The CSB Thread

MaybeACoordinator

Tell your cool starries, fam...

Since many of you don't venture into the CR, I'll share one I posted over there...

How My Mama Made David Allen Coe Cry

Some time around 1974, David Allen Coe stole two songs from my mama's friends -- he nicked the melody for "Field of Stone" from Townes Van Zandt and he just straight straight jacked "Piece of Wood and Steel" from Richard Dobson. So around that time my parents hosted a party and all those dudes -- TVZ, Dobson, Guy, (maybe) Earle, Steve Young, Coe, probably Billy Joe -- were there. Basically the cast of Heartworn Highways. And mama took the cover of Coe's current album and propped it up vertically against the toilet tank, so that all the dudes there were pissing on it all night long. (Intentionally wayward aim.) Coe didn't know why everybody was looking at him and laughing until he went in there to take a leak and saw his piss-stained album cover staring back at him. 

Poor Coe just wanted to be accepted, and thought he had really made it into the in crowd of the best young Nashville songwriters, but the thieving little shitheel did steal those songs, so fuck him.  

When I was very little, my dad was a pretty heavy drinker. He went out most nights with his buddies, and my mom's only stipulation was he be home by midnight. He also collected firearms. He'd sell them if he had an interested buyer and the price was right. Anyway, one night around '72, he came home after the bars closed, and had a man with him who was interested in buying one of his guns. My mom was waiting up for him, pissed off, and met him at the door with her little .25 Derringer in her hand, exclaiming, "You son of a bitch, you were supposed to be home hours ago. You and your long-haired drinking buddy get out of my house!" The man he was with excused himself immediately.

That man was Waylon Jennings.

One of my direct ancestors founded the city of Laredo. The great Don Tomas Sanchez, who was of Spanish nobility. Someone fucked up in the couple centuries after that because my family was poor as hell for as long as anyone could remember until my parent's generation started going to college.

52 minutes ago, Deej said:

When I was very little, my dad was a pretty heavy drinker. He went out most nights with his buddies, and my mom's only stipulation was he be home by midnight. He also collected firearms. He'd sell them if he had an interested buyer and the price was right. Anyway, one night around '72, he came home after the bars closed, and had a man with him who was interested in buying one of his guns. My mom was waiting up for him, pissed off, and met him at the door with her little .25 Derringer in her hand, exclaiming, "You son of a bitch, you were supposed to be home hours ago. You and your long-haired drinking buddy get out of my house!" The man he was with excused himself immediately.

That man was Waylon Jennings.

So that inspired him to do Good Hearted Woman?

I flew the B2 Spirit (stealth bomber) simulator at Whiteman AFB when Dad was stationed there. Graphics weren’t impressive but the full motion, full on avionics, and real life controls were amazing...I crashed into a KC-135 trying to refuel and killed my whole family. Thing has ground effect like a paper airplane and is a bitch to land.

Nuclear weapons are stored there and seeing the security at the far side of the base is an amazing thing.

I have mentioned this before, July 1989, I saw this.

I was in the Air Force and several of us were TDY to Edwards AFB, for another reason. We heard about this going to happen, so we went out to the fence closet to the runway. I have to do some digging but I know I have some pics of it taxiing down the runway towards us, and taking off. It flew around for a little while then landed, never raising the landing gear.

• Like 1

I grew up listening to the stories of old West Texas from my great grandmother who was born in 1900 in Arkansas then moved to West Texas at 4. She died just a few months shy of her 100th birthday so she had seen a lot of interesting things. For example, she arrived in Texas by covered wagon yet watched man land on the moon.....then still lived another 30 year after that.

Shortly after establishing their land in Texas, her uncle (fathers brother, I believe) Pat Garrett rode up to the house on a half dead horse. He took their best horse and rode off without ever saying  a word. Only time she ever saw her father scared. This was much after his days of killing billy the kid and all that. It was at the end of his life when we was collector of customs in El Paso for teddy Roosevelt. Well, he got fired from that and was broke and in debt. He was killed a couple of year later. 

• Like 1

I wrote about this on the other board per the Texas Independence thread.  

I'm a direct descendant of James Clinton Neill.  He of the Gonzales "Come and Take It" flag.  I got interested in genealogy several years ago and came across this fact per a distant uncle.  He had all kinds of info mapped into his own website.  He had a story on there about how he and his family took a covered wagon from Oklahoma to Comanche, TX to visit his cousins, who turned out to be my great-grandparents.

When I told my mom about this, she replied, "Oh yeah.  I remember Papa Phillps talking about Colonel Neill when I was a kid."  Gee mom.  Think you could have filled me in on this info considering how much I like Texas history?  Especially given that my paternal grandmother had put us in the Sons and Daughters of Texas because, on my father's side, his great-great-great grandfather was the ambassador to the US when Texas was a country.

• Like 1