Twilight zone

nineliveslost

8 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Couldn't find it in search.

Number 12 Looks Just Like You - Wikipedia

This episode should be remade for today's audiences. Not only this episode , but this fits with social media

The pinky thing is stolen by Austin Powers movies

rewatch the original series every 5 years or so. Classic

One the of the most prescient episode of the original series, so far.

I'm a huge TZ fan.  I think I've seen every episode except for some of the newest ones done by Jordan Peele.  I watched a couple of them, and they weren't very good.  I've actually drafted 7 "episodes/ideas" myself.  I just need to get around to writing them

"Time Enough at Last" is my favorite.  Some more...

To Serve Man

Nightmare at 20,000 feet - both the original and movie versions

The Masks

The Invaders

Believe it or not, the episodes that came out in the 80's had some good ones as well...

Examination Day - All kids have to "pass" a certain test at age 12

The Shadow Man - Monster under a bed that "can't harm he under whose bed I sleep"

Dead Run - Delivery to hell

Something in the Walls - People are haunted by the patterns they see in the walls

I can't find the name, but there's one about a guy trying to stop smoking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I still have never gotten around to watching the famously banned episode, "The Encounter."  It sat unaired in syndication and never put onto tape/DVD for literally 40 years.  

Anybody know how to stream/pirate it?  

Another very prescient one was the Librarian deemed obsolete by the state.  Don't recall the episode title, but Burgess Meredith us Wordsworth (he of nuclear holocaust reading time with no glasses fame).  It reminds me a lot of nowadays with people clamoring for doing away with the study of literature, art, philosophy, and history when they themselves have as the foundation of their critical thinking skills, "Well it must be true if a lot of people are saying it..." 

I loved watching Twilight Zone on WGN late at night with my father as a little kid.  With a cigarette, suit, and hair slicked...my father could do the voice and be taken for a dead ringer for Rod Serling.  He would wax nostalgic about this kinda underground time in America, not necessarily counter-culture but the idea that the post WWII illusion of conformity as happiness was against our wiring.  About 1958-1964, before the real radicalization sprouted.  He was in high school during the early part of that era.  And he lost himself in two very American traditions-playing organized baseball, preparing to enlist in the U.S. Navy (JROTC), and one not so conventional route---immersing himself in alternative literature/cinema/television (limited though that last one was).  It wasn't to piss off his parents and he liked his mainstream life on main street America.  But there was an itch that only Ray Bradbury, Rod Serling, Walter Miller, and Stanley Kubrick could scratch.  The chord Twilight Zone struck with that generation opened them up to all kinda other shit.  Except the kid turning the old guy into a Jack-in-the-Box, that's just fucked  up.      

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm a huge TZ fan.  I think I've seen every episode except for some of the newest ones done by Jordan Peele.  I watched a couple of them, and they weren't very good.  I've actually drafted 7 "episodes/ideas" myself.  I just need to get around to writing them

To Serve Man

The Masks

The Invaders

Believe it or not, the episodes that came out in the 80's had some good ones as well...

The Shadow Man - Monster under a bed that "can't harm he under whose bed I sleep"

Something in the Walls - People are haunted by the patterns they see in the walls

7 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Also one of my favorites

"The long morrow". Just a kick in the nuts

Just saw it. Very "Gift of the Magi" in trope and not the best TZ episode, IMO.

21 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Couldn't find it in search.

Number 12 Looks Just Like You - Wikipedia

This episode should be remade for today's audiences. Not only this episode , but this fits with social media

The pinky thing is stolen by Austin Powers movies

rewatch the original series every 5 years or so. Classic

Saw this just now as well. It was pretty good, thanks for sharing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You want prescience? Check out He’s Alive, season 4 episode 4, starring Dennis Hopper as an aspiring young Fascist.

Wow, that's a little too on the nose.  I don't remember seeing that one, but I'm guessing I know some people who did.  

Reminds me of something about authoritarian/nationalist movements I read.  Something to the effect of, "The only thing more disturbing than the belief system these people hold is their notion that they think it's a new idea."  

I enjoyed The Howling Man. I thought that was a great episode. I used to stay up late at night on weekends to watch the series in syndication. It came on right before Mission Impossible. Trying to watch both was a challenge. I'd be up till 1 or 2 in the morning. 

Sunday afternoons in the summer on WGN was fun too. Top 5 television series for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

To Serve Man

The Masks

The Invaders

You mentioned the 80s series.  One that really messed with me from that run was called “need to know.”   I had to google the plot to find the episode name.  Frances McDormand was in it but at the time I wouldn’t know her name.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

You mentioned the 80s series.  One that really messed with me from that run was called “need to know.”   I had to google the plot to find the episode name.  Frances McDormand was in it but at the time I wouldn’t know her name.

Yes!  Forgot about that one.  Wasn't it the one in which people were being whispered the meaning of life?  When they found out they went crazy.  It had a cool, final scene if it's the one I think is.

• Like 1

I think that was the one.  Was it the 80's Twilight Zone run or "Outer Limits" or "Tales from the Dark Side" where the guy was sentenced a one year punishment.  But instead of prison, them emblazened his forehead with that mark that made him "invisible" to everyone else.  So nobody could talk to him, or acknowledge him.  It was crappy acting and writing, but the way he breaks down in the end was kinda eerie.  I still turned out to be an anti-social curmudgeon, but the episode still sticks with me.  And yes, he does all kinda creepy shit I like as a junior high kid-sits in a hot tub with women at a gym, takes cassette tapes and food from the food court for free.  

Another vote for fucked up Twilight Zone original run:  The couple that wakes up from being shitfaced to an abandoned, seemingly fake town and run away on a train that just goes in circles.  Only to discover they were abducted by giant aliens and they are the people in the trainset of the kid girl.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I've checked out a few of the episodes mentioned on Paramount+, thanks for the tips.

I've always really enjoyed short form SciFi (Short stories, these 20 min vignettes like TZ, etc.), even more so than long form (Ray Bradbury, etc.)

These stories are super creative and really able to illustrate a deeper human-centric problem, ironically enough given that they involve a lot of supernatural and non-human beings. I think having the ability to get outside of the human form (and reality as we know it form) gives us the power to investigate the really deep human condition issues, and issues around morality and philosophy and psychology.

One of my favorite of these short forms is a very little known series that was on HBO and was a spin-off of Tales from the Crypt (another great series, using horror as the Trojan Horse to interesting, human-centric storytelling) and a modern spin, slight knock off of Twilight Zone, called Perversions of Science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perversions_of_Science

I remember watching it as a teen and enjoying it, this episode stuck out. Edit to add, it might be a little racier/NSFW (nipple) than I remembered, as it was on HBO, so I will spoiler it.

Spoiler

Edited by Longhornsnus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw the thread title and I thought it was about my favorite Jock Jams anthem from the early nineties. I guess the old tv show looks okay and maybe I should check it out. But back in the day 2 Unlimited were everywhere and it was great. The song even inspired a theme for the Mortal Kombat video game.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

Gave a young Parliament nightmares:

I know this is an inconsequentially stupid question...but when the mom walks in and he's shoving organs into his mouth...does she die because she's just in abject and horrified shock?  Or was the heart he "Bring" end up being hers and so of course she died with no coronary activity?  Great premise, but the "social worker" fucked up the whole tone of the episode from "We have special programs, here's a pamphlet.  What's this now?  He can create inanimate objects out of thin air.  He seems special."  

17 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I know this is an inconsequentially stupid question...but when the mom walks in and he's shoving organs into his mouth...does she die because she's just in abject and horrified shock?  Or was the heart he "Bring" end up being hers and so of course she died with no coronary activity?  Great premise, but the "social worker" fucked up the whole tone of the episode from "We have special programs, here's a pamphlet.  What's this now?  He can create inanimate objects out of thin air.  He seems special."  

I viewed it as she died from shock/heart attack

Also, guess who wrote this episode without looking again:

Spoiler

Written by George R.R. Martin and starring legends Richard Mulligan and Anne Haney. From Season Two, Episode Five.

TBH, thought it was a pretty weak episode overall. Dated with the R-word, but it did remind me of having a 2 year old.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 5:33 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Gonna watch this one later @Parliament as I don't recall it.  

Kind of reminds me of the original episode of the toys trapped in a "well".  If you've seen it, you know.

William Windom wins the character actor thread.  His authority figures all wrought with angst.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, animaltobacco11 said:

I viewed it as she died from shock/heart attack

Also, guess who wrote this episode without looking again:

Reveal hidden contents

Written by George R.R. Martin and starring legends Richard Mulligan and Anne Haney. From Season Two, Episode Five.

TBH, thought it was a pretty weak episode overall. Dated with the R-word, but it did remind me of having a 2 year old.

George R Martin?