2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It's just the way things are nowadays. That 2021 team might be the last team we have for a while where almost everyone comes back. The portal is a weapon but the guys who come from it are likely only staying 1 or 2 years, so you are repeating the cycle again. Roster management is as hard as it has ever been.

With that being said, I would ecstatic to get Powell and Morehouse back. Adding Powell back to the young core we have would set a nice floor for the lineup and Morehouse would be a big puzzle piece in the backend. I'm not discounting what Occupy LF is saying, but I am going to need to see it to believe it with Porter Brown. He is going to be 23 in August, is a liability defensively and has one good year at the plate. I don't think MLB teams will be pounding down his door, but maybe he's ready to move on. He is pretty big on academics so that is something I would leverage for him to consider a victory lap.

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's just the way things are nowadays

See that seems counter-intuitive to me. I always sympathized with the players in the past for running to the minor leagues as soon as possible as not only did they not get paid (legally...) at UT they didn't even get a full scholarship in most cases. So it made sense if they had any shot in the minors they would be gone.

But now? Now they get NIL money. Now the minor leagues are smaller and there are 18 draft rounds instead of 40. Nowadays they should be more likely to stay than in the past. It makes zero fucking sense otherwise.

Unless all the rules of economics don't work and...actually that sort of checks out with my lived experience.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

See that seems counter-intuitive to me. I always sympathized with the players in the past for running to the minor leagues as soon as possible as not only did they not get paid (legally...) at UT they didn't even get a full scholarship in most cases. So it made sense if they had any shot in the minors they would be gone.

But now? Now they get NIL money. Now the minor leagues are smaller and there are 18 draft rounds instead of 40. Nowadays they should be more likely to stay than in the past. It makes zero fucking sense otherwise.

Unless all the rules of economics don't work and...actually that sort of checks out with my lived experience.

I would agree somewhat but the clock still ticks especially for pitchers due to potential arm injuries, if you really think you are going to make it to the big leagues.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's just the way things are nowadays. That 2021 team might be the last team we have for a while where almost everyone comes back. The portal is a weapon but the guys who come from it are likely only staying 1 or 2 years, so you are repeating the cycle again. Roster management is as hard as it has ever been.

With that being said, I would ecstatic to get Powell and Morehouse back. Adding Powell back to the young core we have would set a nice floor for the lineup and Morehouse would be a big puzzle piece in the backend. I'm not discounting what Occupy LF is saying, but I am going to need to see it to believe it with Porter Brown. He is going to be 23 in August, is a liability defensively and has one good year at the plate. I don't think MLB teams will be pounding down his door, but maybe he's ready to move on. He is pretty big on academics so that is something I would leverage for him to consider a victory lap.

The argument for Brown staying can also be the same argument for him leaving if he gets drafted.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I would agree somewhat but the clock still ticks especially for pitchers due to potential arm injuries, if you really think you are going to make it to the big leagues.

Yeah ok. The chances of either LBJ or Gordon making it to the Big Leagues is pretty remote. Maybe a cup of coffee at some point.

I mean Chance Ruffin was a much better pitcher than either of them and was a first round pick and he pitched...what? 28 innings in the Majors?

It is just really hard to make it to the Major Leagues and be successful as a "pretty good" college player. 

Edited by Valmy77

46 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah ok. The chances of either LBJ or Gordon making it to the Big Leagues is pretty remote. Maybe a cup of coffee at some point.

I mean Chance Ruffin was a much better pitcher than either of them and was a first round pick and he pitched...what? 28 innings in the Majors?

It is just really hard to make it to the Major Leagues and be successful as a "pretty good" college player. 

Oh I know the chances are small but rational thinking doesn't really work when you are young and chasing your dream.

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

You are correct. I haven't seen him in the top 300 in any mocks I've seen. I've mostly seen him around 350-400.

Round 11 starts at pick 314, and the max signing bonus for any player after round 10 is 125k. If a team goes over 125k to sign a guy outside the top 10 rounds, it counts towards their bonus pool they are assigned for the top 10 rounds so teams typically do not like to do it.

11 (343): Ryan Clifford, OF, Crossroads FLEX HS (NC) -- $1,256,530
The Astros signed Clifford away from his Vanderbilt commitment by signing him for $1,256,530, according to MLB.com's Jim Callis, using some of the money they saved on their bonus pool from the first 10 rounds. It's the second-highest bonus given to an 11th-round pick ever (Angels gave Caden Dana $1,497,500 this year).

clifford was a big time recruit. if im a hs pitcher and get drafted by a team known for developing young arms, I'd have to think hard

Edited by tx 3 putt

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

11 (343): Ryan Clifford, OF, Crossroads FLEX HS (NC) -- $1,256,530
The Astros signed Clifford away from his Vanderbilt commitment by signing him for $1,256,530, according to MLB.com's Jim Callis, using some of the money they saved on their bonus pool from the first 10 rounds. It's the second-highest bonus given to an 11th-round pick ever (Angels gave Caden Dana $1,497,500 this year).

clifford was a big time recruit. if im a hs pitcher and get drafted by a team known for developing young arms, I'd have to think hard

We were able to do that with money we saved under slot in the first 10 rounds.  Lots of the time teams don't have much or any savings to be able to go above the $125k limit after the 10th round.

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

We were able to do that with money we saved under slot in the first 10 rounds.  Lots of the time teams don't have much or any savings to be able to go above the $125k limit after the 10th round.

I’m shocked more teams don’t do the same 

It’d be nice to finally get some draft luck. The last 3 have been such kicks in the dick and the one time we do get lucky he needs TJ 2 starts into his career. 

Last 2 classes of HS arms with only Whitehead and Harrison left is killing roster construction. Just shocking to look back at. So many guys not even making it through year 1 or throwing a single pitch. Going to need a big haul and high hit rate of stop-gap portal guys. 

A college offseason is going to turn JT into a 15+ homer guy. If we can get a year 5 from Powell the infield is set with O’Dowd and Flores. Getting 2 .950 ops OF from the portal feels doable. Can’t wait to scroll Rodriguez’ new twitter follows for the next few months. 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Not having to do upper level college classes..    I've always felt that if they want you as a JR they would want you as a SR and if you have the skills to make it, then it does not matter when you are drafted.  A lot of players must look at it as an opportunity to pay their parents back for fronting select baseball $$ and then there are the student loans...

Where is LBJ projected? Why wouldn’t NIL be a strong option for him?  He’s got more speed on his fastball than Gordon but he’s also got an extra year to improve his signing bonus. Seems like if we could keep both we have a real shot at improving the roster not just treading water.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seniors have less leverage when negotiating their signing bonus, which should be a factor in deciding whether or not to leave when you have a decent offer to leave 

Correct. Seniors really have no leverage. They basically have to accept whatever is offered to him. You will often see senior signing bonuses of $5,000 or $10,000.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Where is LBJ projected? Why wouldn’t NIL be a strong option for him?  He’s got more speed on his fastball than Gordon but he’s also got an extra year to improve his signing bonus. Seems like if we could keep both we have a real shot at improving the roster not just treading water.

I've seen LBJ in the top 150-200 in a couple of mocks. Has a slot value of around $350-400k.

It wouldn't shock me to see him go sooner than that. When you throw 95 with the frame to potentially add a few ticks and have feel for an off-speed, teams are going to really like you.

30 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Question for some of you guys who are in the know on Max Belyeu:  What are your thoughts if he will get a chance to start next year or possibly portal out or what?  

Not in the know,  but a good barometer is Summer ball. May not be sent to the Cape,  but if he goes to Santa Barbara that is a good sign.  Even Northwoods would be good.

Should know within a couple of weeks.    Did he have injury ?

Was 6 for 20 in 15 games, 4 starts.   

Edited by torre

5 minutes ago, torre said:

Not in the know,  but a good barometer is Summer ball. May not be sent to the Cape,  but if he goes to Santa Barbara that is a good sign.  Even Northwoods would be good.

Should know within a couple of weeks.    Did he have injury ?

Was 6 for 20 in 15 games, 4 starts.   

.333/.333/.467 in Santa Barbara though 12 abs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Question for some of you guys who are in the know on Max Belyeu:  What are your thoughts if he will get a chance to start next year or possibly portal out or what?  

The NCAA forces you to trim down your travel roster in the postseason. Beyleu and Kobe Minchey were two of the notable names that were left off. Figured for both it was so they could get a head start with summer ball.

I am still relatively high on Belyeu but not to the point where I would go into the offseason penciling him as a starter. We will need to bring in at least 1-2 more OF's to compete with guys like him so hopefully that has been communicated. By all accounts he is a good teammate and good dude.

Gavin Kash also played in Santa Barbara last summer so hopefully there isn't a curse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I've seen LBJ in the top 150-200 in a couple of mocks. Has a slot value of around $350-400k.

It wouldn't shock me to see him go sooner than that. When you throw 95 with the frame to potentially add a few ticks and have feel for an off-speed, teams are going to really like you.

there’s enough there to work with. He could be a quality BP arm

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

there’s enough there to work with. He could be a quality BP arm

I don't know our NIL situation but I take it even as a soph that means he's probably gone?  why not toss $350K to him to stay? I'll pitch in $10 to boot.

1 minute ago, troph said:

I don't know our NIL situation but I take it even as a soph that means he's probably gone?  why not toss $350K to him to stay? I'll pitch in $10 to boot.

I agree 100%, 250 to 300k seems about the right nil slot for him. He’s an important arm for 2024’

ok let's keep Gordon and LBJ and add one more starter so we have 3 "aces" for the weekend rotation. then let's go get some mashers that have gloves. easy, peasy, yummy and cheesy.

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Just a few that have already entered the portal.....One of the more interesting I think may be Tolle from Wichita St. Thoughts on him or any others?

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/ncaa-baseball-transfer-portal-hottest-names-available-stars-who--211489657/#2182829

Tolle is going to be the one all the big teams focus on because of his two-way ability. He is good, but he isn't anywhere near Skenes level. Had a ERA over 5 in conference play and was hit around pretty good by any team with a pulse. Strikeouts are also an issue for him at the plate, but he does have pop.

Based on briefly scanning through who the coaches are following on twitter, seems like there is a focus on OF and 1B with obviously some pitchers mixed in.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Had a ERA over 5 in conference play and was hit around pretty good by any team with a pulse. Strikeouts are also an issue for him at the plate, but he does have pop.

Yeah, I saw the same thing when looking at his stats on the Shocker's site. 

Just spitballin' ...still like his 2 way ability though. 🤘

17 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Just a few that have already entered the portal.....One of the more interesting I think may be Tolle from Wichita St. Thoughts on him or any others?

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/ncaa-baseball-transfer-portal-hottest-names-available-stars-who--211489657/#2182829

I would say that looks like a must get prospect for a team like us that’s hunting for two legit starters.

97/19 Ks to BBs. 2 complete games. Big frame and body, can likely add more velo with better S&C and pitching coach. Certainly wouldn’t mind him swinging for us also.

Was thinking about the draft and thought back to  last year. A guy I really thought could have used one more year at the plate was Trey Faltine. I believe there was even some rumors that his mom was pushing for him to return for his redshirt junior season and get his degree. He went pro though and is hitting .168 in 149 minor league AB’s with almost a 50% K rate.

And he signed for under slot at 200k. Those are type of situations I feel like we should in position to take advantage of in the NIL age.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

If he's interested, Texas is interested and there is NIL slotted if he wants to come to the 40.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tolle is going to be the one all the big teams focus on because of his two-way ability. He is good, but he isn't anywhere near Skenes level. Had a ERA over 5 in conference play and was hit around pretty good by any team with a pulse. Strikeouts are also an issue for him at the plate, but he does have pop.

Based on briefly scanning through who the coaches are following on twitter, seems like there is a focus on OF and 1B with obviously some pitchers mixed in.

Shaw had stats that we didn’t think were too good but he ended up being the opposite. 

Was thinking about the draft and thought back to  last year. A guy I really thought could have used one more year at the plate was Trey Faltine. I believe there was even some rumors that his mom was pushing for him to return for his redshirt junior season and get his degree. He went pro though and is hitting .168 in 149 minor league AB’s with almost a 50% K rate.
And he signed for under slot at 200k. Those are type of situations I feel like we should in position to take advantage of in the NIL age.

Looks as though he’s hurt now. On the IL.

This year his K rate is 55% and a .114 average.

He’s got an uphill battle.

35 minutes ago, troph said:

that's got to be a major beat down of a life - minors for $200K. I wouldn't know but just my thinking.

I’d take 200k to play in the minors. Especially knowing that my career could always be baseball in some way after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’d take 200k to play in the minors. Especially knowing that my career could always be baseball in some way after that.

Yeah didn’t think about the coaching angle - getting drafted matters for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If he's interested, Texas is interested and there is NIL slotted if he wants to come to the 40.

Soooo, maybe someone in the know or knows someone in the know could reach out to him.

Maybe it drops down a bit with stiffer competition, but 97/11 K/BB ratio and .311 BA is probably worth a call or text.