Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn’t watch but the way you guys were talking about the officiating, uncertainly didn’t expect to see a 34 to 11 fta in Texas’ favor. 

although tech only had 3 more total fouls.

seems like the plan was to make us beat them with 3s and free throws.  And we didn’t take the bait and bomb away, then made enough free throws. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

They are shooting 31% from three for the year and 53% today.

Isn't that the case for most Texas opponents? If Texas leaves the gooner shooters that open on 3's you can forget any conference championship. Hopefully Vic runs some zone so the defenders don't get picked so much. And please quit trying to get a good shot by running the opponent over. Don't our ladies know by now if it's even close the foul is going against Texas?

And fuck Brett Yormark. BTW.

• Hook 'Em 1

Felt like Texas was going to pull away until the “intentional” foul on Jones (yeah she hit the girl in the face after he arm was pulled back first) and then when the refs ruled the 3 point shot happened before the foul, counted the basket and gave Tech the ball back.

It felt like they handed Tech points in those two sequences. it was 69-58 Texas. 2 Tech FTs on the intentional, a layup, 2 Jones FTs and then the 3 point basket + layup. So the refs, in that span, gave Tech a very quick 9-2 run in about 60 seconds 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/womens-basketball/2024/02/21/basketball-coach-vic-schaefer-calls-out-longhorns-after-texas-tech-win/72548200007/

Vic is very, very upset.   May be gamemanship to get team's attention for the stretch run and postseason.   (excerpts, long article)

That's not how we practice or prepare. It really bothers me. In my mind, we didn't earn the victory tonight. I thought Texas Tech really took the fight to us and Coach (Krista) Gerlach and her team are to be commended for that."

That doesn't make it any easier, y'all. We're lucky, we won the game. I'm hopeful my kids will learn from it. But when you have worked all year to put yourself in this position with four to go, you have four championship games. Now we have three and that's what you're going to bring to the table?

Gerlich, who played for Texas Tech, and Schaefer both said they'd be open to playing in the future.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, torre said:

Gerlich, who played for Texas Tech, and Schaefer both said they'd be open to playing in the future

No

id be fine continuing to play Baylor since KM is gone. But no love lost for Gerlich and Tech. Vic is clearly a better man than me, because when she implied he’s a bad role model for young women, I would have decked her 

44 minutes ago, torre said:

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/womens-basketball/2024/02/21/basketball-coach-vic-schaefer-calls-out-longhorns-after-texas-tech-win/72548200007/

Vic is very, very upset.   May be gamemanship to get team's attention for the stretch run and postseason.   (excerpts, long article)

That's not how we practice or prepare. It really bothers me. In my mind, we didn't earn the victory tonight. I thought Texas Tech really took the fight to us and Coach (Krista) Gerlach and her team are to be commended for that."

That doesn't make it any easier, y'all. We're lucky, we won the game. I'm hopeful my kids will learn from it. But when you have worked all year to put yourself in this position with four to go, you have four championship games. Now we have three and that's what you're going to bring to the table?

Gerlich, who played for Texas Tech, and Schaefer both said they'd be open to playing in the future.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, torre said:

Thanks for pulling the quotes for us. Much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, torre said:

The administration already said they wouldn't go back to Lubbock due to past serious safety concerns.

If we need to beef up our noncon schedule in the future we might play a B12 team, but it won't be Tech.  Tech can wither and die, no one would notice.

Vic is a fiery and competitive person. You go right from the court to the media afterwards. I’m not surprised if she was not in a good mood from that effort. It’s not the end of the world 

Alpha Dog Madi indeed.

Madison and Jones played 25 and 24 minutes due to foul trouble. Madi made 10 for 10 on FTs and Jones scored 19 points in 24 minutes.

Moore was injured and played 2 minutes and Hadi has scompered.

Amina was making me insane last night. She got absolutely smoked on D a number of times, shot 4 for 9 on free throws, and got in her 1 traveling call per game.

But, she kept us in the game shooting 6 for 8 from the field, scoring 15 points and pulling down 15 boards - 10 offensive. Her rebounding kept us in the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

#5/5 Texas (25-3, 12-3 Big 12) vs. UCF (12-13, 3-12 Big 12)
Saturday, Feb. 24 at 11:00 AM CT
Financial Arena | Orlando, Florida
TELEVISION: The game will be on ESPN+. Scott Adams (pxp), Rich Zvosec (analyst) and Matison Little (reporter) will call the game.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM

UCF Schedule Analysis
On February 3, the Knights claimed their signature win of the season, a 71-66 victory over the Iowa State Cyclones,
UCF Leaders
Kaitlin Peterson: 20.3 PTS, 2.2 STL, 38.4 FG%, 33.1 3PT% (56-for-169)
Mya Burns: 10.6 PTS, 38.8 FG%, 26.2 3PT% (17-for-65)
Laila Jewett: 8.5 PTS, 38.2 FG%, 41 3PT% (34-for-83)
Khyala Ngodu: 6.2 PTS, 52.2 FG%
Achol Akot: 5.3 PTS, 51.5 FG%

UCF Regular Season
vs Bethune             W 101-63
vs Anderson SC     W 96-73
vs Auburn               W 60-53
vs Jackson St         W 63-54
vs St John's            W 61-48
vs Sacred Heart      W 69-58
vs Campbell            W 42-41
vs New Orleans       W 72-45

vs FAU                      L 59-58
vs Morgan St           W 67-41
@ Oklahoma            L 69-52
vs Oklahoma S         L 68-61
vs 11 Kansas St        L 72-56
@ Cincinnati             L 64-63
vs 24 West Virginia  L 76-59
@ 12 Baylor              L 77-74
@ TCU                     L 66-60

vs Houston              W 92-87
@ 23 West Virginia L 84-43
vs Iowa State          W 71-66
vs Cincinnati           L 67-61
@ Texas Tech         W 69-64
vs BYU                    L 64-60
@ 7 Kansas St        L 60-58
@ Oklahoma St       L 67-54

vs 5 Texas      2/24
vs Kansas       2/28
@ Houston       3/2

Interesting tidbit on Blair’s Instagram today: She had a story with Rori on a stationary bike working out and Rori said she has two more years. I guess she already petitioned the NCAA for a waiver and got one? I know Vic mentioned they were going to. Great news.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's becoming clear that if we win out in the regular season we're definitely getting a 1 seed. 

Already a lot of gnashing of teeth that Texas isn’t deserving and the Big 12 is bad, etc. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:26 PM, torre said:

I’m going to choose to believe Vic was just being nice in this comment as that’s his personality. I don’t fully believe this will actually happen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’m going to choose to believe Vic was just being nice in this comment as that’s his personality. I don’t fully believe this will actually happen. 

#1 recruit in '25 is from Lubbock and Texas Tech is apparently in the mix. Translation, we want to beat your ass next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1