2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why Hookem2147 assured us the Big 12 tourney doesn't matter.

It often doesn’t matter. Having to worry about playing one less game and getting an opportunity to rest some of the arms that have carried this team would be a win/win

Edited by chase25

30 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It often doesn’t matter. Having to worry about playing one less game and getting an opportunity to rest some of the arms that have carried this team would be a win/win

Sweep Kansas and it probably won’t matter. 

But as @WBT pointed out, I bet they send Texas to Arky or Aggy regardless. 

Not 2024 related but Dee Kennedy, Hudson Hamilton, Easton Tumis and Nik Sanders are all headed to play in Santa Barbara this summer. That summer team/league has been good to us in the past for helping develop young guys. Dylan Campbell, Max Belyeu, Jalin Flores and Rylan Galvan all played on that team in recent years.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, chase25 said:

It matters this year. Got to do well.

And Texas should be about winning all the championships, I know this one is the one that matters least but winning a Big 12 title on the way out would be sweet.

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

And Texas should be about winning all the championships, I know this one is the one that matters least but winning a Big 12 title on the way out would be sweet.

Well, we can't win the regular-season Big12 Championship as our old assistant coach Skip Johnson has tied that up for Mobilehoma this year.

I don't know if winning the Big12 tournament championship does us much -- it hasn't in years past IIRC -- other than jack our pitching staff out of regular rest before the regionals start.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not 2024 related but Dee Kennedy, Hudson Hamilton, Easton Tumis and Nik Sanders are all headed to play in Santa Barbara this summer. That summer team/league has been good to us in the past for helping develop young guys. Dylan Campbell, Max Belyeu, Jalin Flores and Rylan Galvan all played on that team in recent years.

How do you (or does one) find out where all of the different players will be in the summer?  I don't recall that kind of information being published anywhere.  I usually have to hunt with the google machine under each players name I am interested in and that takes a while.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

It does not, yet. The only thing that matters right now is Kansas. Win the series against Kansas and Texas is a 2 seed come tournament time regardless of whether they go 0-2 in Arlington or win the tournament. Lose the series or get swept and then the tournament becomes more important because you made it matter, not because it inherently matters. So I agree that by the end of this coming Saturday the tournament could matter.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not running out an already banged up Ace Whitehead to try and win a tournament championship that has little to no effect on where Texas gets sent. If we win it because other arms stepped up, great.

As far as where we get sent? Where the 2-4 seeds in regionals get sent is often a numbers game with how many regionals there are in a specific region relative to how many teams qualify for the tournament in that region.

For example their are only 7 teams on the west coast in the RPI top 70 yet their is a scenario where they could get two regional hosts which means a few teams would have to get sent out there to fill those regionals. Or if they only get one regional then some of those west coast schools are getting shipped out. Especially given the fact that UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine play in the same conference, as well as Oregon State, Arizona, and Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

I don't know if winning the Big12 tournament championship does us much -- it hasn't in years past IIRC -- other than jack our pitching staff out of regular rest before the regionals start.

Sweep Kansas and win Big 12 tournament would put us at 40-20. Probably 20s for RPI and in top 15 of polls. We would either go to Indiana State or Santa Barbara or maybe be hot enough to host.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Sweep Kansas and win Big 12 tournament would put us at 40-20. Probably 20s for RPI and in top 15 of polls. We would either go to Indiana State or Santa Barbara or maybe be hot enough to host.

You keep saying this.  All that tells me is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

But, we are not going to win out from here, so you can keep telling yourself it was a possibility.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You keep saying this.  All that tells me is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

But, we are not going to win out from here, so you can keep telling yourself it was a possibility.

Ok

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Well, we can't win the regular-season Big12 Championship as our old assistant coach Skip Johnson has tied that up for Mobilehoma this year.

I have seen zero evidence that our pitching staff has ever been impacted by the Big 12 tournament. And we have almost a full weeks rest between the tournament and the start of the regionals. How that jacks anything out of regular rest I have no idea. Out of the five years we have won the tournament, three times we made at least the semi-finals in Omaha because, you know, good teams win stuff.

And winning the Big 12 tournament championship doesn't do as much. But it is still a championship. 

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah I don't see us sweeping Kansas, winning the conference tournament, or hosting. But I am just saying it would be a lot cooler if we did...though probably not hosting even if we beat everybody 20-0.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity, I just went down a rabbit hole and looked up the last 10 national champions and how they did in their conference tournament. Obviously, not because I think Texas is winning it all, but it was interesting to see the randomness of the results.

23 (LSU): 1-2, lost in quarterfinals

22 (Ole Miss): 0-1, lost in first round

21 (Miss State): 0-2, run-ruled both games

19 (Vandy): 4-0, SEC Champs

18 (Oregon State): No PAC12 tournament at this point

17 (Florida): 2-1, 16-0 loss in semifinals

16 (Coastal Carolina): 4-0, won Big South Tournament

15 (Virginia): 1-3, didn't advance out of pool play

14 (Vandy): 1-2, loss in quarterfinals

13 (UCLA): No PAC12 tournament

The 2002 Texas team won the Big 12 tourney, 2005 Texas team went 2-2 and lost in the semifinals. 2004 team also went 2-2.

Edited by Hookem2147

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Out of curiosity, I just went down a rabbit hole and looked up the last 10 national champions and how they did in their conference tournament. Obviously, not because I think Texas is winning it all, but it was interesting to see the randomness of the results.

23 (LSU): 1-2, lost in quarterfinals

22 (Ole Miss): 0-1, lost in first round

21 (Miss State): 0-2, run-ruled both games

19 (Vandy): 4-0, SEC Champs

18 (Oregon State): No PAC12 tournament at this point

17 (Florida): 2-1, 16-0 loss in semifinals

16 (Coastal Carolina): 4-0, won Big South Tournament

15 (Virginia): 1-3, didn't advance out of pool play

14 (Vandy): 1-2, loss in quarterfinals

13 (UCLA): No PAC12 tournament

The 2002 Texas team won the Big 12 tourney, 2005 Texas team went 2-2 and lost in the semifinals. 2004 team also went 2-2.

The 2009 Texas won the Big 12 tourney and finished runner up in Omaha. 2003 won the Big 12 tourney and finished 3rd.

2008 and 2015 both won the Big 12 Tourney and then lost in the Regionals but both of those teams were not good, both coming in 5th in the regular season. They just got hot enough to win the Big 12 tourney.

So my conclusion is: the good Texas teams that won the Big 12 Tournament also did really well in the NCAA tournament. The bad ones who won the Big 12 tournament did not.

Edited by Valmy77

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I have seen zero evidence that our pitching staff has ever been impacted by the Big 12 tournament. And we have almost a full weeks rest between the tournament and the start of the regionals. How that jacks anything out of regular rest I have no idea. Out of the five years we have won the tournament, three times we made at least the semi-finals in Omaha because, you know, good teams win stuff.

And winning the Big 12 tournament championship doesn't do as much. But it is still a championship. 

I’d say the concern with this team is that many guys have pitched more innings than in previous years to go along with limited depth.  It’s preservation of total innings/pitches more than recovery time from the tourney.

24 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The 2009 Texas won the Big 12 tourney and finished runner up in Omaha. 2003 won the Big 12 tourney and finished 3rd.

2008 and 2015 both won the Big 12 Tourney and then lost in the Regionals but both of those teams were not good, both coming in 5th in the regular season. They just got hot enough to win the Big 12 tourney.

So my conclusion is: the good Texas teams that won the Big 12 Tournament also did really well in the NCAA tournament. The bad ones who won the Big 12 tournament did not.

Looks like 02 and 09 were the only years where we won both the regular season title and tournament title. 10 regular season titles and 5 tournament titles overall.

Completely forgot about that 2015 team. They were so bad all year then had 3 complete games in a row to start the Big 12 tournament. 

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I don't see us sweeping Kansas, winning the conference tournament, or hosting. But I am just saying it would be a lot cooler if we did...though probably not hosting even if we beat everybody 20-0.

In past years there was less time between the Big12 tournament and the regionals -- that was finally fixed when I bet the schools complained. This year, the Big12 tournament ends on May 25th, and the regionals start May 31st, or for some teams, June 1st.

Also often we'd play in open-air ballparks like Bricktown Ballpark in OKC, and they'd get 2 games behind in the schedule because of rain, and we'd finish a day late with the already short schedule before they fixed the dates between the Big12 tournament & the regionals.

No rain this year being in Globe Life Field with its retractable roof/air-conditioning/heating (Enron Field/Minute Maid Park has no heating thanks to cheapskate Drayton McLane).

Rain will be part of our SEC baseball future as long as the SEC keeps their SEC tournament in that hole named Hoover.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

In past years there was less time between the Big12 tournament and the regionals -- that was finally fixed when I bet the schools complained. This year, the Big12 tournament ends on May 25th, and the regionals start May 31st, or for some teams, June 1st.

Also often we'd play in open-air ballparks like Bricktown Ballpark in OKC, and they'd get 2 games behind in the schedule because of rain, and we'd finish a day late with the already short schedule before they fixed the dates between the Big12 tournament & the regionals.

No rain this year being in Globe Life Field with its retractable roof/air-conditioning/heating (Enron Field/Minute Maid Park has no heating thanks to cheapskate Drayton McLane).

Rain will be part of our SEC baseball future as long as the SEC keeps their SEC tournament in that hole named Hoover.

They had to move the championship game from Sunday to Saturday because of BYU entering the conference. So now they start Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Of course BYU didn’t even qualify for the thing this year but that extra day of rest at the end should be helpful for whoever has to play 5 or 6 games.

Edited by Hookem2147

58 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

That little detail means we wont be winning the big 12 tourney so there is no need to worry lol 

21 hours ago, .45s said:

How do you (or does one) find out where all of the different players will be in the summer?  I don't recall that kind of information being published anywhere.  I usually have to hunt with the google machine under each players name I am interested in and that takes a while.

@Hookem2147     Did you see this post to provide an answer to one of the new members  ?

21 hours ago, .45s said:

1 minute ago, torre said:

@Hookem2147     Did you see this post to provide an answer to one of the new members  ?

Santa Barbara was posting it on their social media channels. They are in one of the more notable leagues outside of the Cape Cod League so they have good coverage/social media presence. You usually have to wait until the summer season actually starts to find out where everyone else goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Santa Barbara was posting it on their social media channels. They are in one of the more notable leagues outside of the Cape Cod League so they have good coverage/social media presence. You usually have to wait until the summer season actually starts to find out where everyone else goes.

Thanks !

TexasSports.com does a poor job of covering Summer ball.    Occasionally, they may publish an article with assignments,  but not often.   Same for AAS.

@.45s   If you have the time you can always search the websites for the rosters of the California Collegiate League,  Cape Cod, and Northwoods leagues.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Latest projection is 2 seed in Wake Forrest regional

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-projected-field-of-64-may-15/

Interesting. Would be matched up with Troy in the first game, and that regional goes against the OU regional.  Wake's stadium seats about 3,800.

7 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-projected-field-of-64-may-15/

Interesting. Would be matched up with Troy in the first game, and that regional goes against the OU regional.  Wake's stadium seats about 3,800.

They definitely play in a launching pad. 300 down the line to RF, 310 to LF and 400 to CF. 

They've had an interesting year. Only 15-12 in the ACC and outside of Chase Burns, their pitching has been extremely shaky considering what they returned. 16-14 vs Q1 and Q2 teams on the season. Texas is 17-11. 

Posted (edited)

BA and Teddy Cahill normally have a pretty solid prediction.   Surprised that OU is #8 seed even though they are reg season conf champs.   Dallas Baptist in anyone's Regional has to be a concern.

Wake Forest does at present have a top 10 RPI.

2024 Selection Commitee   Indiana AD Dolson replaced Clinkscales.

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1742328560654692433/photo/1

image.thumb.png.d8859bc7e05090c7016d4d6aa262d4ab.png

Edited by torre

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The weather looks pretty dicey tomorrow. The last thing you want on the final weekend before a short turnaround to the Big 12 tournament is a doubleheader. 

Getting worse according to my app.  I'm betting on double header.

17 minutes ago, .45s said:

Is Ace hurt?  LBJ's conference ERA is near 9 and as discussed elsewhere his last three games have been pathetic as to ERA, hits, walks, HRs, etc.

Ace has been working through an injury this season, I'll bet he is resting for regional action.  It'll give someone else a chance to step up and help us through the next week and a half.

I know all games matter, but having everyone healthier is more important right now..

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, .45s said:

Is Ace hurt?  LBJ's conference ERA is near 9 and as discussed elsewhere his last three games have been pathetic as to ERA, hits, walks, HRs, etc.

Probably resting him up for the regional. Series against Kansas isnt a huge deal and you would rather have a rested Ace than a hampered Ace when you enter the tourney. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

X-posting myself from the game thread:

IP by season.

Ace:

2023: 26.1

2024: 54.2

Max:

2023: 8.2

2024: 64.0

That's a large difference for Ace (especially pitching through a nagging injury) and a massive increase for Max. Texas is in the postseason regardless of what happens at this point; and has no shot to host. So, it makes sense for Pierce to give Ace a "rest", limit Max, and see if Hurley can work his way back as a realistic starting option for the postseason.

For Texas to do anything positive in the NCAA Tournament, pitching must step the fuck up. Hold onto your butts, friends.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the input on Ace and Pierce's comments from the radio interview.  Hopefully the offense is in gear in case Hurley or LBJ are not on the game, or even Max.  It would be great to see good consistent hitting and good consistent pitching for a whole series.

Hook'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2024 at 10:09 AM, torre said:

Thanks !

TexasSports.com does a poor job of covering Summer ball.    Occasionally, they may publish an article with assignments,  but not often.   Same for AAS.

@.45s   If you have the time you can always search the websites for the rosters of the California Collegiate League,  Cape Cod, and Northwoods leagues.

Thanks for the input guys.  I don't usually follow TexasSports.com but have relied on using my google machine to check the various summer leagues and teams.  I spent a whole day last year searching those leagues and teams so that I could track down most of the players that were in the summer leagues, including some of the incoming freshman.  The websites for some of them are not particularly good; however it did allow to keep track of a lot of the players.

Some of the Cape Cod teams broadcast their games live on the internet (but the feeds are not good).  I saw Tanner pitch a couple of times last summer and he had shown no improvement at that point either.

Probably been beaten to death but I don't want to read back several pages.  To find a team with a Q4 record this bad, you have to go down to #68 South Alabama.  Past that, it's #109 Michigan State.

To find a team with a Q1 record this good, you have to go up to #19 Duke.  Past that, it's #13 OU, or #5 Tennessee.  Actually, the only team in college baseball with a materially better Q1 record is #2 Kentucky (19-6).  No one else is more than a few games above .500.

Sounds about right, borderline top 10 or dogshit depending on the day.

image.thumb.png.bea9028f3adbdadec5ccbbef66f84d3a.png

1 hour ago, ryskey said:

Probably been beaten to death but I don't want to read back several pages.  To find a team with a Q4 record this bad, you have to go down to #68 South Alabama.  Past that, it's #109 Michigan State.

To find a team with a Q1 record this good, you have to go up to #19 Duke.  Past that, it's #13 OU, or #5 Tennessee.  Actually, the only team in college baseball with a materially better Q1 record is #2 Kentucky (19-6).  No one else is more than a few games above .500.

Just the strangest season I've seen in almost 40 years of following Texas baseball.

2 hours ago, ryskey said:

So if we only play Q1 teams in the tourney, then we should be golden. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So if we only play Q1 teams in the tourney, then we should be golden. 

That's the genius of David Pierce.  Make sure we do not get a number 1 seed to avoid the possibility of playing a Q4 team in the tourney.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I know everyone is frustrated with DP (at a minimum), but watch that team clear the dugout after the game-winning sac fly tonight.  This team has the same kind of culture that Sark is cultivating.  Hang on.

21 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

That's the genius of David Pierce.  Make sure we do not get a number 1 seed to avoid the possibility of playing a Q4 team in the tourney.

They're now predicting we go to the College Station regional....ugh.