We were somewhere around Barstow...

Biff Tannen

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

splat chameleon GIF by Paramount Movies

I always loved that Rango referenced F&L.

So you start with Where the Buffalo Roam, follow up with F&L, and end with Rango for the full trilogy.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

About five miles back I had a brush with the CHP. Not stopped or pulled over: nothing routine. I always drive properly. A bit fast, perhaps, but always with consummate skill and a natural feel for the road that even cops recognize. No cop was ever born who isn't a sucker for a finely-executed hi-speed Controlled Drift all the way around one of those cloverleaf freeway interchanges.

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side when he sees the big red light behind him ... and then he will start apologizing, begging for mercy.

This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. The thing to do – when you're running along about 100 or so and you suddenly find a red-flashing CHP-tracker on your tail – what you want to do then is accelerate. Never pull over with the first siren-howl. Mash it down and make the bastard chase you at speeds up to 120 all the way to the next exit. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker-signal that says you're about to turn right.

This is to let him know you're looking for a proper place to pull off and talk ... keep signaling and hope for an off-ramp, one of those uphill side-loops with a sign saying "Max Speed 25" ... and the trick, at this point, is to suddenly leave the freeway and take him into the chute at no less than 100 miles an hour.

He will lock his brakes about the same time you lock yours, but it will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180-degree turn at this speed ... but you will be ready for it, braced for the Gs and the fast heel-toe work, and with any luck at all you will have come to a complete stop off the road at the top of the turn and be standing beside your automobile by the time he catches up.

He will not be reasonable at first ... but no matter. Let him calm down. He will want the first word. Let him have it. His brain will be in a turmoil: he may begin jabbering, or even pull his gun. Let him unwind; keep smiling. The idea is to show him that you were always in total control of yourself and your vehicle – while he lost control of everything.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RPM said:

About five miles back I had a brush with the CHP. Not stopped or pulled over: nothing routine. I always drive properly. A bit fast, perhaps, but always with consummate skill and a natural feel for the road that even cops recognize. No cop was ever born who isn't a sucker for a finely-executed hi-speed Controlled Drift all the way around one of those cloverleaf freeway interchanges.

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side when he sees the big red light behind him ... and then he will start apologizing, begging for mercy.

This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. The thing to do – when you're running along about 100 or so and you suddenly find a red-flashing CHP-tracker on your tail – what you want to do then is accelerate. Never pull over with the first siren-howl. Mash it down and make the bastard chase you at speeds up to 120 all the way to the next exit. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker-signal that says you're about to turn right.

This is to let him know you're looking for a proper place to pull off and talk ... keep signaling and hope for an off-ramp, one of those uphill side-loops with a sign saying "Max Speed 25" ... and the trick, at this point, is to suddenly leave the freeway and take him into the chute at no less than 100 miles an hour.

He will lock his brakes about the same time you lock yours, but it will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180-degree turn at this speed ... but you will be ready for it, braced for the Gs and the fast heel-toe work, and with any luck at all you will have come to a complete stop off the road at the top of the turn and be standing beside your automobile by the time he catches up.

He will not be reasonable at first ... but no matter. Let him calm down. He will want the first word. Let him have it. His brain will be in a turmoil: he may begin jabbering, or even pull his gun. Let him unwind; keep smiling. The idea is to show him that you were always in total control of yourself and your vehicle – while he lost control of everything.

May I have a little kiss before you go?  I'm very lonely here.

I always loved that Depp lived with Hunter before filming began, to adopt his mannerisms and borrow that famous patchwork jacket.  It’s wild that he nearly killed himself by putting an ashtray on a barrel of explosives (so they claim) in the basement, and it’s always struck me that Depp never fully extricated himself from the Hunter Lifestyle…which basically no one but HST could really live.  

Believe Bill Murray said something to the effect that you had to be careful spending much time around the man…his character had a way of worming itself into your permanent psyche, and was ultimately hazardous to your health.  

Then again, it looks awfully fun

image.jpeg.5061bc5487c55e385819bf6efd7ffc47.jpeg

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2023 at 12:04 PM, Homercles said:

I always loved that Depp lived with Hunter before filming began, to adopt his mannerisms and borrow that famous patchwork jacket.  It’s wild that he nearly killed himself by putting an ashtray on a barrel of explosives (so they claim) in the basement, and it’s always struck me that Depp never fully extricated himself from the Hunter Lifestyle…which basically no one but HST could really live.  

Believe Bill Murray said something to the effect that you had to be careful spending much time around the man…his character had a way of worming itself into your permanent psyche, and was ultimately hazardous to your health.  

Then again, it looks awfully fun

image.jpeg.5061bc5487c55e385819bf6efd7ffc47.jpeg

His SNL cast members wanted to kill Murray after the movie. They said he took a long time to shed Thompson's persona and he was unbearable.