Steve Harwell of Smash Mouth RIP

G650

Just as a matter of education, it appears that Steve Harwell was a hardcore alcoholic.  That means it was probably genetic as much as anything, and, while traumatic events like the loss of a child don't help matters any, they don't cause alcoholism.

While he ultimately died of liver failure, which can happen to any hard drinker, he had "wet brain" and some other things that indicate that alcohol didn't just contribute to his death, it was the proximate cause.

RIP.  That's a slow, horrible way to go.

ETA:  I don't just mean physically painful.  The guy was told that alcohol was killing him and causing him unnecessary pain.  I'm sure he tried to quit on multiple occasions and even felt the freedom of abstinence.  But he kept going back for reasons he probably couldn't explain even to himself.  That is a miserable existence.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just as a matter of education, it appears that Steve Harwell was a hardcore alcoholic.  That means it was probably genetic as much as anything, and, while traumatic events like the loss of a child don't help matters any, they don't cause alcoholism.

While he ultimately died of liver failure, which can happen to any hard drinker, he had "wet brain" and some other things that indicate that alcohol didn't just contribute to his death, it was the proximate cause.

RIP.  That's a slow, horrible way to go.

Where are you reading he had wet brain and even that he died of liver failure? Everything I've read has glossed over details. Can you link?

5 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Where are you reading he had wet brain and even that he died of liver failure? Everything I've read has glossed over details. Can you link?

I'll bet if you search the music forum, you can find vids of him drunk or stoned out of his mind attempting to sing.  I know I've seen them here.  Maybe at tos, but I think they were recent enough.  

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'll bet if you search the music forum, you can find vids of him drunk or stoned out of his mind attempting to sing.  I know I've seen them here.  Maybe at tos, but I think they were recent enough.  

That's interesting, all the usual suspects covering this have been "diplomatic" about his cause of death, let's call it. e.g. AP, People, etc.

3 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

3 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

That's interesting, all the usual suspects covering this have been "diplomatic" about his cause of death, let's call it. e.g. AP, People, etc.

it's not exactly hidden. Here's AP: https://apnews.com/article/smash-mouth-steve-harwell-obituary-868ae1aa513ce66dbf5ef0499c13261a

The band’s manager, Robert Hayes, said Harwell “passed peacefully and comfortably” Monday morning surrounded by family and friends at his home in Boise, Idaho. The cause of death was acute liver failure, Hayes said in a statement.

-----------

Harwell retired from performing and left Smash Mouth in 2021. The band continued to tour with Zach Goode as the singer. Smash Mouth released a statement at the time saying Harwell had been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy eight years earlier and had suffered “nonstop serious medical setbacks including heart failure as well as acute Wernicke Encephalopathy.”

• Rage+1 1