Starfield

NoName

since there wasn't a thread specifically for this thought i would start one

When can I play Starfield early access?

Here’s how that breaks down:

• On September 1, assuming you bought one of the special editions or upgraded your copy, you can start playing Starfield at 12:00 UTC. (Click here to convert to your time.)
  • For those with early access who are currently living in the United States, Canada, or South America, that actually means you’ll be able to play on August 31. In California, players will be able to start exploring Starfield as early as 5:00 p.m. PDT.
  • On September 6, Standard edition owners or Game Pass subscribers can start playing at 12:00 UTC. (Click here to convert to your time.)
  • And because of timezones, if you live in the United States, Canada, or South America, you’ll be able to start playing on September 5. As before, Californian players can start as early as 5:00 p.m. PDT.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/3h1TjGoUfi3nthncK1jo15/starfield-launch-details-pc-specs-and-more?linkId=100000215350740

release tiems:

Starfield-Global-Release-Times-4K.jpg

SKU info:

starfield_sku_plan_updated-en-03.jpg

Edited by NoName

there is going to be a LOT of content that drops today at 11a when the embargo drops. i will share some links but will spoiler everything link wise just in case.

if you want to go in on this blind, don't click these obviously...

if you want to poke around with a character builder: https://nukesdragons.com/starfield/

here is the underlying information that leaked in the last few days, in a pretty PDF: https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:VA6C2:92839905-8997-4e99-bad2-d398c33b761a

From Reddit:

From the reviews, it seems that the score from any given reviewer is contingent entirely on how willing the reviewer was willing to forgive the slow start. Reviewers that were frustrated by the slow start gave it scores in the 7-8 range. Reviewers that didn't mind the slow start gave it scores in the 9-10 range.

It apparently takes like 10-12 hours to “get going”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

From Reddit:

From the reviews, it seems that the score from any given reviewer is contingent entirely on how willing the reviewer was willing to forgive the slow start. Reviewers that were frustrated by the slow start gave it scores in the 7-8 range. Reviewers that didn't mind the slow start gave it scores in the 9-10 range.

It apparently takes like 10-12 hours to “get going”.

Why the fuck would you play this game if you aren't committed to sinking considerably more than that into it?

I played it for about 5 hours yesterday and still haven't got around to fighting the first boss guy to get off the planet. It seems to be a slow burn from a progression standpoint and the fact that I can essentially fast travel anywhere seems a bit odd, but im having a blast.

Biggest issue I have had is that since I am still just fucking around on the first planet, ammo is in short supply and there is a level 10 alien that keeps kicking my level 3 ass without a ton of ammo...

Loot tetris is still a thing with a bunch of time being spent running back to the ship to drop off random stuff. I have pretty much researched everything I can, but am still soft-locked from crafting.. might just have to say fuck it and fight the crimson fleet guys and move off world to progress more. I am enjoying trying to completely scout and explore all the points of interest on the first world before doing so, but I might need to move on and come back.

I found an abandoned mine and explored it and need to kill some raiders attacking a building site. Found a geological formation that has a lvl 10 alien that kicks my ass...

Biggest performance issue I have is some stuttering sometimes in cutscenes, but that might be my fault due to settings and needing to restart my machine after I downloaded my new drivers.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

I played it for about 5 hours yesterday and still haven't got around to fighting the first boss guy to get off the planet. It seems to be a slow burn from a progression standpoint and the fact that I can essentially fast travel anywhere seems a bit odd, but im having a blast.

Biggest issue I have had is that since I am still just fucking around on the first planet, ammo is in short supply and there is a level 10 alien that keeps kicking my level 3 ass without a ton of ammo...

Loot tetris is still a thing with a bunch of time being spent running back to the ship to drop off random stuff. I have pretty much researched everything I can, but am still soft-locked from crafting.. might just have to say fuck it and fight the crimson fleet guys and move off world to progress more. I am enjoying trying to completely scout and explore all the points of interest on the first world before doing so, but I might need to move on and come back.

I found an abandoned mine and explored it and need to kill some raiders attacking a building site. Found a geological formation that has a lvl 10 alien that kicks my ass...

Biggest performance issue I have is some stuttering sometimes in cutscenes, but that might be my fault due to settings and needing to restart my machine after I downloaded my new drivers.

re: Fast Travel - it's this games version of exiting a cave or the vault door opening. you are out there and can do whatever.

after hearing some podcasts about it, i think it's going to make sense to beeline some of the main story quest and open things up before screwing around with side quests and exploring.

im ~2 hours in and my only issue is the first companion you have is having weird visual issues - nothing else. they move around but the animation gets stuck sometimes? i saw this on one of the streams from yesterday too so not unique to me. but outside that the level of jank that hasn't been there seems positive.

the ammo issue is a problem, but wonder how much of that is tied to being this early?

Is there a way to use the same license on pc and Xbox? I can't decide which platform I want to buy it for. 

I think that's what the play anywhere thing is but I'm not sure. Does that work with steam or is there a special Microsoft launcher you have to use? 

Edited by seven

Not sure, but there is a PC XBox App, that's how I do Gamepass PC titles.

And most everything I've tried on Gamepass swaps between the console and PC no problem.

I've even been playing something on the PC while my daughter played something else on XBox and one of her achievements popped up on my screen on the PC.

14 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ok, so I love every fallout since 3 (all of the ones I’ve played), I love Skyrim, I have very little gaming time these days, this year I’ve done revisits of fallout 3 and new vegas and that’s it. Is this a game for me?

Ice Cube What GIF

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Ok, so I love every fallout since 3 (all of the ones I’ve played), I love Skyrim, I have very little gaming time these days, this year I’ve done revisits of fallout 3 and new vegas and that’s it. Is this a game for me?

Uhhh, yes.

Also I couldn't wait until Wednesday so I upgraded and played about 5 hours. I've done 0 main mission stuff since getting to New Atlantis and I'm still have a good time.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Uhhh, yes.

Also I couldn't wait until Wednesday so I upgraded and played about 5 hours. I've done 0 main mission stuff since getting to New Atlantis and I'm still have a good time.

Thanks, yeah seems like it would be I just wasn’t even really aware of it until I started seeing a whole bunch of stuff about it.

I'm almost done with BG3, really looking forward to playing this

On a related note, I'm also excited to get Moonlight set up to stream my PC to my TV and get full PC power without moving the damn thing around. If you've got a gaming PC, a nice TV, and good network connectivity between them I'd strongly recommend it!

42 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm almost done with BG3, really looking forward to playing this

On a related note, I'm also excited to get Moonlight set up to stream my PC to my TV and get full PC power without moving the damn thing around. If you've got a gaming PC, a nice TV, and good network connectivity between them I'd strongly recommend it!

I use Greenlight to stream my XBox to Steamdeck for Starfield and it works like a charm. 

On Starfield, I haven't done any of the mainline missions after getting to New Atlantis as the UC Vanguard mission line is too good to stop (16 hours in the game total). 

Edited by SimonBolivar

I don’t have a PC and haven’t upgraded to the Series X but I played this on the Cloud Gaming platform for a few hours tonight and it was fun. I suck at the combat (but I’ve always sucked at using a game controller for FPS). I kind of feel like I don’t know what I’m doing but it’s fun anyway. Can you store stuff somewhere on your ship? Can you sell all your extra stuff at that little trade kiosk thing? Also I can’t figure out how to read the weapon and equipment stats. Is DMG damage? If so I can’t figure out why a pistol does way more damage than a rifle.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t have a PC and haven’t upgraded to the Series X but I played this on the Cloud Gaming platform for a few hours tonight and it was fun. I suck at the combat (but I’ve always sucked at using a game controller for FPS). I kind of feel like I don’t know what I’m doing but it’s fun anyway. Can you store stuff somewhere on your ship? Can you sell all your extra stuff at that little trade kiosk thing? Also I can’t figure out how to read the weapon and equipment stats. Is DMG damage? If so I can’t figure out why a pistol does way more damage than a rifle.

i will say the onboarding/tutorial in this game is NOT GREAT.

you can sell your stuff at the trade authority kiosk there.

on the ship, you have the captains locker to the right of the cockpit you can use (its on the floor i think) and the ships hold on the left on the wall, straight across from the locker.

DMG is damage, but things like rate of fire and perks do matter to overall damage

• Like 1

That main theme song is an ear worm ain’t it? Very Star Trek.

So far I think this game delivers. I’ve had to look some things up to figure out some game mechanics and a little bit of what-do-I-do next, but the scale is amazing. I get a little Half-Life vibes from the character interactions, and even though I’m sure the Cloud visual detail is greatly reduced it’s still pretty good. No real issue with the controls either. I still might end up upgrading the Xbox.

Can’t believe it’s included in Game Pass. Good timing too, Diablo IV was getting boring.

I’m about 20hrs in and the game is opening up so well. I’m loving every minute of it. I love Bethesda and all their quirks. I’ve done enough main story to have some significant things unlocked, but I am having a blast doing the other one million things to do. I did run into a bugged quest though- hopefully it’s patched up soon because I am kind of stuck in this factions quests til it is.

Quest: On the Run.

14 hours ago, Constant said:

I’m about 20hrs in and the game is opening up so well. I’m loving every minute of it. I love Bethesda and all their quirks. I’ve done enough main story to have some significant things unlocked, but I am having a blast doing the other one million things to do. I did run into a bugged quest though- hopefully it’s patched up soon because I am kind of stuck in this factions quests til it is.

Quest: On the Run.

this is about where i am time wise. time to screw around in the universe and have fun.

11 hours ago, Capn81 said:

Two things. One, the POV is killing me so I am having to use 3rd person which I am not a fan of. Two, I can never find any damn ammo that I need.

Overall, I am enjoying the game though.

re: ammo - saw a video that talked about basically having a "daily driver" for a weapon. for me it ended up being a grendal that is silenced and has some other perks on it. he recommended looking at modified grendals for one that is semi automatic, which seems awesome. i've burned through SO MUCH AMMO with this one being basically a silenced zip gun.

i also am just buying ammo for what i use at every vendor that has it when selling stuff.

Edited by NoName

The gun shop in the residential area of New Atlantis sells a fantastic blue 11mm rifle.  It is pricey but I am the type that does all the quests and I was able to buy it and loads of 11mm ammo before I left the planet on the main quest line.  There is also a mini gun you can steal fairly easily from the UC Surplus shop in the Well.  It runs 7.7mm baseless which seems more common than 11mm but it burns through ammo, being a mini gun and all.

• Like 1

The gun shop in the residential area of New Atlantis sells a fantastic blue 11mm rifle.  It is pricey but I am the type that does all the quests and I was able to buy it and loads of 11mm ammo before I left the planet on the main quest line.  There is also a mini gun you can steal fairly easily from the UC Surplus shop in the Well.  It runs 7.7mm baseless which seems more common than 11mm but it burns through ammo, being a mini gun and all.

This is a good tip. That rifle is great for taking down humans in a couple of shots. Much better than the Grendel which appears to shoot frozen peas as many shots as it takes to kill someone.

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Crafting seems too complicated. I never have all the ingredients that are needed to upgrade weapons, etc. I’d have to start a spreadsheet and then figure out where to get it all. Is it me?

Yeah I am level 15 and crafting, outposts and ship building are unlocked but have yet to be explained and seem like a nightmare with how many resources and parts there are.  Also the whole base/outpost concept...I hated it in FO4.  Is it better here?