Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isu girls were on the floor and getting hit a lot last night against a team and coach that hates contact in the sport. 

It's because Tara is a hypocrite. She runs a motion/spread offense that is reliant on space on the perimeter. The way you disrupt that is by getting into their body and preventing them from running action. 

She's going to be begging for a billion off the ball fouls like she did a couple years ago in the elite 8. 

Texas hasn't faced Stanford since 2022 

NCAA Elite 8 - Stanford 59-50
Regular Season - Texas 72-62

That Elite 8 game, we held them to 37% shooting, 3-17 from three and only 22 FTs (we shot 20), but they were 18-22.  They also turned it over 20 times.  Texas, however, was abysmal - 33% shooting, 5-13 from three, 11-20 FT (woof) and only 10 turnovers.  Our post players were offensive - Ebo 0-6, Gaston 0-2, Moore 2-3 (but only played 10 min due to fouls). 

In the December 2022 win at Stanford, Texas shot 45%, 8-21 from three, 8-11 FT, only 8 turnovers.  Stanford shot 44%, 8-18 from three, 14-19 FT and 18 turnovers.  Texas won the rebounding battle +1. 

I would think a 2024 matchup in the Elite 8 would look like a mix of both games, something where the score is around 65-60.  Who wins, depends on how the game is called and if we don't miss 15 bunnies.  Texas held Brink to 4-9 (1-4) for 10 points, 6 boards and 4 fouls.  It was Jones and Lexi Hull who torched us (18 and 20 points).  

Dee, Holle and Moore are the only ones left from that Elite 8 game. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Shit, brink was acting like she didn’t think she even fouled her.

eta- maybe they are saying that the foul occurred after the block, so loose ball foul?

I watched most of this game and this was Stanford's defense against Crooks all night. Bring you arms down and maul her knowing the refs would protect Tara and her girls. There is a reason Crooks was 3-21. Brinks should have fouled out three times. Just a horrible display of officiating.

Oh and Emily Ryan is incredible, dare I say the next Caitlin Clark.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigEhorn said:

Oh and Emily Ryan is incredible, dare I say the next Caitlin Clark.

She'll be back next year too.  Between Ryan, Brown and Crooks, I am so glad we won't face ISU next season. 

46 minutes ago, BigEhorn said:

NCAA protecting their golden goose, Caitlin Clark. Iowa uses friendly whistle to pull away late. Free throw discrepancy? Iowa 25-30, West Virginia 3-5. Awful again.

you know what this is about, don't you? BCS.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think I'd rather play Utah.  Zags can shoot and that's about the only way we can get beat.

Both these teams can shoot. 

They're also both bad perimeter defending teams which is leading to wide open 3s in this game. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Both these teams are pretty much mirror images of each other. Average in most areas but they can both shoot from 3 which overcomes those issues. 

We are also completely different than both these teams. We are much more defensive-minded and our offense is all about scoring inside the paint compared to 3s. 

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Gonzaga it is. They are 32-3 on the year which includes a win over Stanford. If we let them get hot from 3 and Texas misses too many layups, our season could end prematurely.

You have to dare them to drive and run them off the 3 point line. 

They did beat Stanford but Stanford's best player was sick and only played 10 minutes. 

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You have to dare them to drive and run them off the 3 point line. 

They did beat Stanford but Stanford's best player was sick and only played 10 minutes. 

I like this matchup more than Utah. Because I'm not sure anyone can guard Pili.  And Vic knows how to shut down a high powered offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

West Virginia did nothing but foul all game and dare the refs to call it. Clark was literally bleeding from her leg at one point. Every rebound had people being thrown to the ground. There was nothing unfair about the foul calls.

Classic mark Kellogg coached team. His teams were like that at SFA. He’s tied with someone else for the most Ts I had to give to a coach lol.

But Iowa is getting cooked on social media because Clark did a lot of fouling herself and got away with it. Also most people are finding they don’t like Clark’s antics, which I applaud what her dad did the other day and told her to shut up doing the game,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fan Duel lines are out: 

2 ND -2.5 over 3 Oregon State - Friday 1:30pm
1 SC -15.5 over 4 Indiana - Friday 4pm
2 Stanford -5.5 over 3 NCST - Friday 6:30pm
1 Texas -5.5 over 4 Gonzaga - Friday 9pm

3 LSU -1.5 over 2 UCLA - Saturday noon
1 Iowa -8.5 over 5 Colorado - Saturday 2:30pm
1 USC -4.5 over 5 Baylor - Saturday 4:30pm
3 UConn -9.5 over 7 Duke - Saturday 7pm

Albany 1 and Portland 4 are the only two regionals that 1-4 advanced.  Portland 3 was the "chaos" region - 1, 3, 5, 7

20 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Maybe that is for the Naismith woman coach of the year.

We were left for dead, and Vic got us to a one seed. That is superior coaching. WTF.

ha ha.  all the 1 seeds except for Vic(and putting in Vanderwhatever) who had the biggest injury to overcome.  they couldn't be more transparent if they tried.

complete travesty.  of course I hope Vic wins it all but it would really be nice icing on the cake to have this be a VY/Bush Heisman moment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
No. 1 seed Texas (32-4, 14-4 Big 12) vs.
No. 4 seed Gonzaga (32-3, 16-0 WCC)

Friday, March 29 at 9:00 PM CT
Moda Center | Portland, Oregon
TELEVISION: The game will be nationally televised on ESPN. Courtney Lyle (pxp), Carolyn Peck (analyst) and Brooke Weisbrod (reporter) will call the action.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM, along with the web streams on TexasSports.com and the Longhorn App. Craig Way and Eryn McMahan will have the call.
• HOW SWEET IT IS: For the 18th time in program history the Longhorns are going to the Sweet 16. Texas advanced with a 65-54 win over Alabama in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Texas held Alabama well under their 73.7 point per game season scoring average.
• 32 WINS: With the win over Alabama Texas notched their 32nd win of the season, which represents their most in a season since the 1987-88 season.
Kaylynne Truong: 11.6 PTS, 2.4 REB, 5.8 AST, 1.3 STL, 0.0 BLK
Kayleigh Truong: 12.3 PTS, 2.4 REB, 4.5 AST, 1.4 STL, 0.1 BLK
Brynna Maxwell: 14.2 PTS, 2.9 REB, 0.9 AST, 0.9 STL, 0.3 BLK
Gonzaga Key Stats
The Bulldogs are the 10th-best team in college basketball in points scored (80.9 per game) and 76th in points allowed (60.1).
Gonzaga is 85th in the country in rebounds per game (38.6) and second-best in rebounds allowed (29.4).
In 2023-24 the Bulldogs are seventh-best in the nation in 3-point makes (9.5 per game), and best in 3-point percentage (40.1%).
Gonzaga attempts 38.5% percent of its shots from beyond the arc, and 61.5% percent from inside it. In terms of makes, 31.9% of Gonzaga's baskets are 3-pointers, and 68.1% are 2-pointers.

Gonzaga Regular Season
@ Montana               W 83-70
@ 24 Washington St L 77-72
vs Toledo                 W 91-70
vs North Florida      W 83-55
vs Wyoming            W 80-64
vs Liberty                W 102-59
vs Alabama             W 68-58

vs20 Louisville        L 81-70
@ E Washington     W 82-80
vs 3 Stanford          W 96-78 **
@ California            W 78-70
@ Rice                    W 80-72
vs S Dakota St       W 83-58
vs Arizona              W 81-69
vs New Mexico      W 67-56
@ Portland             W 74-53
vs Santa Clara        W 87-49
vs San Diego          W 85-67
@ LMU                    W 72-48
vs Saint Mary's      W 89-60
@ Santa Clara       W 82-45
@ San Francisco    W 73-54
@ San Diego         W 80-52
vs Pacific              W 104-39
vs Pepperdine      W 83-46
vs LMU                 W 71-47
@ Saint Mary's     W 96-68

@ Pacific               W 91-78
vs San Francisco   W 74-48
@ Pepperdine       W 75-41
vs Portland           W 90-40
vs Pacific              W 72-61

vs Portland           L 67-66

vs 1 Texas       3/29 9:00 pm ESPN

• Hook 'Em 1

Outside of running Gonzaga off the 3 point line, the key is if they do hit some 3s do not think you have to respond by shooting 3s on the other end. Gonzaga is small compared to us and like Alabama we need to make this a war inside the paint on the offensive end. 

K. Trong (5'8) vs Booker (6'1)

K. Trong (5'9) vs Gonzales (5'10)

Maxwell (6'0) vs Holle (6'0). There will also be a huge size advantage here when Muhammad plays at 6'4.

Ejim (6'1) vs Moore (6'1)

Hollingsworth (6'3) vs Jones (6'4). This is a bit deceptive too because Hollingsworth is more of a stretch big than one that likes to bang inside. 

I think Gonzaga will have issues guarding Booker because their guards are giving up 3+ inches on her. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hollingsworth (6'3) vs Jones (6'4). This is a bit deceptive too because Hollingsworth is more of a stretch big than one that likes to bang inside. 

That is where Gaston probably plays a bit more than Jones because Jones has issues guarding out to the three point line. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That is where Gaston probably plays a bit more than Jones because Jones has issues guarding out to the three point line. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we go really big until Gonzaga shows they are willing to drive the ball. 

More length makes it difficult to shoot over. At times, Gonzaga is completely reliant on the 3. If they aren't going to take our bigs off the dribble then more length might be the play. 

2024 WBB coaches in the SEC:

• Kristy Curry
  • Johnnie Harris
  • Katie Abrahamson-Henderson
  • Kenny Brooks
  • Kim Mulkey
  • Dawn Staley
  • Vic Schaefer
  • Jennie Baranczyk
  • Sam Purcell
  • Yo McPhee-McCuin
  • Shae Ralph

SEC WBB is stacked with Brooks moving from VT to Kentucky

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

West Virginia did nothing but foul all game and dare the refs to call it. Clark was literally bleeding from her leg at one point. Every rebound had people being thrown to the ground. There was nothing unfair about the foul calls.

While I don't disagree that WV guards were active and physical, I don't believe the two teams received the same whistle, particularly on drives to the basket after the game was tied with a couple of minutes left. As mentioned, Clark also was playing physically and got away with several push offs. Also late in the game, a WV player was called for a foul on a rebound and the officials reviewed it for an upgrade for a hook and hold. Unfortunately for the refs, it was the Iowa player who committed the hook and hold so they stuck with a common foul against WV player. Bad.

I am a neutral observer who has enjoyed watching Clark these last two years, but I want evenly-called authentic competition, not a pre-determined narrative.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

The Utah boards are also saying there were all types of logistical nightmares even getting to the arena. It sounds like they had to deal with a lot of shit. 

So Gonzaga is trying to host, in Spokane, the same weekend it’s a site for NCAA men’s tournament. No hotels for Utah, so they had to stay in Coeur d’Alene, which is fucking white supremacist haven, and 40 min from Spokane. Plus traffic from the men’s games, which were less than 2 miles away from campus.

Gonzaga knew it was likely to host, so the NCAA should have set aside enough rooms for 4 women’s teams + the men’s teams coming to town. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did GU host in coer dlane for some reason?

nm read the above post. 

It was just poor planning by the NCAA and Gonzaga (as the host institution) not to have enough hotel rooms booked for 8 total teams over one weekend.