2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah I hear the Keys are nice.  Is it a quick drive from Gainesville to Tallahassee?

It was 6+ from the keys to Orlando, so no.  We took a few days and crawled up the coast from miami  to cocoa beach.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Really young but a lot to like. Somewhat similar to Max Weiner who Schloss just hired from the Mariners. McGrath helped produce George Kirby out of Elon and followed him into the Mariners farm system as a coach for a few seasons.

On 5/26/2024 at 11:00 PM, petscii said:

It was 6+ from the keys to Orlando, so no.  We took a few days and crawled up the coast from miami  to cocoa beach.

It is 4+ from Key West to Miami.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It is 4+ from Key West to Miami.

Google maps puts it at 6 hours and 39 minutes going straight Florida Turnpike to Key West to Orlando. We left midday Thursday and stopped for a long afternoon dinner and then every beach on the way from Ft Lauderdale and we were able to do laundry before bed at the hotel in Cocoa Beach that night.  Yay west coast internal time clocks.

I will note that I like driving, and rented my next car purchase from Sixt rather than a econobox. We also booked it to St Augustine and back to Orlando for a Whataburger run after the game Sunday. 

I made the drive from Orlando (adjacent) area to Key West a couple times while attending Stetson University where I was the final cut to make the walk-on squad.  May they beat the shit outta FSU on Friday.  This all hits close to home, though I couldn't hit for shit.  

And csb/ to the above point.  I once woke up in Saint Augustine, FL.  Flagler College.  Women's dormitory.  No air conditioning for some weird reason.  It was a simpler time.  But also far more bizarre.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I made the drive from Orlando (adjacent) area to Key West a couple times while attending Stetson University where I was the final cut to make the walk-on squad.  May they beat the shit outta FSU on Friday.  This all hits close to home, though I couldn't hit for shit.  

And csb/ to the above point.  I once woke up in Saint Augustine, FL.  Flagler College.  Women's dormitory.  No air conditioning for some weird reason.  It was a simpler time.  But also far more bizarre.  

Florida is much nicer than the Internet would have you believe.   Full disclosure it does not rain as much in Seattle as the Internet would suggest either...

The GF will do SEC baseball trips for more Florida trips.

Edited by petscii

Yeah dude, I lived there for years.  I still have family there.  I've seen every nice part and every armpit, from the Panhandle to the Keys to the Center to the Everglades to Naples to Jacksonville.  Geographically speaking, and in terms of the beaches, it's quite nice.  Much nicer than most Americans give it credit for.  The problem is, is that it's chalk-full of Floridians.  

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah dude, I lived there for years.  I still have family there.  I've seen every nice part and every armpit, from the Panhandle to the Keys to the Center to the Everglades to Naples to Jacksonville.  Geographically speaking, and in terms of the beaches, it's quite nice.  Much nicer than most Americans give it credit for.  The problem is, is that it's chalk-full of Floridians.  

The panhandle has an argument for  the best beaches in the country (and I live in Hawaii) if you got rid of the people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The panhandle has an argument for  the best beaches in the country (and I live in Hawaii) if you got rid of the people

Man, they are a beating, though.  We ponied up for the pricey spots (Rosemary Beach and Henderson Beach) a couple of times, and it helped, but there was still a lot of trash.

I mean, I grew up in the rural midwest, I am acutely aware of the species redneck and am friends with many, but Florida takes some of that shit to a new level.

Posted (edited)

I think next visit we are going to slice up the gulf side (clearwater, naples, etc)  to or fro from baseball to Key West.

I must have been very lucky, I saw very little "florida man" behavior in the 7 days I was there. 

Edited by petscii

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, petscii said:

I think next visit we are going to slice up the gulf side (clearwater, naples, etc)  to or fro from baseball to Key West.

I must have been very lucky, I saw very little "florida man" behavior in the 7 days I was there. 

the keys would be my personal paradise (and actually less Key West than you'd think) if I wasn't going to be arrested for using the public restroom or wearing a tennis skort. I have a friend with a SFY in Islamorada and we are planning a trip to stay on his boat (done it before) at the marina and fish for tarpon on the fly / on a skiff in the skinny water and then take his boat out for the pelagics in the deep water. fishing waters there every way you look. blue water, green water, deep water, shallow water, sunsets, just an unreal place to be like the Texas coast (which I love) but turned up to 11.

Edited by troph

SEC Commissioner Sankey on SEC Tourn in Hoover (exercpts)    Note the ingress/egress issue.

"We're going to be certainly in Hoover for a few more years. They've made commitments," Sankey said of the city's efforts. "You can see the entry. You can see the redone parking lot. You could walk through the facility and see enhancement plans before we play again next year. They've built the Finley Center, which is an all-purpose building that really accommodates our fans in an outstanding way. ...

"I made some notes about ingress and egress (this year). There's a direct way in. We were stacked up about a mile and a half on the 459 when I was driving in about two hours before the game. How do we reduce the fan friction to access the facility is top of mind. Now, credit to the city of Hoover. They actually sent people out to buy bottles of water that they were handing out, and they had done preparation in advance knowing that there'd be a great crowd and dealing with the heat. ... But we need to continue to work on reducing the challenges, if you will, for access for those big crowds."

Sankey noted how the Hoover Met draws large audiences, even on school nights. He mentioned a story in which an Ohio State fan came up to him during the tournament and told him they had previously seen the enviornment and wanted to be a part of it.

"I think we want to respect that we've built something special in that location," Sankey said. "... The geographic center, even after this next expansion, is just north of Birmingham. So, it's an accessible place if you want to get there. It's going to be distant from the outer edges of the league, but it's a pretty special place. We've got 250-plus RV hookups that sellout just like that. If you ever walk through that community, for one week it is a community. (It's) fun to see people enjoying college baseball in a really unique way."

Sankey was also asked about the potential desire to put more tournaments in the western half of the conference landscape, especially now that the Longhorns and Sooners are involved.

"The pressure is to get the site location right," Sankey said. "There are sets of championships that do rotate around. Those are campus-based championships. ... We actually looked diligently and have surfaced that issue, identified that issue with our membership to say, 'Hey, we're ready to look west. We have looked west.' But the opportunities we've had in other locations have just been voted the priority. ...

"We'll continue to look at western opportunities. I was vocal about it, but the decisions made by our membership has created the inventory in the locations we have."

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2024/05/29/sec-baseball-tournament-hoover-met-greg-sankey/73900368007/

2 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

It needs to stay in Hoover.  Just like big 12 should have stayed at brick town. 

Bricktown is in OKC. There is no reason for the conference tourney to take place in a town without the infrastructure to properly support it.

On 5/28/2024 at 2:50 PM, NorthLoop said:

Man the aggy tears would taste so good if we could ruin this for them. 

But then we keep DP.  Not a good outcome.  I would think if we don’t make the CWS then DP should be heading for the exit 

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, NashLonghorn said:

But then we keep DP.  Not a good outcome.  I would think if we don’t make the CWS then DP should be heading for the exit 

So you're rooting for us to lose? Go fuck yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 11:09 PM, NorthLoop said:

So you're rooting for us to lose? Go fuck yourself. 

That’s where you are wrong. Dead wrong.  I have rooting for Texas probably before you were born from the late 70s -early 80s when I was in school.  I sat about 5 rows up behind home plate with all the MLB scouts and their jugs guns for every home game. I watched Roger Clemons put on a strike out clinic against Alabama in the 1983 CWS final.  

I have never, ever rooted against the Longhorns and I hope they smash the aggies tonight and will be rooting them to go as far as possible in the CWS. I just made an outcome comment. 

Carry on. 

Edited by NashLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

It is kind of crazy how things went to shit ever since that injury to Tanner Witt in 2022. We were just coming off a Top 4 finish, ranked #1 with a 11-0 record and an invincible looking pitching staff and then...

Edited by Valmy77