Opponent Analysis: The Offensive Line

sushihorn

So how does this play out when matched up against the Texas front? I don’t think we will get consistent pressure when rushing Penix, certainly not early pressure when rushing 4. But I think the Texas pass rush can cause problems by denying Penix the ability to step up in the pocket and the time to go deep.

The style matchup in the running game is a very bad one for the Huskies’ OL. They couldn’t drive block weaker fronts; don’t expect them to do that to Texas. As for the pulling guards, you defeat that by holding the edge and creating a traffic jam. That forces the play wide where speed matters and pursuit can clean it up. Or the RB can look for a cutback lane against the interior DL. Good luck with that when one man is blocking back on our DTs. Lol

Oregon played a lot of 3 man fronts, asking a LB 4-5 yards off the ball to hold the edge. They gave up a soft corner by scheme. Texas rarely uses a 3 man front and usually only on obvious passing downs. Even against Tech’s empty set, Texas used 3 DL plus a stand up edge at the LOS. No soft corners here. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

How do their OL pressure numbers compare nationally and maybe against our schedule?

Just watching some UW games, I think Penix is very very good in the pocket.

They are average in stopping pressure: 35 QBH surrendered vs 55 hurries inflicted by the Texas D. UW is good at preventing pressure from becoming sacks. Penix’ pocket presence is part of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, sushihorn said:

They are average in stopping pressure: 35 QBH surrendered vs 55 hurries inflicted by the Texas D. UW is good at preventing pressure from becoming sacks. Penix’ pocket presence is part of that. 

We all want to isolate winning and losing to one thing which is kinda silly but I’ll do it anyway. Apart from a 3rd quarter lull or slow start from Texas on offense I think pressure on Penix when he drops back is the game within the game that decides the outcome. Texas pressures enough into a couple of sacks and a TO (+1) and 3-4 quality stops and Texas wins. Penix has time - run game support or not - he’s gonna carve us up and then who knows if we can keep up.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:40 PM, troph said:

We all want to isolate winning and losing to one thing which is kinda silly but I’ll do it anyway. Apart from a 3rd quarter lull or slow start from Texas on offense I think pressure on Penix when he drops back is the game within the game that decides the outcome. Texas pressures enough into a couple of sacks and a TO (+1) and 3-4 quality stops and Texas wins. Penix has time - run game support or not - he’s gonna carve us up and then who knows if we can keep up.

If we look at the Bowl game. Texas did a great job vs the pass. They only gave up 1 explosive throw and that was on a trick play. In the 2 years at Washington, Penix's lowest yards per attempt was vs Texas. Texas defense had 2 issues in that game. #1 Washington was 13-23 on 3/4th down (57%). Texas is the #2 3rd down conversion defense in the nation this year (26.5%). Texas was 94th last year (41.3%). Hopefully, that improvement shows up in this game. The other issue was the run game. Texas gave up 158 yards and 5.64 yards/att. Texas is 4th in the country this year in rush defense (80.85 yards and 2.87 yard/att). That is an improvement from 33rd in the nation (125.7 and 3.9 per/att).. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I forgot to add roster details. 

Starting LT: #55 Fautanu - 6’4” 317 pounds 

LG: #71 Kalepo - 6’6” 327

OC: #72 Brailsford - 6’2” 275

RG: #77 Buelow - 6’8” 311

RT: #73 Rosengarten - 6’6” 300

With the guards being so tall, I’m hoping sweat can get lower and leverage. 

a 6'8 and 6'6 guard is weird. Does DeBoer only recruit tackles and then move some of those guys inside to guard? I would expect Murphy to feast on those guys with his lower leverage point. And teams have not been able to run shit against us on counter plays all season. I think this game sets up well for us so long as we can avoid the deep shots daggers. 

I should have posted the roster early. The comments about not being able to drive block anyone using Inside Zone would be much more obvious. 

I almost pity that Center. A 275 pound RS Freshman trying to get off a good snap then having to block an All-American NT has a really tough job. I expect he will need guard help a large majority of the snaps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My main concern with the Washington O-Line is their mobility in the screen game. That matches their strength to get in the right position and covers a weakness by not putting them directly against opposing DL. And Grubb runs a lot of screens. 

They will be most dangerous in tunnel screen. RB screens have a lower success rate against Texas this year as they are often sniffed out by our veteran DL or blown up with quick pressure. OL of course don’t have that much impact on WR bubble screens. But the tunnel screen brings the play inside and the designated OL can get upfield to their assignments quickly. 

Tunnel screen also schemes against a penetrating, aggressive DL by attacking the space they would occupy at the LOS if they stayed home. That fits the Texas DL to a T. The D-Line literally have trouble seeing this one coming as the screen WR is not in their primary field of vision. Combine the quality of the Washington WRs with the mobility of their OL and Tunnel screen has potential for a big play against this defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2