Starfield

NoName

On 9/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, Buzzrock said:

This is a good tip. That rifle is great for taking down humans in a couple of shots. Much better than the Grendel which appears to shoot frozen peas as many shots as it takes to kill someone.

That gun was my best overall gun for 15 character levels or so.  I used other stuff situationally but that gun is good close and at range and the ammo is cheap and everywhere.

I am like L39 and I just wrapped up one of the faction quest lines and found a completely sick and OP rifle called Revenant.  It has trivialized combat even cranked up to very hard.  The only real bottleneck would potentially be ammo but you can give a gun to your buddy with just 1 round of the correct ammo and they never run out of ammo...and while you can't tell them what gun to use you can make them use what you want by just giving them 1 gun.  They seem to default to using the highest value gun they have on them, assuming it has ammo, even though they might have a different specialty and I am pretty sure this is the highest value gun I have found.

Also if anyone cares, on the topic of weapons, each weapon has a base model and then four other levels where the stats of the weapon improve at each rank.  These are indicated by Calibrated, Refined, Advanced, Superior.  There is no way to change a weapon's level (AFAIK).

The color of the weapon's name is tied to rarity which adds 1-3 additional properties depending on whether it's blue, purple or orange and will also change the name of the gun based on the rarity bonuses it has.  There is, again AFAIK, no way to change a weapon's rarity or the bonus properties it has.

What you can change, on everything, are the mods.  Weapon mods are pretty great in the game and each weapon has fixed mod slots with different mods available for different weapons.  You need all 4 ranks of weapon engineering and then 1 rank of special projects or something like that to unlock all mods.  Some weapons have.

I don't think you can mod melee but I don't melee.  Also you can rename any gun at a weapon bench if that is your thing.  Finally, weapon modding does use a ton of different crafting junk.  I mule all my crafting shit to the chest in the Lodge that has all the work benches.  It has an unlimited capacity and when I want to mod something I just fast travel there, grab all the shit in the chest, mod away, then put all crafting mats back in the chest.  Multiple times I found out I was short on things and had to put together a grocery list and hop around New Atlantis, Akila City, etc.  So if that annoys you then gun modding isn't for you.  I would google what you need and it is always for sale someplace.  

I'm not completely sure how the 'named' weapons (unique stuff only available in certain spots or from specific quests) work but I think despite their names, behind the names they work on the same systems above, just 'hidden' behind the names.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hozz said:

That gun was my best overall gun for 15 character levels or so.  I used other stuff situationally but that gun is good close and at range and the ammo is cheap and everywhere.

I am like L39 and I just wrapped up one of the faction quest lines and found a completely sick and OP rifle called Revenant.  It has trivialized combat even cranked up to very hard.  The only real bottleneck would potentially be ammo but you can give a gun to your buddy with just 1 round of the correct ammo and they never run out of ammo...and while you can't tell them what gun to use you can make them use what you want by just giving them 1 gun.  They seem to default to using the highest value gun they have on them, assuming it has ammo, even though they might have a different specialty and I am pretty sure this is the highest value gun I have found.

Also if anyone cares, on the topic of weapons, each weapon has a base model and then four other levels where the stats of the weapon improve at each rank.  These are indicated by Calibrated, Refined, Advanced, Superior.  There is no way to change a weapon's level (AFAIK).

The color of the weapon's name is tied to rarity which adds 1-3 additional properties depending on whether it's blue, purple or orange and will also change the name of the gun based on the rarity bonuses it has.  There is, again AFAIK, no way to change a weapon's rarity or the bonus properties it has.

What you can change, on everything, are the mods.  Weapon mods are pretty great in the game and each weapon has fixed mod slots with different mods available for different weapons.  You need all 4 ranks of weapon engineering and then 1 rank of special projects or something like that to unlock all mods.  Some weapons have.

I don't think you can mod melee but I don't melee.  Also you can rename any gun at a weapon bench if that is your thing.  Finally, weapon modding does use a ton of different crafting junk.  I mule all my crafting shit to the chest in the Lodge that has all the work benches.  It has an unlimited capacity and when I want to mod something I just fast travel there, grab all the shit in the chest, mod away, then put all crafting mats back in the chest.  Multiple times I found out I was short on things and had to put together a grocery list and hop around New Atlantis, Akila City, etc.  So if that annoys you then gun modding isn't for you.  I would google what you need and it is always for sale someplace.  

I'm not completely sure how the 'named' weapons (unique stuff only available in certain spots or from specific quests) work but I think despite their names, behind the names they work on the same systems above, just 'hidden' behind the names.

hey, good news, you can tell them what to use and wear - you go to their inventory then click Y on the item to "equip" it. they do have to have 1 round to use.

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

hey, good news, you can tell them what to use and wear - you go to their inventory then click Y on the item to "equip" it. they do have to have 1 round to use.

Very nice, I was not even sure if they were using the suits/packs/helmets I gave them.  I would just notice what gun they equipped because there was a little mark in the upper left corner of the weapon.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was able to get quite a bit of time in on the game last weekend and am up to level 17 on my character. I'm loving the game. I really liked Skyrim but was lukewarm on FO4, but this one really scratches me where I itch. 

I got an explosive Pacifier early on which is far and away my best close range weapon. I've been using a modified Drumbeat for longer/mid range fights and it's great, but the 11mm ammo is expensive af and the Drumbeat is a gas guzzler. I have yet to find a decent long range weapon even though I got a gold Lawgiver very early. They just don't do enough damage to warrant taking the time to engage at long range.

I think the next thing I focus on is getting a better ship with a lot more cargo space. It looks like the Kepler R is one of the best ships you can get early on so I think I'm going to pester Walter until I can get it. https://www.dualshockers.com/starfield-best-early-ships-ranked/#the-star-eagle

I built one outpost just so I could build storage crates and put all of the resources I've been hoarding in there, but I've barely scratched the surface of this part of the game.

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but there's a glitch in Akila City where you stare at a puddle in front of the main shop in town and it gives you access to the entire inventory of that shop. A little skeezy, but it's a way to get 5,000 credits every 48 hours or so along with a ton of other guns/resources/loot that can be sold. It also gives med packs and ship parts which always seem to be in short supply.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

I was able to get quite a bit of time in on the game last weekend and am up to level 17 on my character. I'm loving the game. I really liked Skyrim but was lukewarm on FO4, but this one really scratches me where I itch. 

I got an explosive Pacifier early on which is far and away my best close range weapon. I've been using a modified Drumbeat for longer/mid range fights and it's great, but the 11mm ammo is expensive af and the Drumbeat is a gas guzzler. I have yet to find a decent long range weapon even though I got a gold Lawgiver very early. They just don't do enough damage to warrant taking the time to engage at long range.

I think the next thing I focus on is getting a better ship with a lot more cargo space. It looks like the Kepler R is one of the best ships you can get early on so I think I'm going to pester Walter until I can get it. https://www.dualshockers.com/starfield-best-early-ships-ranked/#the-star-eagle

I built one outpost just so I could build storage crates and put all of the resources I've been hoarding in there, but I've barely scratched the surface of this part of the game.

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but there's a glitch in Akila City where you stare at a puddle in front of the main shop in town and it gives you access to the entire inventory of that shop. A little skeezy, but it's a way to get 5,000 credits every 48 hours or so along with a ton of other guns/resources/loot that can be sold. It also gives med packs and ship parts which always seem to be in short supply.

the solution to this is to keep an eye out for semi auto versions of the weapon you like. makes a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE difference vs being a bullet hose.

i think there are 3 different chests you can get in akila that are like that, i've only done the first one

spoiler in case you don't want to know but saw someone (youtube?) talk about what to look for in a "daily driver" gun

Spoiler

basically you want something that is going to have general ammo available to pick up from mobs (grendle or malestrom - i like grendel) that has armor piercing and semi auto

another spoiler for longer range weapon that can rock with right perks

Spoiler

i got a rando dropped beowulf that's very good perk wise and that i have mod'd to hell. i'm sure there are better weapons out there but very happy with this one right now.

re: ships, another spoiler for those who don't want to know. you can get decent ones this way

Spoiler

go to a random barren moon and and there is some glitch where ships just keep dropping on you that you can take. i did this for a little while and ended up with one that is shit right now but has a ton of cargo and i'll just mod it. i haven't done the mission you talk about but i haven't really done much mainline missions.

light faction reward spoiler

Spoiler

there are other options ship wise if you go through certain faction missions

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

the solution to this is to keep an eye out for semi auto versions of the weapon you like. makes a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE difference vs being a bullet hose.

i think there are 3 different chests you can get in akila that are like that, i've only done the first one

spoiler in case you don't want to know but saw someone (youtube?) talk about what to look for in a "daily driver" gun

Hide contents

basically you want something that is going to have general ammo available to pick up from mobs (grendle or malestrom - i like grendel) that has armor piercing and semi auto

another spoiler for longer range weapon that can rock with right perks

Hide contents

i got a rando dropped beowulf that's very good perk wise and that i have mod'd to hell. i'm sure there are better weapons out there but very happy with this one right now.

re: ships, another spoiler for those who don't want to know. you can get decent ones this way

Hide contents

go to a random barren moon and and there is some glitch where ships just keep dropping on you that you can take. i did this for a little while and ended up with one that is shit right now but has a ton of cargo and i'll just mod it. i haven't done the mission you talk about but i haven't really done much mainline missions.

light faction reward spoiler

Hide contents

there are other options ship wise if you go through certain faction missions

I carry a mod'd maelstrom that has white heat ammo that catches targets on fire and continues to eat at them. I've always got ammo for it and never have to buy it. It takes a ton of ammo to take out higher level targets though. I've been building out the ballistics skill tree to help with this some too.

There's another good ship that's available to buy in Akila after doing the Freestar quests. I've done quite a few of those already but would rather burgle/be given a good ship if at all possible. Good looks on the other ideas.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Anyone else spend an unreasonable amount of time and credits tinkering with their ship?

image.thumb.png.5d9540faf0d5cf4daeed9bf0c606bd2b.png

it's too hard to figure out for me on console and i'm lazy.

i want to add shit to my ship but it's not clear what is and isn't happening...added auto turrets to my ship and they don't fire? wut?

1 hour ago, NoName said:

it's too hard to figure out for me on console and i'm lazy.

i want to add shit to my ship but it's not clear what is and isn't happening...added auto turrets to my ship and they don't fire? wut?

Yeah I imagine the ship builder would be very annoying on console.

I put auto turrets on one time and they worked for me, but I went back to manual firing ones, they're just not that good.

16 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Anyone else spend an unreasonable amount of time and credits tinkering with their ship?

image.thumb.png.5d9540faf0d5cf4daeed9bf0c606bd2b.png

That's hot.

I'm not at a high enough level yet to be able to improve my current rig. This is a pic from the internet and not my actual ship, but I'm level 24 or so and got this earlier this week for completing the Rangers quest line.

star-eagle-ship-in-starfield.jpg

I joined the fleet and have been messing around with those the last few days. I'm still really enjoying the game. I did read that you keep all of your unlocked skills when you start a 2nd play through and I've thought about just racing through the main quest to start back over and unlock more skills quicker. I think you lose all ships/weapons/outposts, etc, so it might be worth starting over once before digging into all of that?

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s tedious because you have to build/upgrade ships to unlock skills to use better modules.

You can just swap with the cheapest stuff to get it done, but I couldn’t help myself. Still waiting to even get to Class B stuff.

So it's Trade Wars 2002 with pretty graphics?  May have to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m still hooked. There are some interesting things that happen on NG+ 2, 3, etc. The most boring and repetitive part to me is up-leveling the powers at the temples. I don’t really use them anyway and I can’t imagine doing that 240 times to get them all the level 10. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...