Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

11 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

If I’m coaching 3rd.  I’m jumping up and down waving and yelling Goooooooooo

Don’t got wave our gals home because we will be launching them out of the park en route to OKC

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, D3zii said:

So do we know who’s getting the start today?

Lineups get posted about 10 min prior but I’m guessing Citlaly just based on her not pitching since Friday. Or maybe White goes nuts and starts Sophia, a la Arkansas 2022 game 3 😂

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

coaching 3rd isn't that difficult but there is a reason a lot of baseball managers don't do it.

I'm not sure what our signs are but I've never seen a point to the bag mean anything other than stay on the bag, in fact it usually means to come in standing up.

you can have a player turn hard but you have to get down the line.  We also had a player slide to the wrong side of the bag I think.

this is a good video.  MIke should watch it.

He def assumed she was headed home and was signaling the next runner to come to 3rd cuz he knew the throw was headed home. MW brain fart along with Bella not running home as she’s done 99% of her career 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

He def assumed she was headed home and was signaling the next runner to come to 3rd cuz he knew the throw was headed home. MW brain fart along with Bella not running home as she’s done 99% of her career 

This!!!
you can see he did signal home, But He started signaling to early for the next runner while Bella was still on her way to third 

7 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

that was totally on Mike.  It had nothing to do with Bella.  He even slipped in the post game and said ball was hit hard.  He was concerned she was going to get thrown out at the plate and panicked,  because she didn't get a real good jump off second.  take a look at when the ball is thrown and where Bella is.

what he should have done is windmill her home and then move up the line towards left field so it is clear he is talking to the runner going to second and not in Bella's vision.  He didn't do that at all and was looking at Bella the whole way.

the ball is behind Bella so she has to trust her coach and not guess if she should be going home or not.

100% on Mike.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

coaching 3rd isn't that difficult but there is a reason a lot of baseball managers don't do it.

I'm not sure what our signs are but I've never seen a point to the bag mean anything other than stay on the bag, in fact it usually means to come in standing up.

you can have a player turn hard but you have to get down the line.  We also had a player slide to the wrong side of the bag I think.

Windmill GIF

• Haha 3

Ford said in her PC they pulled Kennedy for matchup reasons, knowing for sure she would come back in to face our spate of lefties.  It's why I'm not a fan of so many consecutive lefties against a lefty ace, especially with softball's liberal sub rules.  The good news is our lefties are seeing Kennedy better and there's a great chance her spin will be down today. Surprisingly, the batter that is struggling the most is Stewie.  She's getting too picky on the inside curve and chasing outside shit.  She needs to hunt the inside curve, knowing for sure she's gonna see it, turn on it, and fucking crush it. 

I think we've shown our hitting will get us the runs we need to beat TAMU.  The big issue is pitching.  CG make sense as the freshest arm, but man she does not look comfortable to me in the circle.  I'd go with someone else to start the game more comfortably for us.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The good news is our lefties are seeing Kennedy better and there's a great chance her spin will be down today.

Yeah we put up 6 ER and 14 hits on her yesterday in 7.2 IP.  Good news is we have figured her out and she’s thrown a lot of pitches against us. It’s really hard in this day and age with all the advanced batter analytics to throw 3 consecutive games against the same lineup. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Why should someone who's been playing and coaching some 40+ years have to watch someone else's video? This is something he should execute 1 million X out of 1 million. You never ever ever give the runner any type of signal that could possibly be confusing. They have .1 second to make a decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Why should someone who's been playing and coaching some 40+ years have to watch someone else's video? This is something he should execute 1 million X out of 1 million. You never ever ever give the runner any type of signal that could possibly be confusing. They have .1 second to make a decision.

It was a joke...about watching the video.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

He handled that well. Sounds like he came around to realizing pointing at third is easily misconstrued as stay at third. He said he apologized to Bella. Gave her credit for bouncing back. Good deal.*

* still a boneheaded signal. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

that was totally on Mike.  It had nothing to do with Bella.  He even slipped in the post game and said ball was hit hard.  He was concerned she was going to get thrown out at the plate and panicked,  because she didn't get a real good jump off second.  take a look at when the ball is thrown and where Bella is.

what he should have done is windmill her home and then move up the line towards left field so it is clear he is talking to the runner going to second and not in Bella's vision.  He didn't do that at all and was looking at Bella the whole way.

the ball is behind Bella so she has to trust her coach and not guess if she should be going home or not.

100% on Mike.

As usual you are on point.

hands down like bowing down or slapping something down means slide into third and the more animated the closer the call will be.

windmill and pointing to home or tomahawking toward home means go. And once again the more animated the motion the closer the call will be at the plate.

single hand stop sign or pointing to the base means stay.

shit even in early stage little league when touching the base isn’t a given you give the hand signals for where to go and yell “touch the base!!” 

pointing at third means hold up at third 10 out of 10 times.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, troph said:

As usual you are on point.

hands down like bowing down or slapping something down means slide into third and the more animated the closer the call will be.

windmill and pointing to home or tomahawking toward home means go. And once again the more animated the motion the closer the call will be at the plate.

single hand stop sign or pointing to the base means stay.

shit even in early stage little league when touching the base isn’t a given you give the hand signals for where to go and yell “touch the base!!” 

pointing at third means hold up at third 10 out of 10 times.

I will say one thing about this situation.  IMO, the field size for softball makes it a bit tougher these days because these girls are much much better athletes and stronger than the previous girls of 25-30 years ago.  I personally think field sizes should get bigger and bases should be farther apart.  they can handle it and I think it would make the game more interesting.  for example, a high chopper to short off dirt shouldn't be auto hit even for a fast player.  again only my opinion as all I really watch of softball is Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I will say one thing about this situation.  IMO, the field size for softball makes it a bit tougher these days because these girls are much much better athletes and stronger than the previous girls of 25-30 years ago.  I personally think field sizes should get bigger and bases should be farther apart.  they can handle it and I think it would make the game more interesting.  for example, a high chopper to short off dirt shouldn't be auto hit even for a fast player.  again only my opinion as all I really watch of softball is Texas. 

I agree the field is too small - I don’t think as many fly balls should be automatic outs either, i think poorly hit balls should be more opportunities for double plays. I also think they can handle 9 innings. I have the same view about tennis, wtf men grand slams are 5 sets and women stay at 3 (men at at 3 for most other tournaments). 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

I agree the field is too small, I also think they can handle 9 innings. I have the same view about tennis, wtf men grand slams are 5 sets and women stay at 3 (men at at 3 for most other tournaments). 

my guess is tennis won't change because they are trying to get matches in, in a certain amount of time and it is much easier to leave the women at 3. they could start making semis and finals matches 5 sets though.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

my guess is tennis won't change because they are trying to get matches in, in a certain amount of time and it is much easier to leave the women at 3. they could start making semis and finals matches 5 sets though.

They just need to stop treating them differently that’s all. The level of competition has dramatically increased and with that athletic ability. Heck there are volleyball players I have no doubt could dunk the basketball with ease. It’s just a different era now. It’s time to make the sport match the level of competition and athleticism. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

He handled that well. Sounds like he came around to realizing pointing at third is easily misconstrued as stay at third. He said he apologized to Bella. Gave her credit for bouncing back. Good deal.*

* still a boneheaded signal. 

Happy he admitted he was in the wrong a lot of coaches wouldn’t do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

This has been brought up on the softball threads before, and the general feeling is that softball isn’t baseball and there’s no reason to change it to make it more like baseball.  Those choppers and the slapping are part of the strategy of softball. 

I mean Ichiro took some of the concept of slap hitting and speed and got like 6000 professional hits in 2 leagues. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, troph said:

Man those Florida unis are so bad it makes the green and yellow or Baylor look fine

I was thinking the opposite.  I love that football look that Florida goes with on their uniforms, good stuff.  To each his own.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder how things go if Texas hosted bama and Tenn hosted aggy, as many would believe that seeding would have been more correct. But gotta get those rivalry matchups to maximize ratings. 

It don’t make a shit. 

Baylor got something going on in the 7th.

• Hook 'Em 1