Jimi

83Horn

For those who are too young to appreciate just what a mind blowing game changer Jimi Hendrix was, this video provides a nice summary.  Also appropriate for the rest of us fans, a few days in advance of what would have been Jimi's 81st birthday.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I've been listening to more of him than usual as of late.  It's still amazing to me that as much ahead of his time as his sound was, it still sounds ahead of its time.  I don't know when Jimi Hendrix was actually supposed to happen, but it ain't yet.  Happy Birthday, Johnny Allen.  Don't know you did it all left handed, let alone after jumping out from a perfectly good airplane.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/22/2023 at 8:31 AM, 83Horn said:

For those who are too young to appreciate just what a mind blowing game changer Jimi Hendrix was, this video provides a nice summary.  Also appropriate for the rest of us fans, a few days in advance of what would have been Jimi's 81st birthday.

Thanks for this.  I had an appreciation for how groundbreaking his Monterey Pop performance was, but did not know the backstory on his Hollywood Bowl gig.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to an Experience Hendrix concert in San Antonio a few years ago.  I have an autographed photo and ticket stub from Billy Cox plus a pic of Hendrix in a frame hanging on my office wall.  At the time I got the autographs, I asked if I could shake his hand and he obliged.  I thought about not washing my hand for quite a long time.  

Posted in the guitar thread a few weeks back.  This was Jimi at his peak, imo.  That’s not a hot take, many people say that.  They are right.  How he uses the guitar, the tremolo bar, his effects, the amp and feedback to conjure up the sounds of war is haunting and timeless.  It’s message applies to Vietnam, to Bosnia, to Kosovo, to Iraq, to the Ukraine and to Gaza.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 11/28/2023 at 7:22 AM, Gil Bang said:

I read the other day that Jimi wanted Stephen Stills as his bassist, but the message never got to Stills until after Jimi’s death.

Stills absolutely would have done it.

Steven Stills quote - "I was just trying to figure out what to do next (after Buffalo Springfield). I followed Jimi Hendrix around the country for a year learning how to play lead guitar and he taught me some great things'"

• Hook 'Em 1

[CSB]

My half brother (hereinafter brother) was very involved in the Houston music scene in the 1960s and early 1970s.  Billy Gibbons and the Moving Sidewalks used to rehearse in my dad's backyard pool house.  My brother ended up managing and producing the Moving Sidewalks during that time right up to the very early ZZ days.  At some point, they booked a gig as an opening act in Fort Worth (IIRC) to open for Jimi and, as a result, my brother got to hang out with Jimi backstage.  Decades later, at a family wedding, I was talking to him and asked the dumbest question you possibly could imagine.

Me: So what was Hendrix like.

H/B:  He was pretty cool.

[/CSB]

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

IF there's one video that encapsulates the immense talent, self-deprecation, and just flat out enigma that is Jimi Hendrix...this is it.

Can't tell you how many times I've watched it.  

and this one....

I remember reading that the video of Hendrix with the Stones was filmed backstage at Madison Square Garden in November 1969 as the Stones were preparing to go out and perform the set that was recorded for Get Yer Ya Yas out.  I've often wondered if Hendrix's presence provided the extra juice they had that night, because the Stones were absolutely on top of their game that night.

• Like 1