Selling jewelry

• 2 weeks later...

MY SO is a seller, buyer, appraiser.

She has written books on the subject and has testified numerous times as an expert witness.

She is not a Horn but I am (Class of 1981) and as such, will see that you don't have the screws put to you.

Here is her website:

https://geolat.com/

This is her page on 1stDibs...

https://www.1stdibs.com/dealers/geolat-mondial-llc/

her direct email is pjgeolat@geolat.com.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, hookem2010 said:

We inherited some I believe fairly high-quality jewelry that my wife isn't interested in holding onto. Anyone have experience or recommendations on where to go to sell fine jewelery, and if you'd recommend getting it appraised first?

On 8/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, hookem2010 said:

We inherited some I believe fairly high-quality jewelry that my wife isn't interested in holding onto. Anyone have experience or recommendations on where to go to sell fine jewelery, and if you'd recommend getting it appraised first?

Hey there. First off, this is specifically what I do for a living so let me kind of give you a full rundown:

estate jewelry gets evaluated two separate ways:

1. Certain items will be distilled into component value… like.. let’s say you have a 1980s gold nugget ring with two carats of diamonds and a beautiful sapphire. Technically a ring like that would be worth, on a retail level, the value of the diamonds, gold, sapphire and labor. But in the estate jewelry world that’s something I’m buying to take apart because if I wait for a buyer for the piece it will never sell. 
2. Finished sellable pieces. These are items that I’ll buy as-is and put into my inventory. I’m an ideal world there is a platinum art deco sapphire and diamond bracelet or some other super in-demand item. That’s something I’m happy to buy for the value of the components plus the labor. Further in this category can be “signed” or designer pieces where something is worth considerably more because it was made by Tiffany and co, van cleef and arpels, David Webb or some other designer that’s ubiquitous in jewelry. 

my business is bandbdiamonds.com and if you want to come in I’ll go over pricing for the items and make offers and then I’d advise you to get a few other bids just to make sure you’re paid the highest amount for the items, especially the important ones. Hope that helps 

• Hook 'Em 1

Crayon help me years ago with some engagement ring advice.  Total stranger from the shag helping out another total stranger is pretty cool.  Although he could have advised me to not marry the sucubus.  That advice would have been priceless.  Glad to see him back, hope you’re doing well.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2023 at 1:47 PM, hookem2010 said:

Check for signatures to see if any of it is by a specific maker like Tiffany, Cartier, or Van Cleef, etc…. That increases value.