San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Great photo. Isn’t that Marvin Bagley he’s dunking on? It’s a weird angle and he’s kinda crouched but Bagley  is 6’9” and he’s at Wemby’s hip. 

Bagley took a charge on this play. He’s probably rethinking his life on the way to the floor.

6 hours ago, petscii said:

I don't follow basketball clearly.  I just peeked at the standings for the first time this season.  I assume the Spurs are tanking on purpose?

Hopefully. Minutes restriction, pg project, playing Collins and Branham. But don’t you worry, the minutes restriction is about to go away. Allegedly.

Basically, I've just been peeking in at this thread and checking boxscores. I'll watch a few mins here and there if the game is on up here in Dallas but I have to admit I was a little surprised to see all three Athletic writers pick Chet Holmgren over Victor for ROY at this point. Victor's PER is better but Holmgren's VORP is higher. Victor's raw numbers are much better but Holmgren has a much better supporting cast and isn't the focal point. I also have seen that Victor is getting into a serious groove and could wind up moving past Chet in the second half of the season. In nine January games, Victor is averaging 24.8 points and 9.1 rebounds in 25.3 minutes per game.

54 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Basically, I've just been peeking in at this thread and checking boxscores. I'll watch a few mins here and there if the game is on up here in Dallas but I have to admit I was a little surprised to see all three Athletic writers pick Chet Holmgren over Victor for ROY at this point. Victor's PER is better but Holmgren's VORP is higher. Victor's raw numbers are much better but Holmgren has a much better supporting cast and isn't the focal point. I also have seen that Victor is getting into a serious groove and could wind up moving past Chet in the second half of the season. In nine January games, Victor is averaging 24.8 points and 9.1 rebounds in 25.3 minutes per game.

Anyone voting for Chet for ROTY at this point is a dipshit that is basically admitting they don't watch the Spurs. Chet is a very nice player but Wemby is literally in another tier of players as him. Chet is a 3rd option that plays great team defense, Wemby is already one of the best 30 players in the league. I mean seriously - if you tell me you're going into a playoff series and we're having a draft just for this season Wemby is likely going somewhere in the 20s. 

He is completely game-breaking on both ends of the floor and the only reason ROTY is even a discussion is because he's being minutes restricted for whatever reason. 

But, you know, be my guest and give it to Chet. We'll take the extra motivation for Wemby going into next season. 

How about this: per36 Wemby is putting up 26/13/4 (on 46/30/80 splits - as a 19 year old) with fucking 5.3 stocks. The stock GOAT - Hakeem - put up 6.7 in his best season ever in 38 mpg - but that was in an era with much higher steal and block totals. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wemby is already one of the best 30 players in the league. I mean seriously - if you tell me you're going into a playoff series and we're having a draft just for this season Wemby is likely going somewhere in the 20s. 

I don't know that I get to 20. In no particular order:

1. Jokic
  2. Embiid
  3. Giannis
  4. Luka
  5. SGA
  6. Tatum
  7. Halliburton
  8. AD
  9. Lebron
  10. Curry
  11. Branham
  12. KD
  13. Kawhi
  14. Lillard
  15. Booker
  16. Donovan Mitchell
  17. Jamal Murray
  18. Ant Man
  19. PG13

Who am I missing? Fox? Sabonis? Brunson?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Anyone voting for Chet for ROTY at this point is a dipshit that is basically admitting they don't watch the Spurs. Chet is a very nice player but Wemby is literally in another tier of players as him. Chet is a 3rd option that plays great team defense, Wemby is already one of the best 30 players in the league. I mean seriously - if you tell me you're going into a playoff series and we're having a draft just for this season Wemby is likely going somewhere in the 20s. 

He is completely game-breaking on both ends of the floor and the only reason ROTY is even a discussion is because he's being minutes restricted for whatever reason. 

But, you know, be my guest and give it to Chet. We'll take the extra motivation for Wemby going into next season. 

How about this: per36 Wemby is putting up 26/13/4 (on 46/30/80 splits - as a 19 year old) with fucking 5.3 stocks per game. The stock GOAT - Hakeem - put up 6.7 in his best season ever in 38 mpg - but that was in an era with much higher steal and block totals. 

Excellent breakdown. Kind of seems like The Athletic guys were making a concerted effort to be contrarian.

26 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Who am I missing? Fox? Sabonis? Brunson?

You're missing Jimmy. But you listed Branham so that's still 19.

But yeah, once you get into that next tier - Kyrie, DeMar, Jaylen Brown, Harden, Maxey - guys like that - I'm seriously having to think if you're telling me I can have one of those guys or I can have Wemby. Like I said I don't think he'd fall past 25 or 26.

23 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Anyone see anything about Tre's ankle injury? I hope he's not out for any extended amount of time.

Listed as questionable but he sat out shootaround this morning. Assuming he sits. Shit, Pop will probably have him on minutes restriction until after the All Star break.

Sucks for the Wemby/Chet matchup. Jones has been making everybody look better lately, especially Wemby and Sochan. I don't mind seeing more Blake Wesley, though. Digging his effort and energy lately. 

GSG.