Champions League 69!! (2023-24 edition)

Captain Ron

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Hey look the lifelong RM fans show up only when they lead/win. Speed should be here anytime now. 

Give me a break I’m a Houston sports fan, if I wanted to hate life even more I’d choose the Spurs :)

Edited by Macklemore

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Hey look the lifelong RM fans show up only when they lead/win. Speed should be here anytime now. 

1 minute ago, Speedtrucker said:

Where magic happens daily!

Hala Madrid!!!

happy kat dennings GIF

• Haha 1

Hah I’ve been a fan since I was forced to watch soccer in the early mornings.

I’m the only remaining original shaggy poster. Don’t know whatever happened to jnip but he was also a manc fan so meh

And I should add a lot of times I’m streaming the game on my phone so I just post at the start/half or end of a win.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Speedtrucker said:

Hah I’ve been a fan since I was forced to watch soccer in the early mornings.

I’m the only remaining original shaggy poster. Don’t know whatever happened to jnip but he was also a manc fan so meh

JNip made an appearance recently after a long absence. Good to see him back.

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Btw - this isn’t about being RM fans, this is about never posting here until the closing moments of wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Has to make him extra bitter to watch 2 goals scored on his team while on the bench because his dipshit manager subbed him off early. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Btw - this isn’t about being RM fans, this is about never posting here until the closing moments of wins. 

I just know most of yall are epl fans or most root against Madrid for obvious reasons.

I’m not too big on stirring the pot except when Barca is involved.

I can be more present and be a real evil empire type of ass here if yall would like. lol

51 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Carlo is the European 🐐 

100%. Nil-nil, then down 1-nil with 5 mins left, before going up 2-1 with two stoppage time goals…. His expression never changed. Dude has ice water in his veins. 

9 minutes ago, Dutch said:

100%. Nil-nil, then down 1-nil with 5 mins left, before going up 2-1 with two stoppage time goals…. His expression never changed. Dude has ice water in his veins. 

they scored 2 goals with a 33 year old striker they got off the scrap heap for nothing (he has 18 goals for them this year). 

On 5/1/2024 at 6:00 PM, Captain Ron said:

Dortmund’s win secured the 5th slot for Germany in next year’s Champions League. That means Italy and Germany: 5 slots England: 4

Oh man, this is wild - so it turns out that Germany could get SIX teams in the Champions League Next year.

IF ...

Dortmund has to win the Champions League - then they would get the Champions Spot.

But they would also need to finish 5th (and only 5th for some reason) - that would boost the 6th place German team into the 5th Germany UCL spot - If Dortmund finishes 4th or better, this rule does not apply.

They noted, that because of the 5th place oddity, Eintracht Frankfurt might want to lose their last game to Leipzig, to help them maintain 4th place in the league. It's weird.

What a kick in the balls that was. A couple thoughts.

Soccer can be so cruel, and exhilarating at the same time. Neuer was outstanding, and then he wasn’t. If he catches that ball and falls to the ground and wastes about a minute that game is probably much different. The strange bounce made it hit him differently than normal. Pete, the German cousin’s boy who played D1 goalie, and I said the same thing to each other at the same time as the bounce. The defender also did not do a good job as he let the Madrid player get to the rebound.

The offside call, I don’t know what I think other than they should have let it play out and that is the reason there is VAR. It was used to confirm the Madrid goal and I think the review should have been used for Bayern. I’m not sure if that arm by the Madrid player counts as his body being in line with the Bayern player.

The substitutions by Bayern were bad. I have never thought that you should sit back and let a Spanish team maintain possession and attack, no matter how much time is on the clock.

Bayern blew it. They had it and let it go. Much credit to Madrid for doing what they do so well.

It is funny how my German family hates Bayern 99% of the time until Champions League comes around. Mike, who made his debut against Bayern, and hates them more than most, said that offside call would have made him “lose his shit”. And he added, “that’s why there is VAR”.

The dog is Bayern. The ball is the Champions League final at Wembley.

golden retriever dog GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Soccer can be so cruel, and exhilarating at the same time. Neuer was outstanding, and then he wasn’t. If he catches that ball and falls to the ground and wastes about a minute that game is probably much different. The strange bounce made it hit him differently than normal. Pete, the German cousin’s boy who played D1 goalie, and I said the same thing to each other at the same time as the bounce. The defender also did not do a good job as he let the Madrid player get to the rebound.

Dier sits up when he thinks Neuer has it and Joselu kept playing through. That split second was enough and when Joselu saw the ball, he went at it and scored. 49 out of 50 times the defense makes the play (think the attacker 5 yards down field while the defender is heading the ball away harmlessly) and you wonder "Why is that player going for a ball that the defense so obviously has?" And it's because that one time, the defense doesn't make the play and the result.

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The offside call, I don’t know what I think other than they should have let it play out and that is the reason there is VAR. It was used to confirm the Madrid goal and I think the review should have been used for Bayern. I’m not sure if that arm by the Madrid player counts as his body being in line with the Bayern player.

In the VAR era - that call CANNOT be made.

There was a play much earlier in the game, I think it was a Modric pass to Vini, where Vini was so offsides there was a gap between him and the defender - and that play was let go. This call was tighter.

And when you see the replays - appears to be wrong (spoilered because the screen shots are large):

Spoiler

40 - Mazraoui
4 - de Ligt

Before the VAR review line, so you can see the players

ScreenShot2024-05-09at9_36_04AM.thumb.png.5ba6ec62b294a52031da6abb4c82657a.png

And then with the line that determines, Mazraoui is completely onside

ScreenShot2024-05-09at9_36_07AM.thumb.png.9c7b5fcc550839659472eeac5605c428.png

The ball goes toward Mazraoui and Mendy heads it away (23).

I will say - that goal may or may not have happened because the Madrid defenders sit up once the whistle goes and that's why de Ligt scores. But that play cannot be stopped there and it should have been played on.

But I agree, Bayern blew it. The decisions by Tuchel blew that game. Kill them until they are dead. No half measures. Instead ...

• Hook 'Em 2

Correct outcome, bad job by the AR and ref there.

Deligt looked offside by his head, shoulder and leg. He didn’t stop playing, he continued his run and then dropped into a pocket waiting on a pass. That’s offsides. If he stops and stands there as that early cross came in, more argument could be made.

In the end, that shoulda been allowed to play out half the Madrid defenders wouldn’t have quit on the whistle and if it still was scored VAR is allowed to do its job post-goal. Just like Joselu’s first goal.

Also I didn’t comment yesterday but the subs both Manc and Bayern made at the end of both matchups have been head scratching. Madrid subs more def and attack even when trailing but both were content to remove all attack and try and sit on narrow leads against Madrid in a knockout game in champions league.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Correct outcome, bad job by the AR and ref there.

Deligt looked offside by his head, shoulder and leg. He didn’t stop playing, he continued his run and then dropped into a pocket waiting on a pass. That’s offsides. If he stops and stands there as that early cross came in, more argument could be made.

In the end, that shoulda been allowed to play out half the Madrid defenders wouldn’t have quit on the whistle and if it still was scored VAR is allowed to do its job post-goal. Just like Joselu’s first goal.

Also I didn’t comment yesterday but the subs both Manc and Bayern made at the end of both matchups have been head scratching. Madrid subs more def and attack even when trailing but both were content to remove all attack and try and sit on narrow leads against Madrid in a knockout game in champions league.

No it isn't. Offsides is determined in phases of play on the ball.

The initial pass was played to Mazraoui - he was onsides. Once that play is defended - a deliberate action on the ball, a new phase begins and de Ligt is onside the rest of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

No it isn't. Offsides is determined in phases of play on the ball.
The initial pass was played to Mazraoui - he was onsides. Once that play is defended - a deliberate action on the ball, a new phase begins and de Ligt is onside the rest of the time.

It’s a deliberate play on the ball, as per the rules in that build up he calls for it, he makes 4-5 strides for the ball in the air. Rudiger sees him running and then dropping into space where Rudiger then stops and changes direction with him and begins to cover him. If he stops when the ball goes up, rudi stays with Maz.

That’s deliberate play on the ball from an offside position.

If he had stopped when the cross was made and then the header back to muller and then to him. It’s good.

But it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

It’s a deliberate play on the ball, as per the rules in that build up he calls for it, he makes 4-5 strides for the ball in the air. Rudiger sees him running and then dropping into space where Rudiger then stops and changes direction with him and begins to cover him. If he stops when the ball goes up, rudi stays with Maz.

That’s deliberate play on the ball from an offside position.

If he had stopped when the cross was made and then the header back to muller and then to him. It’s good.

But it is what it is.

image.thumb.jpeg.dd3441aca4f880ff6bcb98e27cc4a49c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dd3441aca4f880ff6bcb98e27cc4a49c.jpeg

Sure, I mean just like every Chelsea fan can recite the Barca game, arsenal fans remember Van Persie getting sent off for a weak yellow in a semi. We all view the games through some tinted color.

I concede that the ref screwed up by blowing the whistle. I haven’t heard a single pundit say that wasnt offside. But I admit I stick to American/spanish soccer sites more than German or even Brits.

I’ve been on my normal soccer sites enjoying the Barca tears though.

12 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Sure, I mean just like every Chelsea fan can recite the Barca game, arsenal fans remember Van Persie getting sent off for a weak yellow in a semi. We all view the games through some tinted color.

I concede that the ref screwed up by blowing the whistle. I haven’t heard a single pundit say that wasnt offside. But I admit I stick to American/spanish soccer sites more than German or even Brits.

I’ve been on my normal soccer sites enjoying the Barca tears though.

Watch the video - then you have. 

On 5/9/2024 at 8:16 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

The substitutions by Bayern were bad. I have never thought that you should sit back and let a Spanish team maintain possession and attack, no matter how much time is on the clock.

Bayern blew it. They had it and let it go. Much credit to Madrid for doing what they do so well.

It is funny how my German family hates Bayern 99% of the time until Champions League comes around. Mike, who made his debut against Bayern, and hates them more than most, said that offside call would have made him “lose his shit”. And he added, “that’s why there is VAR”.

The dog is Bayern. The ball is the Champions League final at Wembley.

golden retriever dog GIF

#TUCHELED

• Hook 'Em 1