2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

5 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

But probably $.

Almost all the top transfers it's about money. 

Take Loer for example. He committed to LSU when they don't even have a pitching coach. This is the new reality of NIL. One of the top transfer portal pitchers commits to a team where he doesn't even know who is going to be coaching him next season. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, it sounds like LSU added that other Xavier pitcher (Loer) with the intention of him being a starter. At least that's why they're telling him. 

Maybe they're looking for 1 more starting pitcher. 

Hurd, Little, Shores (missing 24?), Noot, Loer, Xavier Friday guy. Would be a lotta guys who want starts 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

Updated:

IN from the portal/juco ranks: RHP Gage Boehm (San Jac), LHP Will Mercer (Notre Dame), LHP Oliver Santos (Duke), RHP Will Rigney (Baylor), OF Casey Cummings (Chabot College), OF Seth Werchan (Penn)

OUT: LHP Chris Stuart, INF Mitchell Daly, RHP Pierce George, RHP Kobe Minchey, RHP DJ Burke

Pretty safe to say we are winning the trade off right now

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Intel I got is low floor and high ceiling.

Chris Gordon,  our Asst for Hitting Pitching Development, was pitching coach at Duke when Santos was recruited from high school.    May explain the connection.   Will see what develops.

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Updated:

IN from the portal/juco ranks: RHP Gage Boehm (San Jac), LHP Will Mercer (Notre Dame), LHP Oliver Santos (Duke), RHP Will Rigney (Baylor), OF Casey Cummings (Chabot College), OF Seth Werchan (Penn)

OUT: LHP Chris Stuart, INF Mitchell Daly, RHP Pierce George, RHP Kobe Minchey, RHP DJ Burke

Good shit man. 

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Updated:

Is Boehm a for sure thing? 

18 minutes ago, Levi said:

Is Boehm a for sure thing? 

Don't know much about him. I'm assuming you are referencing the ability to get him on campus?

He only had 28 innings in 20 appearances (3.54 ERA) this year so he's definitely a reliever all the way. Typically MLB teams aren't tripping over themselves to draft a dude with an obvious relief profile in the top 10 rounds unless he just has filthy stuff and can climb the ladder quickly. Not sure that fits Boehm.

Edited by Hookem2147

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don't know much about him. I'm assuming you are referencing the ability to get him on campus?

He only had 28 innings in 20 appearances (3.54 ERA) this year so he's definitely a reliever all the way. Typically MLB teams aren't tripping over themselves to draft a dude with an obvious relief profile in the top 10 rounds unless he just has filthy stuff and can climb the ladder quickly. Not sure that fits Boehm.

Gotcha. I could have sworn that I read he wasn’t penciled in for next year. Might be thinking of another guy. 

I think the usual suspects tampered with Holman. LSU or Arkansas.

I like Chadwick. Good swing from the left side. Saw his average dip down to .291 this year but his slugging went way up and he still walked almost the same amount as he struck out. Career .416 OBP. Has much better career numbers than Porter Brown did coming in from TCU (although the WAC ain't exactly the Big 12).

Here is a pitcher to keep in an eye on from Northwestern. Numbers don't pop off the page but he was in the rotation as a freshman and came on strong towards the end of the year. Ended up having an ERA under 4 in conference play. Keep in mind Northwestern was absolutely awful so he couldn't have been getting much help. Is playing with Santa Barbara this summer which is filled with Texas guys. https://nusports.com/sports/baseball/roster/sam-garewal/10881

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I like Chadwick. Good swing from the left side. Saw his average dip down to .291 this year but his slugging went way up and he still walked almost the same amount as he struck out. Career .416 OBP. Has much better career numbers than Porter Brown did coming in from TCU (although the WAC ain't exactly the Big 12).

It isn't but SHSU plays a really strong non-conference schedule. Chadwick can play but I'm sure there's a lot of other teams after him too. A very experienced player that can hit. 

@Hookem2147 do you think Harrison could be a Sunday starter next year? Dude has good stuff and it seems like he could get us 6ish solid innings an outing. Guess it depends what happened with Gordon, LBJ and Stehle but I wouldn’t mind Harrison a shot. Dude had decent stuff in ‘22

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

@Hookem2147 do you think Harrison could be a Sunday starter next year? Dude has good stuff and it seems like he could get us 6ish solid innings an outing. Guess it depends what happened with Gordon, LBJ and Stehle but I wouldn’t mind Harrison a shot. Dude had decent stuff in ‘22

If Texas doesn't go and buy one of these top starters in the portal (I.e Holman from Bama or Bosacker from Xaiver) we're doing things all wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Florida is doing the same thing. They just bought Shelton from Alabama. 

This is the game now. The top SEC teams are in the championship series because they're going to buy the top portal players. Hopefully, we're doing the same or we aren't going to compete at that level. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas doesn't go and buy one of these top starters in the portal (I.e Holman from Bama or Bosacker from Xaiver) we're doing things all wrong. 

Fair enough. Harrison has solid stuff so him being a Sunday type dude would make sense if we somehow miss out on those dudes 

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Fuck Jay Johnson, fuck Tommy white, fuck skenes, fuck Hurd and fuck lsu. Cajun cocksuckers 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You providing the funding for this? haha

Wouldn't shock me one bit if this run by LSU motivated that donor/fan base to pour even more money into their NIL bucket. They have pretty much been proven right in their decision to back up the money trucks for Skenes and Tommy White.

Edited by Hookem2147

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wouldn't shock me one bit if this run by LSU motivated that donor/fan base to pour even more money into their NIL bucket. They have pretty much been proven right in their decision to back up the money trucks for Skenes and Tommy White.

Don’t worry, @HenryJames is our big dick playa. He’ll be buyin us multiple titles 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wouldn't shock me one bit if this run by LSU motivated that donor/fan base 

It will Texas too or at least it should. 

If Texas has Skenes and White on the roster this year they're almost certainly where LSU is. It's comparable rosters outside those 2 with LSU's roster maybe slightly better. Spending a couple million on those types is insane ROI if you have a decent roster in place. 

If Texas adds one legit starting pitcher (Holmon) and one legit bat (Peebles, Hainline, etc) we're right there in the mix to compete for a title. After seeing what LSU has done this year, I don't know how the big money donors wouldn't be motivated. But maybe baseball is on the back burner compared to football/basketball. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas has Skenes and White on the roster this year they're almost certainly where LSU is. It's comparable rosters outside those 2 with LSU's roster maybe slightly better. Spending a couple million on those types is insane ROI if you have a decent roster in place. 

If Texas adds one legit starting pitcher (Holmon) and one legit bat (Peebles, Hainline, etc) we're right there in the mix to compete for a title. After seeing what LSU has done this year, I don't know how the big money donors wouldn't be motivated. But maybe baseball is on the back burner compared to football/basketball. 

Shit, just having skenes would’ve gotten us to Omaha. God I’m still pissed we didn’t land him. Fuck lsu 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I get what you are saying man. It all sounds good on paper. You are correct that money whipping good players typically leads to good results. But someone still has to cut the check or pledge the money. It sounds like our NIL effort in baseball have made progress and continues to make progress, but it's pretty obvious who we are behind. Florida, Arkansas and LSU pretty much get their pick of who they want right now. The rumor was the CEO of Marucci, who is a LSU alum, gave $1 million towards their NIL efforts this year.

I'm encouraging everyone I know to contribute to the Texas One Fund. Hopefully the loyalty points thing will give us another boost. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I get what you are saying man. It all sounds good on paper. You are correct that money whipping good players typically leads to good results. But someone still has to cut the check or pledge the money. It sounds like our NIL effort in baseball has made progress and continues to make progress, but it's pretty obvious who we are behind. Florida, Arkansas and LSU pretty much get their pick of who they want right now. The rumor was the CEO of Marucci, who is a LSU alum, gave $1 million towards their NIL efforts this year.

I'm encouraging everyone I know to contribute to the Texas One Fund. Hopefully the loyalty points thing will give us another boost. 

I think we will find out where Texas is this cycle. There are some big names. 

Peebles, Hainline, Almanza, Bosacker, Tolle, and Holman. If we aren't landing a couple of these guys something is wrong. Not blaming anybody just saying that's the system now. We aren't competing at that level unless we land some of these type players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s crazy that a school as “poor” as LSU has all this NIL money but we can’t compete with that with a more wealthy base. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s crazy that a school as “poor” as LSU has all this NIL money but we can’t compete with that with a more wealthy base. 

I don't think it's that. They just prioritized baseball it seems. 

LSU definitely isn't working Texas in basketball or football when it comes to NIL. 

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You can’t be this dumb. Wait….yeah you can. You’ve proved it time and time again 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lsu big cigars came through last off season 

Good for them. Still, we had a bromance with Air Force last year. Skenes couldn’t have taken a pay cut to come be with us? His money was coming via the draft but like fuck. Whatever fuck it 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yup, the LSU poor run of form down the stretch in the regular season was going to play nicely into discouraging another shopping spree. Hopefully having capable assistants and a full staff this off-season help our pitch more than last year. The whole “we made game 3 of the supers in a rebuilding year” pisses me off. There shouldn’t ever have to be rebuilding years now 

12 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Yup, the LSU poor run of form down the stretch in the regular season was going to play nicely into discouraging another shopping spree. Hopefully having capable assistants and a full staff this off-season help our pitch more than last year. The whole “we made game 3 of the supers in a rebuilding year” pisses me off. There shouldn’t ever have to be rebuilding years now 

They're definitely still spending. They already added one of the top transfers in the portal without a pitching coach for next season. 

44 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

We lost like our entire lineup from last year and Hansen, Stevens, Cobb and  southhard. No fuck it was a rebuilding year. We did a great job brining in transfers too. Depending on how the draft pans out, we should be loaded next year. Chill dude 

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

We lost like our entire lineup from last year and Hansen, Stevens, Cobb and  southhard. No fuck it was a rebuilding year. We did a great job brining in transfers too. Depending on how the draft pans out, we should be loaded next year. Chill dude 

I think this is definitely fair. 

LSU returned almost their entire lineup from last year. They didn't have to do nearly as much roster "rebuilding" as we did. It set up perfectly for them to add 1 legit starter and 1 big bat. Which is what they did. 

I think we will be in a similar situation after the draft which is why we should be all in on 1 legit starter and 1 big bat. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I get what you are saying man. It all sounds good on paper. You are correct that money whipping good players typically leads to good results. But someone still has to cut the check or pledge the money. It sounds like our NIL effort in baseball have made progress and continues to make progress, but it's pretty obvious who we are behind. Florida, Arkansas and LSU pretty much get their pick of who they want right now. The rumor was the CEO of Marucci, who is a LSU alum, gave $1 million towards their NIL efforts this year.

Not to mention there are so many good players at every level of college baseball, there will be a sweet spot that is reached at some point in terms of return on investment and how much teams are willing to spend.

It’s worked for LSU this year up to this point mostly because of Skenes.

I think going forward you will definitely start to see bidding wars when talents like Skenes hit the portal. Bats are much easier to find obviously.

Would like to see Texas use the majority of the NIL funding to build the pitching staff ever year.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think this is definitely fair. 

LSU returned almost their entire lineup from last year. They didn't have to do nearly as much roster "rebuilding" as we did. It set up perfectly for them to add 1 legit starter and 1 big bat. Which is what they did. 

I think we will be in a similar situation after the draft which is why we should be all in on 1 legit starter and 1 big bat. 

It is fair. Shit our 2000-2011 run had some rebuilding years, 06-08 were essentially rebuilding years though the 06 and 08 teams should’ve done some serious post season damage but that’s baseball for ya. 

Agreed. Somehow getting Gordon and LBJ back would be fucking incredible. Add a stud starter and a legit SS or power bat and we’re in business 

16 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It’s worked for LSU this year up to this point mostly because of Skenes.

It worked too because they didn't have to replace much of anything in the lineup. 

Crews (started 62 games in '22), Morgan (started 62 games in '22), Dugas (started 33 games in '22), Jobert (started 57 games in '22), Thompson (started 62 games in '22), Pearson (started 35 games in '22), and Beloso (started a bunch of games in '21 but was injured early in '22). 

They returned a ton from last year's lineup. Can a team like LSU continue to prioritize a couple big names when there's more roster turnover? Are the BMDs going to have the same motivation when they know a loaded roster isn't returning where they just need a couple big transfers? 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It worked too because they didn't have to replace much of anything in the lineup. 

Crews (started 62 games in '22), Morgan (started 62 games in '22), Dugas (started 33 games in '22), Jobert (started 57 games in '22), Thompson (started 62 games in '22), Pearson (started 35 games in '22), and Beloso (started a bunch of games in '21 but was injured early in '22). 

They returned a ton from last year's lineup. Can a team like LSU continue to prioritize a couple big names when there's more roster turnover? Are the BMDs going to have the same motivation when they know a loaded roster isn't returning where they just need a couple big transfers? 

I wouldn’t think so. What they did last offseason NIL wise doesn’t seem sustainable but wtf do I know 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Somehow getting Gordon and LBJ back would be fucking incredible. 

Yeah, but that isn't happening. I would be happy to just get 1 back and that's probably a long shot. 

But I think we have a real shot of getting a lot of our lineup back. Powell, Brown, Thomas, O'Dowd, and Flores I think will all be back. I also really like the potential of the bullpen with Harrison returning from injury. With Morehouse, Harrison, Tole, Hurley, Whitehead, and Mercer (really good add from the portal) I think there's a lot of potential there. 

What we need is starting pitching. Maybe 1 of Gordon or LBJ returns. But we need to be dropping some money on 1 or 2 of these stud starters in the portal because I think the lineup and bullpen will be good next season.