Computer Hellp

RPM

Pretend I know jack shit about computers. It's not hard. Bought a new Cyberpower tower last month but it only came with 16G DDR5 RAM (16x1). I bought 64G (32x2) DDR5 6400MHz Corsair to replace that. There are 4 slots. 1 & 3 are black, 2 & 4 are gray. The 16x1 was in Slot 2. I pulled it and stuck 1 32x1 in that slot and the other in Slot 4. powered up the pc and it would not boot. Shut it down, pulled Slot 4 and restarted... no boot. Pulled both, put the old RAM back in and it fired right up.

WTF?

Spex

Gaming Chassis

CyberpowerPC Black P418X Mid-Tower Gaming Case 

CPU

AMD Ryzen™ 5 Processor 7600X 6-core/12-thread 4.7GHz [Turbo 5.3GHz] 32MB Cache AM5 

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan

AM4/AM5 CPU Cooler 

Motherboard

B650 Motherboard 

RAM / System Memory

16GB (16GBx1) DDR5/4800MHz Dual Channel Memory

Pretty sure you want slots 2 and 4, which sounds like what you are using.

A Few quick thoughts- is your bios up to date?  did you double-check ram compatibility (likely is ok)? were the sticks purchased as a package for dual channel use?  did you make sure the ram was seated/ clicked down? (i've had this happen before)

How long did you wait?  Are you getting error lights from the mobo?  (sometimes it takes awhile to reboot, and on some mobos i think there is a 'retraining' mode.

have you tried each new stick in slot 1 to make sure they work?

You can look up compatible memory for the motherboard. Not sure if this is your exact board, but: 

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-b650-plus/helpdesk_qvl_memory/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B650-PLUS

Also most of the memory mfgs have search tools, like:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/c/memory/ddr5-ram?type=findbycompatibility

(But I can't find the B650 in the above link). 

That might give you a clue whether what you have should work. If what you have is NOT listed, I can't really say what the chances are that is should/shouldn't work though. 

1 hour ago, LosIllini said:

Pretty sure you want slots 2 and 4, which sounds like what you are using.

A Few quick thoughts- is your bios up to date? - Should be. New computer

did you double-check ram compatibility (likely is ok)? - No. But it's DDR 5, same as the old.

were the sticks purchased as a package for dual channel use? - Yes

did you make sure the ram was seated/ clicked down? (i've had this happen before) - Yes

How long did you wait? - A minuite or so

Are you getting error lights from the mobo?  (sometimes it takes awhile to reboot, and on some mobos i think there is a 'retraining' mode). - No

have you tried each new stick in slot 1 to make sure they work? - No

4 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

contact cyberpower and ask them what's up

Bunch of San Francisco geeks. What do they know?

Actually tried that but they weren't open yet. Figured I take a shot here first.

So TS says pull the old RAM stick, remove the graphics card (it's f'n huge) to gain access to a coin battery on mobo. Remove battery to reset CMOS, install new RAM in 2 & 4, put everything back together and it should work. Resetting the CMOS is the key according to this geek in SF who definitely has better things to do that talk to some old man. Jesus this job doesn't pay enough.

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Resetting the CMOS is the key according to this geek in SF who definitely has better things to do that talk to some old man.

That's a good call on removing the battery.  PITA, but, a hard reset fixes things a lot of times.

Assuming that i'm looking at the correct board- the current Bios is listed as: Version 1811, 11.02 MB, 2023/10/16, so check that too.  F2 or Del on boot, to get into the Bios...

I've built PCs before, but I am NOT a programmer. I don't coad. I ordered this one off the shelf because my 11 year old custom built pc was randomly shutting down (power supply dying) and there was a ritual you had to go through to get it to restart. When it did restart it took about 5 minutes to boot so I just always left it on until it died again. See Step 1. 

This is a new replacement I'm just trying to beef up. Never know when you're gonna need memory. I'm burning 40% just reading Surl. 

Edited by RPM

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Doesn't help you, but quick search shows tons of people (way more than normal) having memory issues with B650 motherboards, so you're not alone. 

Which specific motherboard model do you have?

Don't know. Spec sheet just says B650. 

Posted (edited)

We built a gaming PC for my son for Christmas I used to build a lot and am super rusty. We trial and error the slots and ended up in 1 and 2 on ours after it not working on 2 and 4 and 1 and 3. I usually try to eliminate all the random easy elements first - the ones that could be the equivalent of “did you plug it in?” Then go from there. I’ve even failed to snap it in all the way on a prior build thinking I had already once. I’m not sure about that board or memory compatibility with it or the CPU, 64 is a lot so it’s possible there’s an issue there. I’m not familiar with that board so I’m probably not much help but that’s where I would go next if musical chairs doesn’t work, just that in the last few I’ve built the random silly solutions often work. 

Edited by troph

4 hours ago, troph said:

We built a gaming PC for my son for Christmas I used to build a lot and am super rusty. We trial and error the slots and ended up in 1 and 2 on ours after it not working on 2 and 4 and 1 and 3. I usually try to eliminate all the random easy elements first - the ones that could be the equivalent of “did you plug it in?” Then go from there. I’ve even failed to snap it in all the way on a prior build thinking I had already once. I’m not sure about that board or memory compatibility with it or the CPU, 64 is a lot so it’s possible there’s an issue there. I’m not familiar with that board so I’m probably not much help but that’s where I would go next if musical chairs doesn’t work, just that in the last few I’ve built the random silly solutions often work. 

I purchased a TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI for a new build for my son and the user manual doesn't say which slots to use as far as I can tell. I assume that I am missing it. Is trial and error the only way? I have everything connected (hopefully) except for CPU, CPU cooler, and m.2 which all should be arriving tomorrow.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-x670e-plus-wifi/techspec/

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/TUF_GAMING_X670E-PLUS_WIFI/E20195_TUF_GAMING_X670E_PLUS_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

54 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I purchased a TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI for a new build for my son and the user manual doesn't say which slots to use as far as I can tell. I assume that I am missing it. Is trial and error the only way? I have everything connected (hopefully) except for CPU, CPU cooler, and m.2 which all should be arriving tomorrow.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-x670e-plus-wifi/techspec/

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/TUF_GAMING_X670E-PLUS_WIFI/E20195_TUF_GAMING_X670E_PLUS_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

When I get into trouble I use YouTube with specific search criteria. Also do a fair amount of cross checking compatibility before I buy. We ended up with a MSI motherboard, amd ryzen 7, 32gb ram and an nvidia GeForce 740. Initially wouldn’t recongize the cpu or the memory and the GPU wouldn’t turn on. So kinda all of it. It’s hard to explain sometimes you just fiddle with it. All I had to do was find the right slots and reinstall (physically) the GPU and it worked. We had some led and fan issues too but worked those out. It’s like building LEGO sets with partial instructions. Assuming your parts are in fact compatible you kinda tinker and use YouTube until you figure out the problem. Could be the board, resets, update bios all of that but I try in order of easiest to hardest and it usually works itself out. If you are worried about compatibility you just gotta search the web to find the deets. Reddit / YouTube / Newegg / etc

Just found this thread. You should always go into bios and save settings then go to bone stock before putting in new ram configs nowadays. All kinds of XMP setting etc going on now. You just want normal clock and then set things the way you want in BIOS. 

Id always start slot 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4 but both should work on dual channel kits. 32GB modules are also buggy as fuck for early revision 7000 series Ryzen so I’d absolutely flash latest firmware before even installing the new RAM. 

happy to help those that are local as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Just found this thread. You should always go into bios and save settings then go to bone stock before putting in new ram configs nowadays. All kinds of XMP setting etc going on now. You just want normal clock and then set things the way you want in BIOS. 

Id always start slot 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4 but both should work on dual channel kits. 32GB modules are also buggy as fuck for early revision 7000 series Ryzen so I’d absolutely flash latest firmware before even installing the new RAM. 

happy to help those that are local as well. 

Man, I might take you up on that. I'll try it on my own first, though. The M.2 and processor arrive tomorrow. In what part of town do you live?