2023 ACL Festival

nolongerU2horn

That set had the most technical fuckups I've ever seen.  It was as if they were cursed, like the Longhorns.  Two broken drumsticks within the first 30 seconds, a bass guitar cord that would not cooperate, an acoustic guitar battery (brand new) that just went AWOL, a guitar strap that would not stay strapped and the stage manager couldn't be bothered to figure it out.

What a nightmare of a show.  Kudos to the gals for gutting it out.  The crowd loved it and the national media were salivating.  Maybe some good came of it.

While I'm ranting, I have NEVER heard such shitty sound throughout ACL.  Every stage sucked.  I mean, it SUCKED.  Tanya, sucked.  Alanis, super sucked.  Foos, sucked.  Tito's for Die Spitz and Shooks, sucked.  I mean, SUCKED.  HORRIBLE sound.

I will rant about the complete disregard for contractual obgligations later, but I am here to tell you that ACL has the Austin plague of utter lack of professionalism, shot through and through.  Today was a complete sonic nightmare.  Mt. Joy was the only act I heard with a decent mix, and that's not hard to pull off.  Everything else was a mess, and the money grab just made everything worse.

Fuck ACL.

Edited by jimmyjazz

9 hours ago, texasdago said:

We'll, Ben Kweller sounded good!? 

You're right, he did sound good.  Forgot about him.  I was pretty surprised to see the crowd he drew.  He's got good stuff.

Where was Charlie during Shooks?  I never saw him.

And before anyone asks, I have no idea why my daughter and Kate wore "Little House on the Prarie" dresses.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Yesterday reminded me why I stopped attending the festival 10 years ago. Just way too many people to be enjoyable.

Kingfish Ingram- fun set, good to see some blues in the acl lineup
Shaed- the singer had a great voice and the songs were catchy. Not normally into this style of pop but they were good.
Alanis- she sounded great and everyone sang along to every song.
Tove Lo- she had a band so points for that. Thought it was fine.
Foo Fighters- they were the foo fighters.

Other thoughts
1. What a beautiful day! Sunset was gorgeous.
2. Trying to exit to Barton springs after FF was absurd and kind of scary.
3. Saw a lady who brought her own foot stool to stand on.
4. Did not know individual yellow bird packets existed.
20231007_191736.jpg20231007_190038.jpg20231007_195826.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stc said:

Yesterday reminded me why I stopped attending the festival 10 years ago. Just way too many people to be enjoyable.

Kingfish Ingram- fun set, good to see some blues in the acl lineup
Shaed- the singer had a great voice and the songs were catchy. Not normally into this style of pop but they were good.
Alanis- she sounded great and everyone sang along to every song.
Tove Lo- she had a band so points for that. Thought it was fine.
Foo Fighters- they were the foo fighters.

I'd never been to an Alanis show before and wasn't expecting a whole lot, so it was a nice surprise that she sounded great- fun show.

14 minutes ago, stc said:

This is my 19th year to attend, and your timeline of ~10 years ago certainly feels similar as far as the overcrowding goes- or maybe that's when I just got too old 😉. The last few years I've been doing VIP and it has made it a much easier experience overall. After FF last night I hung back and hit the bar for a couple more drinks while the crowd cleared out, and even then it was still quite a mob scene exiting a while after the shows had ended. The weather this year has been a great bonus. I'm heading back soon for day 3- good times.

Coming up on my 20th ACL and there have been some epic crowds near the gates…but Friday getting out after Kendrick and yesterday getting in after the game were borderline scary.  Totally understand both occasions were full-tilt-boogey time but was thinking it’d take nothing to spark a crush.  Weather obviously a factor too but man they oversell passes like a motherfucker.  

I miss the days when they didn’t give enough of a shit to check chair bags.  

Weather has been just about the very best you could ask for.  Grounds getting tore up a bit and we’ve all got a slight hack going, but nothing like it’s been on W2 nor in the same universe as 2005.  

And I drove my wife batty bringing this up…but it pisses me off when we put in work to get there earlier, haul on chairs/booze, carve out the good spot in the shade…and friends show up late, without a chair, and crash in our space all day.  We bring in a blanket for that express reason and I still have to nudge friends+random folks to GTFO out of my chair.  

On one hand I lament the only draft being Karbach but hauling cans around is so much more convenient.  Drink prices are stupid as usual.  

Bailen put me to sleep

Half Alive was the first surprise of the weekend, had me groovin 

Portugal The Man was a great show + covered Nirvana (In Bloom), and we did a long drive by of Bass Drum of Death…was fun to see a basic three piece rock out

Major Lazer and Above and Beyond were both disappointments…which sucks as I love electronica, and had been listening to Trance Around the World for over a decade.

Lumineers ran a good show with that stage out in the crowd, posted up In that side stage sweet spot near the bars/bathroom   

Poolside was a lot of fun, great energy for mid afternoon

30 Seconds to Mars was such a monument to pretentious ego for Leto that I had to admire the sheer spectacle of it

Tove Lo was severely under-staged, wish I’d stayed at Bob Moses…pissed me off they had Chromeo, Tove Lo and Bob Moses all jammed together.  

Plenty I want to see today but I’ve been an ODESZA fan since Summer’s Gone got me through grad school and that’s the main event.  

3 hours ago, stc said:

Yesterday seemed significantly more crowded than Friday, and less enjoyable because of that. I’m even considering just getting a Friday wristband. I ended up leaving in the middle of Noah Kahan, which was a good show, but there was an endless stream of people walking past me and shouting conversations. And I wasn’t even that far from the stage.

Saturday is always the most overloaded with people. I walked out into GenPop for a few songs during Alanis' show (after all, I'm a man of the people), and it was surprisingly easy/fun and not annoying. 

It's f'ing gorgeous out here today. Michigander was surprisingly good/fun and Grace Sorensen has been good/chill so far.

Saturday is always the most overloaded with people. I walked out into GenPop for a few songs during Alanis' show (after all, I'm a man of the people), and it was surprisingly easy/fun and not annoying. 
It's f'ing gorgeous out here today. Michigander was surprisingly good/fun and Grace Sorensen has been good/chill so far.

Watching on Hulu. The weather is amazing in Dallas. I’m sure it’s awesome there too. Wife was aware of Michigander and we watched that while we were making lunch. Dope Lemon is on now — knew nothing about them. Dumb band name but kind of enjoying their vibe. Hope The Walkmen do wind up on one of the channels. I’d also like to see The Breeders.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Watching on Hulu. The weather is amazing in Dallas. I’m sure it’s awesome there too. Wife was aware of Michigander and we watched that while we were making lunch. Dope Lemon is on now — knew nothing about them. Dumb band name but kind of enjoying their vibe. Hope The Walkmen do wind up on one of the channels. I’d also like to see The Breeders.

The Walkmen were excellent. Hamilton’s voice is an instrument of its own. Distinctive, but not showy. 

there was a definite demographic in the crowd. 

bit warmer than was expecting it would be today. Breeders next up for me. 

Three improvements I noticed at ACL:

-- cocktails

-- urinals separate from port-a-potties

-- big screens behind artists showing their names

2 & 3 might be old news, I haven't been in a few years.  I didn't drink any beer yesterday because beer makes me piss and I hate port-a-potties.  I found the urinals during the Foos and was like "oh, fuck me".

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Three improvements I noticed at ACL:

-- cocktails

-- urinals separate from port-a-potties

-- big screens behind artists showing their names

2 & 3 might be old news, I haven't been in a few years.  I didn't drink any beer yesterday because beer makes me piss and I hate port-a-potties.  I found the urinals during the Foos and was like "oh, fuck me".

Urinals have been around for years, but agree that they have been a huge improvement.  Free up the stalls for the ladies and I don’t have to plan ahead by 30 minutes just to piss…or get mad at people not paying attention, or arguing politely for two minutes whose turn it is, etc.  

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

The Walkmen sounded good- reminded me of the The Strokes- hopefully I don't sound like an asshole for making that comparison but my sample size is small. Went to The Breeders after that... turned around to check the crowd and a friend I hadn't seen in 12+ years was standing right behind me- super awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It was a blast.  I'm worn from the weekend but it was absolutely worth it.  I know a lot of people here might not like their style of music but I could not think of a better way to cap off the weekend then with the Odesza show.  An absolute spectacle and I imagine drastically better than milquetoast Mumford and Sons.  

PXL_20231009_011849374.jpg

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

Day 3 was significantly less crowded, way easier to walk around between stages. 

Walkmen- didn't know anything about them going into the set. they definitely reminded me of the strokes...and i don't like the strokes. not for me. most entertaining part of the set was the gray haired old man and the 20 something kid in front of me that were nose to nose yelling fuck you and about to come to blows over where to stand. 

Breeders- this is the only set of the weekend that i felt the sound was really bad...just a muddy mess. otherwise they were enjoyable. 

Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Karen O is an incredible performer. this was the set of the weekend for me, they absolutely killed it. 

Death Grips- holy shit that was intense. there were moments of extremely heavy greatness, and that drummer was just nonstop crazy drumming. but also i couldn't understand any of the lyrics and it got extremely repetitive at times. not sure i would see them again but it was entertaining. 

got out of there after death grips, the closers didn't interest me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

image.png.0218babce4a38043a7bcc1f2c5278913.png

image.png.b24413a9fb413f0dc82772ec4cfb121d.png

https://www.statesman.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/2022/10/11/austins-skyline-changes-more-tall-buildings-each-year/10472425002/

pretty incredible.. to do a like for like.. the 18 story building with the barrel vault around 6th and Lavaca, prominent in 2005, is super tiny looking in the 2023 pic.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Karen O is an incredible performer. this was the set of the weekend for me, they absolutely killed it. 

Yes.  Absolutely agree.  The only downside was the A-hole with the turtle sign right in the center of the line of sight.  Everyone kept yelling at him to put it down and people even talked to him and he refused to do it.  His rationale was, "but the turtle has been here for every show".  Thanks, so you were a consistent A-Hole.  Films a video... Karen O looks great and then the turtle sways right in front of her face.

So, mostly a great show except...

image.png.2d413205b83dc9e7e45ee2c131d2e5bd.png

Edited by texasdago

8 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

The Walkmen sounded good- reminded me of the The Strokes- hopefully I don't sound like an asshole for making that comparison but my sample size is small. Went to The Breeders after that... turned around to check the crowd and a friend I hadn't seen in 12+ years was standing right behind me- super awesome. 

1 hour ago, stc said:

Day 3 was significantly less crowded, way easier to walk around between stages. 

Walkmen- didn't know anything about them going into the set. they definitely reminded me of the strokes...and i don't like the strokes. not for me. most entertaining part of the set was the gray haired old man and the 20 something kid in front of me that were nose to nose yelling fuck you and about to come to blows over where to stand. 

Breeders- this is the only set of the weekend that i felt the sound was really bad...just a muddy mess. otherwise they were enjoyable. 

Death Grips- holy shit that was intense. there were moments of extremely heavy greatness, and that drummer was just nonstop crazy drumming. but also i couldn't understand any of the lyrics and it got extremely repetitive at times. not sure i would see them again but it was entertaining. 

got out of there after death grips, the closers didn't interest me. 

I've been a fan of The Walkmen for a number of years but never saw them until this week since they basically "retired" in 2013 or so before reforming to tour late last year or early this year. They definitely have some Strokes in them since they're all contemporaries -- with YYY and Interpol from NYC in the early 2000's. The part of The Walkmen's journey I was unaware of until last week was that three-fifths of the current lineup joined up with lead singer Hamilton Leithauser and another guy from the The Recoys to form The Walkmen. The three were part of short-lived NYC sensation Jonathan Fire*Eater (see my thread on this page for more on them), who all of those bands mentioned above were inspired by. They were perhaps a little too ahead of their time -- and the lead singer had many demons.

Anyway, I've shit on ACL's lineup quite a bit the last several years. But if you can guarantee weather like that, shit, it almost don't make a shit. By the way, I pulled out my 2016 ACL t-shirt to wear to sleep last night and read through the lineup on the back. Man, that was epic.

My wife and I enjoyed watching the Hulu stream yesterday. Had the back door open and tunes on the TV. Prett-ay, prett-ay, prett-ay good as Larry David would say. Wife even got her Mumford fix. I can take or leave them -- enjoyable listen but not that much substance to it. Mrs C-Man was happy.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sunday:

Niall Horan
Hozier
Mumford & Sons

All at Amex, where the sound mix was better than Saturday, but still substandard.  I tried to start the day with Morgan Wade at IHG, where I was about 8 feet center, but the sound was so awful, including completely inaudible vocals, that I (and others) gave up and left after about 15 minutes.  As I headed back from the stage, the sound improved significantly by the time I reached the rear of house sound booth.  So, I stopped and tried to explain the front of stage situation to someone wearing credentials at the railing.  He immediately cut me off, said "not my job," and turned and walked away, while the person for whom it was his job was sitting at the control board 10 feet away, oblivious to the horrible sound up front....

I was pretty tired today... I went from noon to 10:15 on Friday, 11:00 to 9:30 on Saturday and 1:00 - 9:30 on Sunday.  Did very little "sitting around" but mostly moving from stage to stage, food/merch stuff and occasionally recharging/drinking in the Miller Lite Lounge.  All in all, it was another great weekend.

Friday:

Asleep at the Wheel - tradition.  Caught a couple of songs and then went and got our locker, got our T-Mobile wristband for the day, bought some merch, food for my son.  Kind of getting things "set up" so to speak.

The National Parks - agreed with someone else about the singer's voice.  Overall I enjoyed their sound but in retrospect it was kind of forgettable.  I'd see them again on a free ticket.

Half-Alive - I really enjoyed this show.  They sound exceptional live - just really tight sound.  Enjoyed the choreography that is very much something you see in their videos.  One of the surprising highlights of ACL.  Did not expect that at all.

Lil Yachty - eesh.  Not my choice.  Bummed I did not see Portugal the Man and this Thursday's show at Scoot Inn is sold out.

5:10 slot I got pulled around in multiple directions so I'm bummed I did not catch Bass Drum of Death.  Heard a little bit of Little Simz but honestly didn't catch anything.

Major Lazer - Just a big dance party.  Lots of fun... legendary DJ set.  Didn't care for Kali Uchis   Wanted to stop by Above & Beyond, as well, but wasn't able to stop longer than a few.

Kendrick Lamar - thanks for the 30 minute show.  Yeah, he was good but waiting for two hours was a beating.  Plane issues my ass.

Saturday:

Die Spitz - don't really need to say anymore do we?

Mac Saturn - OK.  Felt a little generic.  Gave me the same vibes as The Midnight last year.  Different style of band but same generic vibe.  Didn't stay there long.

Shooks - Sexton's kid.  @KaiserSoze mentioned us watching the show.  Sounded great.  Marlon is the spitting image of his dad when he was younger.  Yeah, Charlie was filming him.  Picture at the end of my pointless post.

Declan McKenna - aight.

Jessie Ware - could hear here while waiting on the rail for Ben Kweller.  Meh.

Ben Kweller - put on a great show.  Definitely recommend catching his set at ACL this year.  Sounds fantastic.  Great rapport with the crowd.  Last song by his son Zed was heartbreaking... if you're a dad, get ready to deal with allergies.

Poolside - just good vibes.  I enjoyed their show and caught them side stage for a couple songs.  Band name accurately depicts proper listening environment.

Shaed - caught a little bit of the show on the BMI stage.  Wasn't my thing.

Alanis - honestly her voice sounded really good. At one point her microphone sounded too quiet but when you could hear her, she sounded great and lots of energy throughout the whole show... especially as she got towards the end.  A whirling dervish so to speak.

Bob Moses - amazing amazing show.  Again, another good vibes show.  Sounded great live and they were fun both in the crowd and side stage.  Did an exceptional cover of INXS "I Need You Tonight".  That time slot on the Miller Lite stage with dusk usually kills it.

Foo Fighters - dude.  There is no choice here between Foo and Shani. Foo 100%

Sunday:

Michigander - didn't know who they were until they popped in on the aclfestival subreddit.  Really liked their sound.  Check them out.

Dope Lemon - one of the best sets of the weekend.  Didn't know Dope Lemon until ACL released the lineup, popped him in Spotify and have been listening ever since.  Awesome.

Naill Horan - wife's choice.  Put on a good show.  Pretty well-put together pop for screaming girls.  Did an excellent cover of Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - mentioned them above.  Worth the wait.  Top 3 show of ACL for me.  Get there early, find your spot, wait and enjoy!

Cigarettes After Sex - I get what they're trying to do conceptually and I can hear the influence of some shoegaze bands from the 80s but the execution is like chloroform.

Odesza - again, one giant spectacle.  Exceedingly crowded but a very cool experience and just one big dance party

I'm north of 50... I give zero F's about my age at half of these shows.  I had a blast.  Walked my ass off and can't wait for 2024.

Charlie Sexton, black jacket, proud dad...

image.thumb.png.559ae6eccde4c83285dce1be4c4f8949.png 

• Hook 'Em 2

Security Note to Weekend Two attendees: 

• For the first time I have encountered, they required chairs be removed from their storage bags at security, with a check to make sure nothing was tucked up inside the folded material. 
  • Notwithstanding the clear/size bag rules, I saw lots of small to medium opaque backpacks (not camelbaks) that were allowed through security.  But, they can be very inconsistent from day to day and person to person, so I'm not sure I'd risk it with a bag I care about....

2 hours ago, Tonesky said:

Notwithstanding the clear/size bag rules, I saw lots of small to medium opaque backpacks (not camelbaks) that were allowed through security.  But, they can be very inconsistent from day to day and person to person, so I'm not sure I'd risk it with a bag I care about....

My wife managed to drop $60 on a clear backpack at Academy, and it was clearly (heh) larger than the allowed size.  We got thru the gate just fine.  And then, I carried the fucking thing all day.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My wife managed to drop $60 on a clear backpack at Academy, and it was clearly (heh) larger than the allowed size.  We got thru the gate just fine.  And then, I carried the fucking thing all day.

That's what lockers are for.  Best $65 investment you can make for all three days.

how much shit are you bringing that you need a locker? plastic water bottle and a pocket full of joints did me just fine for the 3 days i was there. unless children are involved, i can't imagine what other supplies would be required to stand around and listen to music all day. 

20 minutes ago, stc said:

how much shit are you bringing that you need a locker? plastic water bottle and a pocket full of joints did me just fine for the 3 days i was there. unless children are involved, i can't imagine what other supplies would be required to stand around and listen to music all day. 

We brought two water bottles, two long-sleeve tees for after sundown, and a blanket.  Oh yeah, my wife had to by a $40 ACL Fest t-shirt, because we have an unlimited supply of money.  So, the backpack was "necessary".  It wasn't a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, stc said:

Family of four.   They want me to bring two tiny foldable chairs that I have never used once.  No comment there.  Merch goes in the locker and then we just pull that stuff out at the end of the three days.  Any fanny packs or whatever get stored in there overnight so you don't have to go through the bag line each day.  Basically any crap you accumulate goes in there and then you empty them out at the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Family of four.   They want me to bring two tiny foldable chairs that I have never used once.  No comment there.  Merch goes in the locker and then we just pull that stuff out at the end of the three days.  Any fanny packs or whatever get stored in there overnight so you don't have to go through the bag line each day.  Basically any crap you accumulate goes in there and then you empty them out at the end.

I hadn't considered the locker for overnight storage to avoid the bag line, but that's a good idea.

Yeah, next year when we bring the kids for the first time...for sure getting a big locker for overnight storage of all their shit plus chairs.  

I have to admit, I'm gonna miss traveling light.  Most years, I get by okay on just one charge of the phone and maybe a token 5-10 mt. charge here and there at those stations, but maybe an extra charging stick.  But otherwise, it's sunglasses and a wallet.  There's enough sanitizer around, dont' need that anymore either.  Now that I type this, I'm gonna enjoy one more year of careless wandering.  Can you still bring uncut heroin into the park?