2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You know it. I’d expect record crowds in Morgantown and Manhattan. Maybe Orlando bc it could be the top 2 teams in the Big 12. No satisfaction for Baylor, Tech or ISU

This shit is annoying. 

People always get upset when Texas fans say "we are everyone's superbowl" but it's true. UH and TCU fans (for fucking volleyball) prove it the past few matches. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I understand Parra transferring due to lack of playing time the past 2 years but feels like she made a bad decision. 

Skinner and Parra would be a deadly attack at OH. 

Also we would have had 2 legit six rotation OHs. Probably would have meant not recruiting Barnes.  Parra showed tonight she can pass well, bc she was targeted a lot 

• Hook 'Em 1

1) We have to stop gifting the 1st set. Stating the obvious. 
2) So I guess Big 12 fans are only going to show up when they play Texas? I guess it's nothing new. 
3) I think we all undervalued how good Skinner is. She's damn good and she's doing it with major issues at OH2. 
4) Wenas is such a weird player. She's awful at the beginning of matches and becomes really good at the end of matches. Any explanation for why this happens every match? It's almost like Elliott knows she gets better at the end of matches because he keeps going back to her when she's terrible to start. 

Re #2. It wasn’t quite 50/50 but damn near 45/55. There was a lot of Orange there. Also, all the big club vball teams and a couple high schools brought girls in. I’d say it was a vball crowd and not so much a TCU crowd.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This shit is annoying. People always get upset when Texas fans say "we are everyone's superbowl" but it's true. UH and TCU fans (for fucking volleyball) prove it the past few matches. 

We are the current National Champions so almost every team is gonna get up to play Texas VB right now.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

There's quite a VolleyTalk kerfuffle going on regarding Wenaas.

She has 167 kills on .208 hitting %.  But Molly is hitting .199 with  - your super senior opposite. 

Jenna struggled last night, no doubt. 10-5-25, hit. 200.  But Molly? 5-4-19, .053...

I'd almost wonder if we play Devin more at OPP (her natural position) and keep Wenaas at OH, because Elliot it not taking that RS off Byrd, clearly. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

There's quite a VolleyTalk kerfuffle going on regarding Wenaas.

She has 167 kills on .208 hitting %.  But Molly is hitting .199 with  - your super senior opposite. 

Jenna struggled last night, no doubt. 10-5-25, hit. 200.  But Molly? 5-4-19, .053...

I'd almost wonder if we play Devin more at OPP (her natural position) and keep Wenaas at OH, because Elliot it not taking that RS off Byrd, clearly. 

Not to hate but Molly has never been great since moving from the middle. She's just not mobile or athletic enough. Our roster was just so loaded the last 2 years that it didn't really make a difference and all we needed from her was a good block. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Elliott is definitely struggling with his player mixes on the court.

Not sure it's really struggling with "player mixes." We just simply don't have another elite OH to pair with Skinner. 

Byrd is probably the most talented out of the group but it seems like Elliott is not willing to burn her RS. 

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not sure it's really struggling with "player mixes." We just simply don't have another elite OH to pair with Skinner. 

Byrd is probably the most talented out of the group but it seems like Elliott is not willing to burn her RS. 

I think people who simply expect another Logan to be paired with Maddie just don't get it. Wenaas is hitting .208, Molly .199 and Devin .149. There simply isn't a better option unless Byrd's shirt is burned, and only people going to practice know if that's a better option. In hindsite, Molly shoulda never been moved to OH. Asjia probably would've been a better OH, but it's too late now. And honestly, not having that 2nd OH, along with the things Zoe did on defense, and passing to set up the offense, is why Texas won't repeat.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I think people who simply expect another Logan to be paired with Maddie just don't get it. Wenaas is hitting .208, Molly .199 and Devin .149. There simply isn't a better option unless Byrd's shirt is burned, and only people going to practice know if that's a better option. In hindsite, Molly shoulda never been moved to OH. Asjia probably would've been a better OH, but it's too late now. And honestly, not having that 2nd OH, along with the things Zoe did on defense, and passing to set up the offense, is why Texas won't repeat.

It's unfortunate that Parra transferred. 

Skinner and Parra at the pins with O'Neal and Bergark at middle, this team would have been a legit national title contender again even with a FR setter and a bit of a regression defensively. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's unfortunate that Parra transferred. 

Skinner and Parra at the pins with O'Neal and Bergark at middle, this team would have been a legit national title contender again even with a FR setter and a bit of a regression defensively. 

You're not wrong.

OH1 Skinner playing 6 rotations
OH2 Parra playing 6 rotations
MB1 O'Neal
MB2 Bergmark
OPP Philips/Devin
L Halter
S Swindle
D/S Akana and Barnes

That could win a title.  We should have tried harder to keep Parra.  

Funny enough, a few Texas fans wanted to go after Kenna Saur after her sensational match 1 against Texas - she and Wenaas are both hitting .208, and her career hitting % at Tech was .200, while Wenaas was .214 at Minnesota

The Molly thing is.... she needs a perfect set.  She can't clean up the trash - she's The Surgeon because she can terminate a perfect set.  She's not getting perfection from a freshman setter, because Fleck isn't back there passing dimes.  And Devin's low hitting % is lack of reps, lack of continuity (yanking her quickly) and that she's probably spending the vast majority of practice getting sets from Crownover on the B squad. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think Parra was pretty much checked out last year when she was benched. Which wasn't surprising when we added better defensive talent on the back row.

Wasn't it rumored most of the year that Parra was almost guaranteed to transfer? I'm not sure there was much Texas could do when Parra simply wasn't going to get many opportunities when Texas added Halter, Fleck, and Akana to the back row. Maybe more opportunities at OH but that was still a problem with Eggleston and Skinner. 

Just don't think the divorce was really avoidable unless Parra was able to see big picture why she wasn't getting playing time. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Parra was pretty much checked out last year when she was benched. Which wasn't surprising when we added better defensive talent on the back row.

Wasn't it rumored most of the year that Parra was almost guaranteed to transfer? I'm not sure there was much Texas could do when Parra simply wasn't going to get many opportunities when Texas added Halter, Fleck, and Akana to the back row. Maybe more opportunities at OH but that was still a problem with Eggleston and Skinner. 

Just don't think the divorce was really avoidable unless Parra was able to see big picture why she wasn't getting playing time. 

Maybe, and likely.  But really, if someone in her camp was telling her she was going to or should start over 5th year senior All-American Eggleston or two-time All-American and 2020 National Champion Skinner, she was delusional to believe that.

She would have been first in line to start at OH2 at Texas in 2023 and Texas wouldn't have even sniffed Wenaas.

I'm glad she's thriving at TCU, I really am.  This isn't a helicopter dad situation like Lexi Sun.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is off until Thursday and Friday (Baylor x2 in Austin) so looking at impact matches:

UCF finally has a real Big 12 test against Baylor in Waco, so we get to see if they are for real or not. Think we want Baylor to win both, because we play Baylor twice and only play UCF once. 

WSU lost to USC and has UCLA tomorrow.

Stanford has Oregon tomorrow.

We need Ohio State to get a quality W at Indiana today.

BYU looked really good against a quality ISU team, so that helps us (swept BYU and only play ISU once).

Need Minnesota to rack up some more wins - chances against Nebraska, Wisconsin and Purdue for some ranked wins. Sadly our two big non-conf wins don’t look great right now (Minny and Ohio State are a combined 16-19)

The big match tonight is Wisky and Nebraska but a loss isn’t going to knock either one out of regional hosting. 

We really need two of Stanford, WSU and Louisville to pick up some bad/more losses if we win out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

After watching that match, our biggest weaknesses compared to those two teams are the 3 rotation OH, right-side hitter, floor defense, and setter. 

Jenna/Devin just aren’t consistent terminal hitters. 

Molly needs a perfect, fast-tempo set to be effective. 

Their overall floor defense is light years ahead of ours. They are more organized, where we fall into moments looking like they are playing next to each other for the first time. 

And for how much Ella has improved, her set location and overall bettering-the-ball skills is still not there yet. 

Still a lot of matches to improve, but realistically a regional final may be this team’s highest potential…hopefully I’m wrong. 

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!