2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

11 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes. I claimed he’s not an elite speed player. He’s damn fast. But elite guys are stealing more bases. DC for example averaged 20 the past two years. But I suppose our definition of elite is different.

His arm is not strong. Elite brings it all. Didn’t Hodo play centerfield last year? And Antico the year prior. Another indication EK is not necessarily elite. But maybe Hodo and Antico were eliter. I probably would lean towards Campbell and Antico being elite defenders.

I never said anything about high draft pick.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Back to the point though, Daly doesn’t bring any tools to the table that warrant play time. EK does/did. That’s why comparing them is dumb. There’s many other reasons EK got PT despite his bat.

Edited by hobbes2702

Daly also always saw himself as a SS and expressed that. I don't think he would have ever entertained a move back to 2B.
Don't have all the details but I do not think he was on the best of terms with the coaching staff by the end of the year (understandable considering they sat down a 2.5 year starter during the most important stretch of the season).

I can see that being the case. Particularly given that he was benched after a bullshit strike 3 call versus KU. And it may have been the pitch before on an attempted bunt that was more the issue.

And I’d rather there be a falling out than hey get lost multi year starter because we’re chasing the portal.

But to insinuate that a dude is what he is particularly arguing against what’s proven to be the upside that’s already been accomplished - I’ll fight any of you punks on that. Then when presented with examples and some still stick to that. Yeah, I’ll get fired up.

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes. I claimed he’s not an elite speed player. He’s damn fast. But elite guys are stealing more bases. DC for example averaged 20 the past two years. But I suppose our definition of elite is different.

His arm is not strong. Elite brings it all. Didn’t Hodo play centerfield last year? And Antico the year prior. Another indication EK is not necessarily elite. But maybe Hodo and Antico were eliter. I probably would lean towards Campbell and Antico being elite defenders.

I never said anything about high draft pick.

He said EK was a plus defender. Just because you don’t steal bases doesn’t mean you aren’t fast or have elite speed. If college baseball kept track of bunt singles as a stat he probably leads the country. Just this past weekend I remember an instance where Stanford threw over on him at least 7 times in one AB.

Eric had elite range in the outfield, was a very good glove, average bat whose average was inflated because  of the hits he stole with his speed.

But enough rambling because the main premise of your argument is that Mitch was forced out and told he didn’t have a spot on the team next year which didn’t happen given Pierce’s actions and comments to the public towards Mitch. Eric Kennedy had moments where he could have transferred and he didn’t, Mitchel Daly is being presented that same opportunity and HE CHOSE to move on. That simple.

• Hook 'Em 3

He said EK was a plus defender. Just because you don’t steal bases doesn’t mean you aren’t fast or have elite speed. If college baseball kept track of bunt singles as a stat he probably leads the country. Just this past weekend I remember an instance where Stanford threw over on him at least 7 times in one AB.
Eric had elite range in the outfield, was a very good glove, average bat whose average was inflated because  of the hits he stole with his speed.
But enough rambling because the main premise of your argument is that Mitch was forced out and told he didn’t have a spot on the team next year which didn’t happen given Pierce’s actions and comments to the public towards Mitch. Eric Kennedy had moments where he could have transferred and he didn’t, Mitchel Daly is being presented that same opportunity and HE CHOSE to move on. That simple.

I did get twisted up. An elite speed “player” is different than having elite speed. And maybe EK is a plus defender, but he’s not elite. His arm is not that of a plus defender. Does range make up for it? Maybe.

I did not claim that Daly was forced out. More so that if that were the case, that I don’t care for that action/trend. That goes for any player growing up in any program. So I’d hope it was a mutual parting of the ways.

People make decisions in their best interests. I don’t know or claim to know what those are. Some of those decisions are how important baseball is relative to education.

I like this pickup. Was hurt a lot his first 3 years at Baylor but was finally healthy this year and flashed some good stuff. Midweek/backend of the rotation type starter. Really good slider.

Borderline first round pick out of high school.

Congrats to the Waco area Horn fan that was at the series this year and is friends with the family. Now your interests are fully aligned.

15 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Boo? To an upperclassman that can’t hit his weight? 

Pierce has a recruiting issue. The guy flat out understands how to coach the game and teach. I’m a fan without question, can he address the recruiting issue? The latest hires are fairly mediocre.

Can we please start a petition that coaches don’t need to wear uniforms?

I'd much rather see them in full unis than those ridiculously stupid fishing shirts so many dipshits wear.

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I like this pickup. Was hurt a lot his first 3 years at Baylor but was finally healthy this year and flashed some good stuff. Midweek/backend of the rotation type starter. Really good slider.

Only guy on that team with decent stuff. Maybe Woody can straighten out his delivery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sykora, Gasparino, and Witt were the only longhorns on fangraphs top 120 draft prospects list that came out today.  I still suspect Johnson, Gordon, and Campbell will go in the top 10 rounds, so are heavy risks to go, but it wouldn’t shock me if any of those 3 guys were lured back.  Guillemette is gone.  But I think all the other underclassmen and recruits that don’t portal will be at Texas next season.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Sykora, Gasparino, and Witt were the only longhorns on fangraphs top 120 draft prospects list that came out today.  I still suspect Johnson, Gordon, and Campbell will go in the top 10 rounds, so are heavy risks to go, but it wouldn’t shock me if any of those 3 guys were lured back.  Guillemette is gone.  But I think all the other underclassmen and recruits that don’t portal will be at Texas next season.

I would hope we can get at least one of Brown, Guillemette or Powell back. Doesn’t seem like asking for too much. Powell might be most likely.

Edited by Hookem2147

TCU and A&M are opening up the checkbooks again this cycle. Don’t know specifics but apparently TCU has a group of big $ donors specifically funding baseball. And they still have the normal private school advantages when it comes to working around the scholarship limits. I’m sure we will go H2H against them for a few guys.

A&M had an awful hit rate in the portal last cycle outside of Haas at SS so will be interesting to see what they end up with this cycle.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Anyone hoping the Marucci shopping spree was a one off should be plenty disappointed by now

Will be interesting to see what happens with several of the highly touted freshman they brought in last year. Several of them started at the beginning of the season and then were benched for veterans and have barely played down the stretch. Wouldn’t shock me to see 1 or 2 of them end up in the portal.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Daly needed to go, regardless of how it happened.  I don’t wish him ill will, but still take this as a s step in the right direction.  He had no upside.  None. Zip.

He didn’t necessarily need to go but in order to stick around he needed to be open to a much lesser role on the team.  His starting spot needed to be a true open competition with hopefully some new transfer portal blood in it.  Daly likely wasn’t willing to go into his senior year without a guaranteed starting spot and so he left, I don’t blame him.

25 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Kolby Branch is an interesting one for SS. Initially committed to Rodriguez. .967 fielding % without a noticeable positive trend as the year went on. Ton of doubles as a freshman that maybe start to turn into HRs - BU has pretty short corners though so maybe not. 1:1 bb/k

OU.

Not even a real portal recruitment. Has a brother committed there. Pre-determined decision it sounds like.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

He didn’t necessarily need to go but in order to stick around he needed to be open to a much lesser role on the team.  His starting spot needed to be a true open competition with hopefully some new transfer portal blood in it.  Daly likely wasn’t willing to go into his senior year without a guaranteed starting spot and so he left, I don’t blame him.

But, you see, he wasn’t open.  So, yeah, he really needed to go.

Updated offseason tracker (changing format and excluding the HS signees until after the draft, also took out a few guys who I am pretty sure are moving on and not returning):

-We basically will return about half the team as things currently stand (20 returners with eligibility with 40 man rosters next year). I'm sure we will have some more guys enter the portal in July as more stuff clears up about the roster.

Spoiler

Portal/JUCO imports (4): OF Seth Werhcan (walk on, Penn), OF Casey Cummings, RHP Will Rigney, RHP Gage Boehm

Portal Exports (3): RHP Kobe Minchey, INF Mitchell Daly, LHP Chris Stuart

Returning position players with eligibility (8): INF/OF Jayden Duplantier, INF Jalin Flores, C Rylan Galvan, 1B Jared Thomas, C Kimble Schuessler (walk-on), OF Max Belyeu, INF Cade O'Hara, C Grant Fahrlander (walk-on)......I am pretty sure Hoffart and Constantine are moving on

Position players facing draft decision (4): OF Dylan Campbell, 3B Peyton Powell, C Garrett Guillemette, OF Porter Brown

Returning pitchers with eligibility (12): LHP Chase Lummus, LHP Ace Whitehead, LHP David Shaw (out for year), RHP Charlie Hurley, RHP Max Grubbs, RHP Travis Sthele, RHP Cody Howard, RHP Heston Tole, RHP Cameron O'Banan, LHP Luke Harrison, RHP Pierce George, RHP Andre Duplantier

Pitchers with draft decisions (4): RHP Lebarron Johnson, RHP Tanner Witt, LHP Lucas Gordon, RHP Zane Morehouse

• Hook 'Em 1