course, addt'l guys come over to comb through his bag to see what else is accompanying those straws.  Took 2-3 guys off their duties, so the guy actually holding the blow strolls right in behind 'em.  We saw 'em minutes later outside the portas by the beer tent passing the big bag around.  /csb

My buddy started out with C3 Presents in '04 or '05 as a lower level guy.  He was literally driving around fixing signage and shit (that he designed) on a golf cart.  He and a security guy come across a guy digging under an Oak Tree along Barton Springs Road.  Guy unearths, not so discretely, a 375/500 of Tito's that he had buried there weeks before.  They just watched and laughed and let the dude drink most of it and walk off.  Gave him bonus points for creativity.  Made us realize there's probably all kinda shit buried there before the festival.  So what you do is, give a family of squirrels a little taste of blow or weed or molly.  Then bury your stash.  Time comes, you tell those little fuckers to sniff out the hold and y'all party down 1975 style.  

• Haha 1

Security has always been tight/loose depending on the day, the person searching, whether you are the every x person, etc.  But, when tight/thorough, it can be very much so.  And, I seem to always get at least enough of a look that anything obvious would be discovered.  I am always flabbergasted at the number of vapes, etc. that make it through.

saw people putting their vape in the little personal items bowl that bypasses the metal detector, security didn't give a shit. saw multiple groups of kids passing around bags of shrooms and molly. if you can't sneak drugs into acl you're not very good at it...i mean there's not even a pat down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It is too muggy but getting better every half hour.  Talent/ass down here is insane.  Goofy high bleached denim whatever trend was taken out back and shot.  Nothing but ass and side boob for miles.  
also, some music.  I’m fucking hungry.  

As God as my witness….I didn’t know Maggie Rogers was hot. She’s freaking awesome!
I have no idea who she is, but it's a high-energy show. She's also quite cute.

I'm going to leave base camp in a bit to check out The Revivalists. I'm afraid I won't be able to find out seats in the dark, though.

Well weather is looking lovely today.  Gonna try and make it all the way from Dope Lemon to Mumford & Sons and everything in between.  Which means my lame ass will probably make 3-4 hours tops.  

I walked around the sports tent yesterday afternoon proclaiming "Muledick" to see which surly posters would respond.  But all I got was some hipster in complicated shoes lecturing me that "Muledick is so last year bro.  They sold out once they started opening for Death Cab for Cutie."  

See you bitches on the grass...

Regarding checking chair bags, they started that last year.  I know this because I’d been hauling in soft flasks of my wife’s tea vodka for a decade without issue, by stuffing them into the padded headrests of our folding chairs, until 2022…when the guy obviously found it, gave me a chided look and didn’t appear to buy ‘my wife made me do it’ excuse.  

Throwing those old chairs away on Sunday 2022 before walking to our car was incredibly awesome.  I finally felt free from being a mule (outside of my D9 gummies)…naturally now us husbands jam a soft flask into our waistline.  Whatever, it saves me money.  

Edited by Homercles

Today was a complete shit show compared to yesterday. Felt like 50% more people, everyone going to the same stages, dust was abhorrent, toilet situation was ok, but could definitely tell it was day 3 of weekend 2. 

Maybe it was just fewer young kids yesterday because of the Foos and Alanis or something, but today was not fun. 

Hozier put on a really great show 

Had a great time this weekend. Didn’t go as hard as in the past. Probably because we decided to stay up all night Friday night partying. Pretty much dead for Saturday. Weather was beautiful most of the weekend. I didn’t think the crowds were all that bad. It’s easy to find areas to chill. One of the first years we didn’t take anything in like a blanket or backpack. Don’t know why we felt the need to lug a bunch of shit in years past. 

Lots of folks my age saying the same thing.  First 5-10 years of ACL, lugged around a cooler with ice, chair for me, chair for wife, and she lugged a little backpack with all the other shit-kleenex, sunscreen, phone chargers, wipes/sanitizer, gum, hats, band-aids, etc.  All this shit.  And invariably the second we put it down, some friend would text us and want to meet back halfway across the park.  Finally talked her into shedding all that crap.  You get tired, find a dry/green patch of grass to sit in for a few minutes or go into a hospitality area.  Last few years were so nice traveling light.  

Next year, I think we're taking the girls so I should probably start my sherpa training now since I gotta lug it around the park and bike it home up hill.  Both ways.  In the heat.  Circle of life, Simba.  Almost always an incredible time.  Sound was a little off this year though, not sure what that was about. 

so wait, does that mean no underwear, socks, shirt?  Or no chair, but all that other shit?  

Best memory of gearing up and not regretting it was that Gn'R show the year or two before Covid.  Biked down and brought a pack with a serious jacket and hat for after sundown.  And damn did I need it.  That was a cold fucking set after I watch the mid-day stages.  

Best memory of not gearing up and not regretting it.  2012.  Brought my phone and a koozie.  Obviously a different time in my life alcohol-wise.  Got to follow around a C3 Presents producer and got fucked up out of my mind 2 or 3 different times.  Woke up in his golf cart around 11pm, him telling me to go find my gear and bike home if I was okay to do so (he wasn't being a dick, just busy).  I said I have no gear.  "Then let's go over here."  Ended up in the production area partying with the Black Keys and some others, and hard.  Was in no condition to bike home.  He gives me a lift at like 1-2am, we lived right by each other back then close to the park.  Wake up to a knock on the door at 4/4:30am.  It's another friend.  I had forgotten we booked seats on that Texas Exes bus to Dallas for the OU game.  He's kind enough to pick me up to take me to the bus.  I apologize for running late.  He says basically, "It's better we're late and have to sit in the back by the lavatory because the chemical smell will disguise how you smell now."  Fun bus ride up with bloody marys.  I can still hear Carney's drums ringing in my ears.  Best ACL maybe ever for me, worst ever OU game for me (we lost by like 50, woulda been 70 had we gotten some garbage time points at the end).  His firm's seats were next to the two Nash twin sisters from our hoops team.  They were very polite and great fans but kept looking at me like, "Fucking lightweight."  I tried explaining it was ACL not the two wax cup beers causing me to speak broken Portuguese for no apparent reason. 

Came back home to a disappointed wife, nothing new.  Somehow rallied on Sunday for Gary Clark Jr., Avett Bros, Two Door Cinema Club, Old 97's, et. al.  I think that was the most full-throttle ACL I ever did, and I only went two days.  And my organs are still paying for it.  But I did this one without a drop of alcohol and loved it, weather sure as shit helped though.  

Only thing crazier than watching how ACL has changed over the 2+ decades is noticing, in an honest fashion, how we've all aged and changed alongside of it.  15-20 years ago, I'd pick up everything to move on and meet friends for dinner, or a movie, or a game, or an ACL artist.  Now, in my mid-40's, in real life, on the weekends, after work, or at ACL i get the text, "Hey, come check out Jared Leto and his band with us man, we're right up front and have some space!"  And I am all about the, "Nope, I've got a cold seltzer, curling my toes in the grass in the way back, waiting for Alanis.   

/csb