Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That change looks slow enough to regather and still put a good swing on it. As opposed to watching it. 

That's about how we'll all look watching the asteroid get bigger...and bigger...and bigger....

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

nice to see Simpson close it out. 

UCLA looking like dogshit to start the season.  Down 9-1 to OSU.

Big time down year for UCLA. The cracks were there when they lost as the #2 seed in their own regional 

13 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Painted that target on our back, did ya?

There was a lot of movement in the top 10 for Softball America

Texas jumped 5 spots to #2
Duke jumped 4 spots to #5
FSU dropped 4 spots to #7
Washington jumped 14 spots to #8
Stanford dropped 5 spots to #9
UCLA fell all the way out of the rankings from #10 to receiving votes

Ok State and LSU are undefeated at #10 and #11 and behind 4 one-loss teams and a 2-loss team

Baylor is 0-2 (2 losses to Tenn) and only dropped from #11 to #16 - the only team in the top 25 with no wins 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Got a feeling that this upcoming weekend might be a better measurement of a lot of team's skill level.  Still early, of course.

Clearwaterr, Judi Garman and Mary Nutter are typically the early season barometers. It’s like ranked opponents back to back for 3 days straight. They let teams get some footing in week 1-2 before they start up

Ive never been to one but feels like you get your money’s worth at those tournaments 

• Hook 'Em 1

The good news - 17 of our next 18 games will be watchable (as of now)

The better news - 7 of those 18 games are against ranked teams 

Clearwater - LHN, ESPN, ESPN+, LHN, ESPN2
HCU - LHN
Lone Star Invitational - LHN for all games
Texas State - nothing listed at the moment, but maybe will end up an ESPN+ broadcast
Longhorn Invitational - LHN for all games
UTA - LHN

As of now, the only games remaining not listed as having a streaming or TV option are:

@Texas State
@UH for 3 games
@UCF for 3 games
@OKST for 2 of the 3 games
@KU for 3 games
@Tech for 3 games

I can't wait to get out of this conference, since all SEC series are, at a minimum, on SEC Network+ if they don't get SEC Network or ESPN

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hpu, who is a grown man wearing protective gear, seemed scared of the cal players. Until they were gotten under control by the coaches. Then he got brave. 

A little more info and video…guess Cal will NOT be playing these rednecks any more.  This started with the playing of the National anthem before the game even started.

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/cal-softball-anthem-kneeling-ejections-louisiana-18663096.php

Edited by Cairn Horn88

9 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Maybe if she didn't crow-hop so high on her pitches...

I've always called her out for her illegal pitching, but they actually changed the rules this year to allow crow-hopping.  I kinda feel bad for her, but I hated all the strutting around she did as an OU player. Although I have seen multiple interviews with her and she seems like a very down-home small town girl.  The point is, OU sucks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I've always called her out for her illegal pitching, but they actually changed the rules this year to allow crow-hopping.  I kinda feel bad for her, but I hated all the strutting around she did as an OU player. Although I have seen multiple interviews with her and she seems like a very down-home small town girl.  The point is, OU sucks.  

Yeah, the crow hopping is whatever because it's legal now.  The stalking and strutting around was really annoying and just added to how much people were/are tired of OU softball.  There's such a thing as being a gracious winner. 

But she'll be back in 2025 in a much different B1G, featuring 3 programs who are actually serious about softball - UCLA, Oregon and UW. 

This is officially going to be an SEC and ACC sport though.  (based on D1 poll): 

Current/future SEC: #1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 12, 14, 18, 20, 23, 25
Current/future ACC: #7, 8, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22
Current/future B1G: #6, 21, 22, 24
Current/future Big 12: #4, 15, 17

Guessing we see Mac start against Tennessee and Teagan against Stanford in the night cap.  

Stanford got blanked yesterday by FSU.  Their offense hasn't looked that good so far this season - 3 runs against SDSU, 1 run against UK, 2 runs against UK (in 8 innings), 3 runs against Minnesota, 3 runs against UCSB, 15 runs against Georgia Tech, 0 against FSU.  

I think it's a good offense for her to throw against.  Texas will want her to limit them to 3 or less runs and see if we can get some offense against Canady (0.64 ERA in 22 IP) or Krause (3.75 in 18.2 IP)

Honestly, if this is the offense Stanford is going to give Canady, she will 100% be in crimson and cream next season. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm excited to see how we do against top competition.  I know we are going to drop a few along the way with this schedule, so I'm prepared for that.  I want to see how we handle adversity.  

Of course I remember in 22, we looked like dogshit for this tournament and ended going to the WCWS championship.  

• Hook 'Em 1

UGA also took down OKST 7-4 earlier

Stanford-Tenn should start soon, as well as Wisky-OKST.  Today also features UGA-UCLA, in addition to our 2 marquee games

I really like this tournament because FSU, LSU, UCF and OKST are here too and we face all 4 later in the year.  I'm sure we have someone scouting all their games. 

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

UGA also took down OKST 7-4 earlier

Stanford-Tenn should start soon, as well as Wisky-OKST.  Today also features UGA-UCLA, in addition to our 2 marquee games

I really like this tournament because FSU, LSU, UCF and OKST are here too and we face all 4 later in the year.  I'm sure we have someone scouting all their games. 

I briefly flipped on NW-LSU, and Singelton was behind home plate on his phone.  Lulz.  

• Haha 1

Just now, bschoolprof said:

I briefly flipped on NW-LSU, and Singelton was behind home plate on his phone.  Lulz.  

Well we do play NW on Sunday morning 

He was probably texting Mike “LMFAO this pitching is abysmal, 25 runs combined”

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, torre said:

UCLA escapes 2 bases loaded jams in the 6th and 7th and takes down Florida St 14-10.     Still a pulse in Westwood.

FSU and UCLA are two teams who will need their offenses to win games.  Their pitching is suspect.  They are the opposite of Stanford, who needs their pitching to win them games. 

As we saw with UCLA, our pitching shut that down twice.

March 20, we face FSU in Tallahassee.  Quick stop on the way to Orlando for the UCF series.