San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

6 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

44/24/75

Yeah - I looked his splits up. Maybe check my username next time. 

44/75 is more than acceptable for a guy that was a young senior in high school playing against grown-ass men over 20 games.

The 24 isn't a large sample size and something that you would expect to improve. 

I’m not saying he doesn’t have potential. I have him in my list of possible spurs top 10 picks. He was just not efficient in the league he was in. He also had way more turnovers (like 3.2 per game) than assists.

I think he can get to 35-38% from 3 with more reps and better coaching. As mentioned, he played good defense and hustled and seemed to care in the few games I saw. He also scored around 20 a game, so he can get buckets.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39846780/nba-fines-spurs-victor-wembanyama-tossing-ball-stands

Victor Wembanyama's celebratory tossing of a basketball into the stands was costly.

The NBA fined the San Antonio rookie $25,000 on Sunday for the act, which came at the end of Friday's 130-126 overtime win for the Spurs over the New York Knicks.

Wembanyama caught a long pass for a steal on the game's final play, wrapped his arms around the ball, high-fived a courtside fan and then tossed the ball a few rows into the crowd.

He had 40 points, 20 rebounds and seven assists in the game. It was the first such stat line by an NBA rookie since 1974.

Meanwhile, guard Jalen Brunson had the second-highest-scoring game in Knicks history with 61 points, and a ball boy working the team's bench sprinted up to retrieve the ball from the fan who caught it because it was a valuable piece of memorabilia.

First of all, the fine is stupid. God forbid a player celebrate with his fans. But let's find Wemby for that the same as Draymond Green for fighting or altercations with refs. Dumbasses.

Second, I wouldn't have given that ball to the Knicks probably at all, but not for less than $500,000.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Oh wow - I was focused on what one of the refs was doing - but then I saw Renee's comment and realized that Wemby scored a bucket and also had a block in that clip. You really have to pay attention with this guy.

Pretty good basketball being played at the end of the season, at least compared to most of the season. Probably would have been a 30 win team if we were like this from the start. Gives me some hope with some roster turnover we could be around a .500 team next year.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh wow - I was focused on what one of the refs was doing - but then I saw Renee's comment and realized that Wemby scored a bucket and also had a block in that clip. You really have to pay attention with this guy.

Uh, TWO buckets. Someone wasn’t watching Wemby this whole clip 😬

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve only watched highlights of the last few games but it seems like the Spurs are playing better without Vassell and Sochan. I assume that’s because Wemby is taking the lead role. How do the Spurs keep that dynamic when Devin and Sochan return next year?  The offseason is fast approaching. How do we build on the late season momentum?

A few thoughts about the game last night and the off season as we wind this thing down:

1. The outside shooting has been a glaring problem all season, but they are losing just as many games because of turnovers. 25 last night. Vic had 9 on his own. So many of them live ball, too, which are just disastrous. When Philly cranked up their pressure and started picking up Jones full court, the Spurs wilted and the offense came to a grinding halt. I can't imagine how many more games this team would have won just by shooting league average from distance and being league average in taking care of the ball. They aren't that far off from flirting with the play in next year if they get those things cleaned up.

2. It was troubling that Tre Jones couldn't get around an old ass Nic Batum 50 feet from the basket. Aside from that, even after going 0-3 from 3 last night he's shooting a blistering .483 from distance since the all star break. He shot .278 from 3 from the beginning of the season until the ASB. Which one do we believe is real?

His three year trajectory from distance:
yr 1 - disregard because he only took five 3's in limited action
yr 2 - .196 (on 51 attempts)
yr 3 - .285 (on 158 attempts)
yr 4 - .349 (on 175 attempts including the recent post ASB flame throwing)

Is he a legitimate answer at point next season if he can't shoot 40%+ from three? 

3. And speaking of Batum... he's exactly the type of vet this team needs next year. He was so good down the stretch - clamped down on Jones to change the game defensively and then hit big three after big three in the clutch. He's supposed to be retiring this year, but he's only 35. I wish they could talk him into sticking around for another season and come to SA to tutor his countryman.

4. I have lots of thoughts on Branham, Wesley and Sochan that will surely be covered in the off season thread, but I know everybody is going to be eager to dump one/some/all of them this summer. My position is that they have to give all three of them at least another season. I think you should know just about everything you can about them after 3 years, but there are so many guys who take the leap in year 3. Just this season... Jalen Green, Johnathon Kuminga, Jalen Johnson come to mind. Coby White and Lauri Markkanan took even longer. Everybody is impatient because of Vic's accelerated timeline but they can't be too hasty to cut bait with these kids. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

A few thoughts about the game last night and the off season as we wind this thing down:

1. The outside shooting has been a glaring problem all season, but they are losing just as many games because of turnovers. 25 last night. Vic had 9 on his own. So many of them live ball, too, which are just disastrous. When Philly cranked up their pressure and started picking up Jones full court, the Spurs wilted and the offense came to a grinding halt. I can't imagine how many more games this team would have won just by shooting league average from distance and being league average in taking care of the ball. They aren't that far off from flirting with the play in next year if they get those things cleaned up.

2. It was troubling that Tre Jones couldn't get around an old ass Nic Batum 50 feet from the basket. Aside from that, even after going 0-3 from 3 last night he's shooting a blistering .483 from distance since the all star break. He shot .278 from 3 from the beginning of the season until the ASB. Which one do we believe is real?

His three year trajectory from distance:
yr 1 - disregard because he only took five 3's in limited action
yr 2 - .196 (on 51 attempts)
yr 3 - .285 (on 158 attempts)
yr 4 - .349 (on 175 attempts including the recent post ASB flame throwing)

Is he a legitimate answer at point next season if he can't shoot 40%+ from three? 

3. And speaking of Batum... he's exactly the type of vet this team needs next year. He was so good down the stretch - clamped down on Jones to change the game defensively and then hit big three after big three in the clutch. He's supposed to be retiring this year, but he's only 35. I wish they could talk him into sticking around for another season and come to SA to tutor his countryman.

4. I have lots of thoughts on Branham, Wesley and Sochan that will surely be covered in the off season thread, but I know everybody is going to be eager to dump one/some/all of them this summer. My position is that they have to give all three of them at least another season. I think you should know just about everything you can about them after 3 years, but there are so many guys who take the leap in year 3. Just this season... Jalen Green, Johnathon Kuminga, Jalen Johnson come to mind. Coby White and Lauri Markkanan took even longer. Everybody is impatient because of Vic's accelerated timeline but they can't be too hasty to cut bait with these kids. 

I want the best for Malaki, I just think that he makes the worst, most glaring basketball decisions I’ve seen and I’ve seen some shit the last 5 years. 

Victor just single handedly stopped a 3 on 1 fast break. Don't know if I've ever seen that. Nobody else has that defensive presence. 👽

LOL at the 2 Memphis players playing hot potato not wanting to go at him.

Edited by Pam Cummings