Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

Details.

The Dallas Stars addressed what was arguably their biggest need Wednesday when they acquired defenseman Chris Tanev as part of a three-team trade with the Calgary Flames and the New Jersey Devils.

In total, the Stars received Tanev and the rights to University of Massachusetts prospect goaltender Cole Brady. The Flames, who will retain 50% of Tanev's salary, received prospect defenseman Artem Grushnikov from the Stars along with their 2024 second-round pick and a 2026 conditional third-round pick.

The Devils received the Stars' 2026 fourth-round pick for serving as a third-party broker that retained 50% of Tanev's salary.

The conditions of the 2026 third-round pick are that the Flames will receive that draft pick if the Stars advance to this year's Stanley Cup Final. If the Stars do not reach the Cup Final, then no additional pick is transferred from Dallas to Calgary, according to the Stars. 

This is an incredible trade.  It's like Nieuwendyk was the GM on the other end.

I've seen the baby Stars several times this year, and Grushnikov is a nothing burger.  Was trying to imagine what prospect it would take to make a trade, and couldn't get below Christian Kyrou.  Looks like we also got UMass's backup goalie.  

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

guessing he's trade bait for another deal. don't think we're done

Well, he's a senior, so from what I understand, we only have exclusive negotiating rights with him for about 2 more weeks, so he has virtually zero value.  

No idea why he was included in the trade.  It's not like Nill was going to bail if the Devils didn't offer him up (exactly like the low draft picks Nieuwendyk would always throw in on a trade).  I seriously wonder if it was a favor to someone to get this kid's name in the news.

For Stars fans, what are your REALISTIC expectations of this team this year? 

Dallas looks dangerous but Edmonton.....Vancouver....there's some talent in the West. Winnipeg doesn't do much for me, for some reason, but would be great to see some Canadian teams go deep this year. 

Can you imagine a Canucks/Leafs final. Won't happen but would be the TV event of the decade on Canadian televisions. 

11 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Dallas looks dangerous but Edmonton.....Vancouver....there's some talent in the West. Winnipeg doesn't do much for me, for some reason, but would be great to see some Canadian teams go deep this year. 

Can you imagine a Canucks/Leafs final. Won't happen but would be the TV event of the decade on Canadian televisions. 

I'm in the "get in the dance and see what happens" camp. 

16 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

it's now or never, honestly. Benn and Segs are in their usefulness twilight and clearly the pipeline is humming. If Benn is going to win a cup with the C on his chest in Dallas, this is probably the season. We're set up for it, now we just gotta do it.

54 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's now or never, honestly. Benn and Segs are in their usefulness twilight and clearly the pipeline is humming. If Benn is going to win a cup with the C on his chest in Dallas, this is probably the season. We're set up for it, now we just gotta do it.

Think there is still a solid multi-year window regardless of those contracts.  But the Tanev trade makes this year an actual possibility to the extent things mesh as expected.  Obviously probably in a better position to answer this question at the end of the regular season. We all know anything can happen in the playoffs (see Boston upset last year), but with the playoff format, winning your division certainly helps your odds significantly.  Last night was pretty big for those chances as if we would have lost in regulation, the math starts getting difficult with not much room for error.  But now we have the hardest stretch of the season behind us, trade help on the way, and the next to easiest schedule in the league remaining.  Win the games you should and you would think in a good position heading into playing both Avs and Jets last week or so of season.  Also closing out with 4 at home is nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Think there is still a solid multi-year window regardless of those contracts.  But the Tanev trade makes this year an actual possibility to the extent things mesh as expected.  Obviously probably in a better position to answer this question at the end of the regular season. We all know anything can happen in the playoffs (see Boston upset last year), but with the playoff format, winning your division certainly helps your odds significantly.  Last night was pretty big for those chances as if we would have lost in regulation, the math starts getting difficult with not much room for error.  But now we have the hardest stretch of the season behind us, trade help on the way, and the next to easiest schedule in the league remaining.  Win the games you should and you would think in a good position heading into playing both Avs and Jets last week or so of season.  Also closing out with 4 at home is nice. 

I didn't mean to imply that this is out only year, but I certainly feel like we're set up to go deep this season. We shall see!

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Stank sent back down.  :(

Is this just cap bullshit?

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:

He’s just not putting any pucks in the net.

Seriously no idea on that.

just paper transactions to save salary cap. he didn't go anywhere. he's back in the lineup tonight

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I’m here, bitches. You’re welcome.

I can’t quite explain it but these Sharks uniforms really bother my eyes. I keep thinking something is up with the tv because those colors are so shitty.

The backup UMass goalie explained:

The Devils had to trade a player rather than "future considerations" in the deal, so they sent unsigned goalie prospect Cole Brady to the Flames for Tanev, and then the Flames traded Brady to the Stars to complete the three-way deal.

His rights expire this summer, making this just a name to satisfy a requirement and probably not much more.

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Calgary picks up Hans off waivers.  He gone. Also, Tanny's flight has been delayed to San Jose so uncertain if he will dress.  Fucking joke. 

Hanley will be missed, but it had to happen

Looks like Tanev made it!

also this feels vaguely Reservoir Dogs to me

• Hook 'Em 1

Hanley will be missed, but it had to happen

Looks like Tanev made it!
also this feels vaguely Reservoir Dogs to me

lol on the reference.

Didn’t click on the link but guessing it was the one where he got there at 2 and is skating. Looking forward to having an asshole on the team.