2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That seems like a really good bullpen addition. Only a .185 batting average against him this year. 

The above ERA is wrong according to the ND stats. Was actually a 2.43 ERA. Only thing surprising is why he didn't get more innings with those numbers. 

Looks like he was recovering from Thoracic Outlet surgery. Might explain the lack of innings. Looked good when he was out there though. Seems like a really nice pickup.

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

From reading the Tigerdroppings board, it sounds like LSU wanted Will Mercer. They mentioned their entire coaching staff started following him on twitter. 

South Carolina and Arkansas were on him as well. I think he took a visit out to South Carolina last week according to their boards.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

From reading the Tigerdroppings board, it sounds like LSU wanted Will Mercer. They mentioned their entire coaching staff started following him on twitter. 

Between all the injured guys coming back and them already throwing huge $ at the Xavier closer we might've had a more compelling path to innings. 

2 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Galvan, Flores, Thomas join Belyeu in SB

I’ll be interested to see if Thomas gets some time in the OF. The freshman 1B from OU is also on the team so they will have to find a way to get both playing time I’m assuming.

On 6/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Using some context clues here, but I think we are on this guy pretty hard. Had a monster season at the D2 level.

https://plnusealions.com/sports/baseball/roster/jakob-christian/6541

Clicked through to this dudes profile, and shit they got themselves a pretty sick ballpark out at Point Loma Nazarene.

Point Loma Nazarene dubbed 'America's Most Scenic Ballpark' | cbs8.com

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Bohls had a recent interview with Pierce. Nothing too surprising but it is interesting that Pierce made it sound like Daly leaving was his own decision. Could be coach-speak.

Spoiler

1. So you’re saying: Yes, there’s a chance. Hard to gauge how much of one, but Longhorns baseball coach David Pierce is still hopeful that pitchers Lucas Gordon and Lebarron Johnson Jr. and even star right fielder Dylan Campbell might return to the team for next season. One connected source told me LBJ is projected as the highest draftee of that trio in the second or third round of the July 9-11 MLB draft while Campbell and Gordon “probably go between (rounds) 3-6.” Pierce hasn’t written them off because all three have options. “Dylan’s as close to a five-tool player as I’ve seen,” he said Tuesday. “He made an incredible Roberto Clemente-type throw (against Stanford), and he definitely helped his case.” Campbell's one negative? “His body,” Pierce said. “He doesn’t have the projectability that a long, lanky guy does. But he could improve with plate discipline, timing in his swing, and maturation creates more power.” … As for his top two pitchers, Gordon’s a command guy with a solid fastball and change-up “but professional hitters will start taking the change-up, and so he’ll have to beat them with his fastball. LBJ is a tweener. He could be a starter or a reliever. I’m trying to keep them. They know they’re wanted back.” NIL opportunities could help Texas’ chances. … Asked if he was rooting for or against Stanford, which beat Texas “on an oddity” in the super regional and then was eliminated in two quick losses at the College World Series, Pierce said, “I don’t really know the answer. Do I want ‘em to win and make us look better or do I want them to lose so I don’t have to look at them anymore? But I really like David (Esquer, Stanford coach).” … Pierce called the heartbreaking, abrupt ending on a fly ball lost in the twilight “a perfect storm, a ball that drops between our best two outfielders. I don’t think theirs would have caught it either.” … On starting shortstop Mitchell Daly surprisingly entering the transfer portal, Pierce said, “I don’t really know why. I guess he needed a change of scenery. It was his call.”

I mean Pierce can't say "yeah we recruited over a player and didn't want him back" about a guy that gave Texas everything for 3 years. 

We all knew Daly was gone after this season. It's pretty obvious that Texas was recruiting over Daly if you look at some of the infielders they're after in the portal and that doesn't even factor in Flores. 

I just take that as Pierce not hating on a player on the way out. 

Based on follows and reports, it looks like we've had contact with the following infielders. 

Hainline (Washington State)

Shelton (Alabama)

Branch (Baylor)

Green (NC State)

Kohler (Memphis)

There are just too many good options at SS/3B to not try to upgrade. The only interesting part is how does Flores factor into this equation. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Based on follows and reports, it looks like we've had contact with the following infielders. 

Shelton (Alabama)

Branch (Baylor)

Green (NC State)

Kohler (Memphis)

There are just too many good options at SS/3B to not try to upgrade. The only interesting part is how does Flores factor into this equation. 

Do we think there’s any chance of Flores moving over to 3rd, Powell to 1st and JT to OF? I guess all that would be dependent on who comes back in the draft

Why would someone leave a place like NCState or even Bama after having a great year? Wsu and Baylor you can understand.

The teams had positive seasons. The two most high profile conferences. Schedules and stadiums generally conducive to productive seasons.

What else besides an NIL deal?

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Do we think there’s any chance of Flores moving over to 3rd, Powell to 1st and JT to OF? I guess all that would be dependent on who comes back in the draft

It looks like they're also showing interest in some 1B too like Almanza from Saint Marys. 

I think they're definitely thinking about moving Powell or Thomas to the OF. 

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Why would someone leave a place like NCState or even Bama after having a great year? Wsu and Baylor you can understand.

The teams had positive seasons. The two most high profile conferences. Schedules and stadiums generally conducive to productive seasons.

Did you just see how much Tommy White got paid by LSU after 1 good year at NC State? 

Peebles and Green are doing the same thing. NC State needs to pay them if they want to keep them. 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Without knowing any specifics, I can think of all kinds of reasonable reasons. Maybe you just hate being in Tuscaloosa/Raleigh. Maybe you hate being #3 on the campus athlete pecking order. Maybe your role is going to change in a way you don't like. Maybe life is too short to spend one more season dealing with that dickhead in the locker room. Maybe you learned the hard lesson of undefeated and you can't get away from her fast enough.

But probably $.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I did not. I know many will have a dollar figure that causes them to leave, but it’s hard to know what the dollar difference is. I’m not sure whether I’d jump for a $5,000 pay raise but that depends on many factors. Now $50k is a whole different story.

Just reading here, I know LSU has been quite generous in their giving.

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I did not. I know many will have a dollar figure that causes them to leave, but it’s hard to know what the dollar difference is. I’m not sure whether I’d jump for a $5,000 pay raise but that depends on many factors. Now $50k is a whole different story.

Just reading here, I know LSU has been quite generous in their giving.

Tommy White definitely got more than a $50k pay raise at LSU. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Flores and a transfer for left side of infield. JT/Powell/Borba for some combo of OF, 1B, DH. Cummings/Belyeu/Brown/transfer for last 2 OF spots 

At this point I am not holding my breath that Borba makes it to campus. If Powell comes back then you definitely have to consider shifting him over to 1B and moving Thomas to the OF. These are good types of problems to have. 

Hainline would be a very clean fit on this roster based on his ability to play both infield spots on the left side. 

39 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Maybe they want to see their names on Surly game threads.

46 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Shelton (Alabama)

Branch (Baylor)

Green (NC State)

Kohler (Memphis)

Jakob Christian (1B/OF) from the DII level is another one they are on. Just saw he is visiting Ole Miss later this week. Ole Miss seems to be pretty aggressive so far in the portal. Just picked up the Duke 3B and have added a few other guys as well.

I do like Pierce telling it like it is with Gordon. He is a two-pitch guy right now and his fastball doesn't have the juice to miss bats at the next level. 

He would be giving up any and all leverage he has in returning, but he sure could use some more time developing his slider. CTJ's comments last week have me somewhat hopeful.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I do like Pierce telling it like it is with Gordon. He is a two-pitch guy right now and his fastball doesn't have the juice to miss bats at the next level. 

He would be giving up any and all leverage he has in returning, but he sure could use some more time developing his slider. CTJ's comments last week have me somewhat hopeful.

If he's drafted in rounds 3-6 like Pierce thinks he's definitely gone but damn would he go that high? 

His only plus pitch is the change-up. I'm really skeptical Gordon is drafted that high even with his production at Texas. 

It sucks we haven't had much luck getting these high-level California kids on campus lately. Jared Jones and Petey Halpin in the 2020 class, Cutter Coffey and Henry Bolte last year, Borba and Gasparino this year. It is a legit pipeline though. We have 3 California kids committed next cycle and 2 more in 2025. Just have to keep swinging and we will catch some breaks.

Found a scouting report from last summer. Surprised he was signable for Duke and no clue why he didn’t throw last year 

Santos is an advanced, angular lefty who presents a ton of angle and limbs to the opposition. The fastball has been up to 91 with steepness. Santos can throw a pretty fuzzy curveball with significant drop and feel. He's got a turn-me-over changeup that's can be inconsistent, but he's shown confidence in it. He works in a cutter/slider that has more sweep than depth. Santos has decisive, athletic movements on the mound and fully displays starter traits. High-ceiling arm with significant projection.

4 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Found a scouting report from last summer. Surprised he was signable for Duke and no clue why he didn’t throw last year 

It had to be some type of arm issue. It makes sense why he didn't sign and didn't pitch last season. 

Top 50ish recruits are almost always gone. My bet is he had an injury that scared MLB teams off from giving him the type money he wanted. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Looks like he tweaked his shoulder last fall. Might explain why he didn't throw. Below is from D1baseball Duke's fall report:

Freshman Oliver Santos, a high-profile recruit from Southern California, falls into the “X-factor” bucket alongside redshirt sophomore Collin Bosley-Smith. Santos tweaked his shoulder early in the fall and has worked his way back gradually, but Pollard is hopeful that he’ll be ready to go in the spring, and in the past he has shown good command of a three-pitch mix including a fastball that bumps 93.

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It had to be some type of arm issue. It makes sense why he didn't sign and didn't pitch last season. 

Top 50ish recruits are almost always gone. My bet is he had an injury that scared MLB teams off from giving him the type money he wanted. 

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-draft-top-400-prospects-h8bxx

PG was way higher on him than this guy. I also hardly trust the baseball pay sites for Covid era prospects. Fell from inside the top 100 prospects to just outside of 300 in the year leading up to the draft