Roadside assistance

HiggyBaby

So I’m evaluating services where you call a 1-800 number and someone comes and changes your tire or your battery. The reason I’m here is because I travel (airline pilot) and I’m responsible for 3 other drivers including 2 teens. I had an insurance add-on for roadside assistance but that tallies around $35 a month. I don’t mind paying that but if I’m going to I wanna make sure I’m getting the best service. Is AAA money better spent? Other options in Texas?

I have AAA and there are three tiers. I'm paying $100 a year for Plus. 

It gets me.

• Up to 100 Miles Towing
  • Free Emergency Fuel Delivery
  • Vehicle Locksmith Service Up to $100
  • Free Rental Car Upgrade with in-state tow
  • Free Hertz membership with enrollment; Get Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Bonus Points, after the first Gold rental, enough for one free rental day.
  • Free Personal Notary Service
  • Free International AAA Maps
  • Select European Travel Guides at 50% Off

Includes All Classic Benefits such as Vehicle Registration Renewals, AAA Battery Service, Identity Theft Monitoring, AAA Discounts and More.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We are on AAA Premium.

I even used it once to get JT's ¿Honda? towed when he broke down W of MoPac / TarryTown area... the Dr certs don't usually need ID for member verification; if AAA dispatches them, that's all they need because AAA has obv. verifies you are a member.

I think that Premium gets up to 150 miles tow, + many more tows if needed.

21 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

So I’m evaluating services where you call a 1-800 number and someone comes and changes your tire or your battery. The reason I’m here is because I travel (airline pilot) and I’m responsible for 3 other drivers including 2 teens. I had an insurance add-on for roadside assistance but that tallies around $35 a month. I don’t mind paying that but if I’m going to I wanna make sure I’m getting the best service. Is AAA money better spent? Other options in Texas?

Triple A is what you want for Roadside Assistance, or at least something other than your personal auto insurance. Many carriers have it included but I'd caution against using it these days with the market being what it is. Consider it death by paper cuts. You've got a full household. If you start adding in towing and/or glass claims along with an accident or two and suddenly you're not very attractive to a new auto insurer, or your rates will be higher because of that. Best to keep anything other than slam-dunk accidents off your auto insurance -- and pay the small ones out-of-pocket if at all possible. Get your roadside assistance elsewhere. It might be included in your auto but my recommendation is to not use it. (Yes, I understand that's counter-intuitive.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Triple A is what you want for Roadside Assistance, or at least something other than your personal auto insurance. Many carriers have it included but I'd caution against using it these days with the market being what it is. Consider it death by paper cuts. You've got a full household. If you start adding in towing and/or glass claims along with an accident or two and suddenly you're not very attractive to a new auto insurer, or your rates will be higher because of that. Best to keep anything other than slam-dunk accidents off your auto insurance -- and pay the small ones out-of-pocket if at all possible. Get your roadside assistance elsewhere. It might be included in your auto but my recommendation is to not use it. (Yes, I understand that's counter-intuitive.)

AAA is also better at it than insurance companies.  They usually get someone out there pretty quickly.

I am a “set it and forget it guy” and opted out of AAA like 10 years ago when realizing and using the road side service included with my Amex Platinum card.

Well fast forward to a few months ago and I learn that roadside service is no longer available/free as an AMEx perk and so I had to pay their dispatch like $79 to come jump the Tahoe.

I’ll be signing up for AAA plus for 2024.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

AAA is also better at it than insurance companies.  They usually get someone out there pretty quickly.

That's not been my experience. The one and only time in my life I ran out of gas in my wife's car -- damn Lexus for their "hidden" low fuel indicator and I called Triple A. I waited for over an hour before finally giving up and calling a buddy to come assist me. Still, though, I know not to put $100-$350 "hits" on my auto claims report.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's not been my experience. The one and only time in my life I ran out of gas in my wife's car -- damn Lexus for their "hidden" low fuel indicator and I called Triple A. I waited for over an hour before finally giving up and calling a buddy to come assist me. Still, though, I know not to put $100-$350 "hits" on my auto claims report.

In my experience, an hour would be quick for an insurance company.  AAA has always been pretty good to me.  I suppose it all depends on time of day and location.  Agree completely on the claims aspect.

We've been AAA members for a long time and within several states. Has come in handy on more than one occasion. Ditto the remarks on California--way better experience than any Texas DMV I've ever encountered with respect to wait time, services, etc. In unexpected circumstances the AAA discount has also been a nice boon.