PFF Thread

linux

7 hours ago, linux said:

ScreenShot2023-09-04at8_39_36PM.thumb.png.12b6d879d4d5788fd92c7ed3b02333b5.png
ScreenShot2023-09-04at8_46_31PM.thumb.png.c1a50e74e34e21d1eafd19ca89ec1727.png

I hope Sark and Jackson have an ass chewing session with AD. Worst on the team in run blocking. He was 100% responsible for the failed 4th down. The Freshmen all made him look bad. That kind of effort is BS. Ironically, Casey Cain was the best but n=12 is very low in predictability. Regardless, AD better get his shit together real quick or get benched no matter how talented he may be. That's not a team effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I hope Sark and Jackson have an ass chewing session with AD. Worst on the team in run blocking. He was 100% responsible for the failed 4th down. The Freshmen all made him look bad. That kind of effort is BS. Ironically, Casey Cain was the best but n=12 is very low in predictability. Regardless, AD better get his shit together real quick or get benched no matter how talented he may be. That's not a team effort.

They talked about this one of the IT videos, I think it was with the coach. Basically Erwin said that AD was in no mans land for that block and not many if any receivers make that block due to alignment of the 9 tech. Also they're not going to bench the second best receiver on the team. 

Video is timestamped when they discuss

image.thumb.png.c532c7fe7072e8ee6ffc953ad068d970.png

Defender shoots the gap, I want to say Gunner helm fucks up the blocking assignment here and Conner getting stonewalled with no push doesn't help either.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They talked about this one of the IT videos, I think it was with the coach. Basically Erwin said that AD was in no mans land for that block and not many if any receivers make that block due to alignment of the 9 tech. Also they're not going to bench the second best receiver on the team. 

Video is timestamped when they discuss

I watched it a couple of times yesterday. AD made NO EFFORT to get in front of the defender. He just stood there and let the defender brush past him. Impossible to make that block is ridiculous. Why are you on the field in you're not even going to try to make a block? He totally whiffed on another too.

• Hook 'Em 3

"They talked about this one of the IT videos, I think it was with the coach. Basically, Erwin said that AD was in no mans land for that block and not many if any receivers make that block due to the alignment of the 9 tech. Also, they're not going to bench the second best receiver on the team."

The coach was correct in everything he said until this point.   That 9 Tech was 5'11 and 207 pounds. 

AD just needs to beat him to the spot.  This is no different than stalk blocking when split out. Except it is not a two-way go for the receiver.  I guess based on the play where he got Whittington hit for no gain it is impossible for AD.

2 minutes ago, Iguana said:

"They talked about this one of the IT videos, I think it was with the coach. Basically, Erwin said that AD was in no mans land for that block and not many if any receivers make that block due to the alignment of the 9 tech. Also, they're not going to bench the second best receiver on the team."

The coach was correct in everything he said until this point.   That 9 Tech was 5'11 and 207 pounds. 

AD just needs to beat him to the spot.  This is no different than stalk blocking when split out. Except it is not a two-way go for the receiver.  I guess based on the play where he got Whittington hit for no gain it is impossible for AD.

The defender is inside him crashing down. I am not saying Mitchell showed tremendous effort, but he is not going to get there. Expecting him to make that block is Ian Boyd like. Watching it I assumed it was a miscommunication between Helm, who touches absolutely nobody there,  and Mitchell. With him lined up inside of Mitchell, there needs to be a call there and at least get Helm to chip to give Mitchell a chance.  Another case where there are 3 blockers for 2 defenders and only 1 defender is touched. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"With him lined up inside of Mitchell, there needs to be a call there and at least get Helm to chip to give Mitchell a chance"   Good stuff.   However, if he can lunge with his shoulder and almost get him, a better effort will make the play.  He just needs to get a piece of him and the guy never makes it to the tackle.

Just now, Iguana said:

"With him lined up inside of Mitchell, there needs to be a call there and at least get Helm to chip to give Mitchell a chance"   Good stuff.   However, if he can lunge with his shoulder and almost get him, a better effort will make the play.  He just needs to get a piece of him and the guy never makes it to the tackle.

I do like the Coach's point of the RB being 7 yards deep. Not to start the age old argument, but it would love to see Ewers under center there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Iguana said:

That is exactly what he did....he chipped him a little bit. Helm blew his assignment I think.

image.thumb.png.eae51c8e9df07d7026deabecd5fa9927.png

That should have been enough for a 1st down on 4th and 1 and chance at a bigger play with the RB being 1on1 with defender at the top of the frame.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I just watched it again. AD did continue on to the LB.  You guys may be correct.  I saw poor effort over and over from him and got tired of it.  He also was dangerously close to illegal motion a couple of times.  We have a receiver coach who will most likely get his effort fixed.  AD must get this fixed to help his draft grade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Conner, Campbell, and Majors all being graded between 56 and 59 seems about right. They were all god awful. Neto played well in limited action. It would be nice to see him get more of Conner’s snaps and then let Hutson and Campbell keep battling it out for RG. 

Seemed to me like Majors didn’t have any of the egregious mental lapses in protection. Several instances of guards acting like they’d never even been introduced to the concept of passing off a rusher in their lives.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Seemed to me like Majors didn’t have any of the egregious mental lapses in protection. Several instances of guards acting like they’d never even been introduced to the concept of passing off a rusher in their lives.

Majors turned his hips multiple times which doesn't help the guards essentially leaving them on an island. He needs to be better.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Second image is unreadable on my phone

Enhance
Enhance
Enhance
Stop! It's useless

You have to click on the images, I am on desktop so it works for me after clicking it like 3 times I get the correctly scaled image where I can see all the numbers, let me see if splitting the image can work for phone and desktop.

You have to click on the images, I am on desktop so it works for me after clicking it like 3 times I get the correctly scaled image where I can see all the numbers, let me see if splitting the image can work for phone and desktop.
First image works fine with one click. Idk man, thought I was better at this stuff

Some quick takeaways:

1. The drop-off from JT to Helm is massive. The amount of people that were bitching about the offense stalling and Sark's playcalling after JT went out - not acknowledging that we had just lost one of the best TEs in the country - was astounding. 

2. Tafee can play. Just because he's white doesn't make him a weak link. Westlake produces some damn good players and we need to stay all over that pipeline.

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Anyone not named Bowers. And I wouldn’t trade Sanders for him. 

Yeah I thought it was extremely evident that he was crucial to a lot of our pass and run packages. 

I'd probably trade him for Bower but that kid is a freak - no disrespect to JT. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Yeah I thought it was extremely evident that he was crucial to a lot of our pass and run packages. 

I'd probably trade him for Bower but that kid is a freak - no disrespect to JT. 

As is Sanders.

I can’t disagree too strongly, given Bowers’ abilities, but I’d still ride with Sanders. 

I think it was one of Sarkisian’s press conferences this week when he talked about Sanders telling him he wanted to be a TE, not DL. They sent him to the sleds to start learning to block and basically built him up as a TE from there. I’ll take that kind of dedication and focus along with that talent. And the personality to tell someone, essentially, “We don’t give a fuck how you did it at Alabama. I’m the starter, not you.”

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Some quick takeaways:

1. The drop-off from JT to Helm is massive. The amount of people that were bitching about the offense stalling and Sark's playcalling after JT went out - not acknowledging that we had just lost one of the best TEs in the country - was astounding. 

2. Tafee can play. Just because he's white doesn't make him a weak link. Westlake produces some damn good players and we need to stay all over that pipeline.

Taffee can play a roll. He is smart and physical. That said you don’t want him in coverage. That is kind of the issue with the safeties. Using the Legion of Boom as an example. Texas has 3 Kam Chancelors and no Earl Thomas. The 4th guy is an athlete playing football, not an athletic football player 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Taffee can play a roll. He is smart and physical. That said you don’t want him in coverage. That is kind of the issue with the safeties. Using the Legion of Boom as an example. Texas has 3 Kam Chancelors and no Earl Thomas. The 4th guy is an athlete playing football, not an athletic football player 

I don't disagree. But the fact that we basically got him for free as a PWO and he is playing good, meaningful snaps at safety for the 3rd ranked team in the country that is sporting probably the best D so far is something.

Westlake puts out kids like that every year. Just need to figure out who is worth taking and grab them. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't disagree. But the fact that we basically got him for free as a PWO and he is playing good, meaningful snaps at safety for the 3rd ranked team in the country that is sporting probably the best D so far is something.

Westlake puts out kids like that every year. Just need to figure out who is worth taking and grab them. 

I was hoping Williams would continue to get snaps at Safety, but clearly the coaches don’t have that the level of trust yet. 

Out of curiosity, what is his speed?

I remember when Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff were sophomores. Point being, experience matters.

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Out of curiosity, what is his speed?

I remember when Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff were sophomores. Point being, experience matters.

Whose speed?  Cat, Taff, and Thompson are probably all somewhere around 4.7. Doubt any of them test well. Crawford will test well, but the instincts are not there and he is in his 4th year (only second at Safety)

Edited by Codaxx

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

@linux Is there a way to look up blitz rates defensively and how we stack up compared to other Big 12 teams/nationally?

I don't know how to get that specific, all I know is that they are claiming 160 snap/player pressures for the season, but I don't have the absolute total to divide that by, as for pass rush itself UT is #20 is their national grade.

image.thumb.png.aa72bb97140f0d1f6354034471ec567e.png

• Hook 'Em 2