Texas (-6.5) @ WVU- 5pm on ESPN+

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I think they did the best they could under the circumstances.

The fallout from letting him go after an Elite Eight appearance might have been worse.

why?  you get a good coach, you win.  no one cares.  hell no one cares that Chris Beard is coaching Ole Miss.  there's no fallout.

Bill Self is a lying cheating motherfucker and no one cares.  

Go find a good coach.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The fallout from letting him go after an Elite Eight appearance might have been worse.

There wasn’t going to be any fallout.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

There wasn’t going to be any fallout.

Ok well I am unable to see the alternative timeline to know that for sure.

In any case: we suck with few reasons to hope things are going to turn around soon.

26 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Worse than the team he’s putting out there?  Worse than the team will be next year?  No thanks. I get what you are saying but it’s a trade off I would not make.  

Just now, CTC2 said:

Worse than the team he’s putting out there?  Worse than the team will be next year?  No thanks. I get what you are saying but it’s a trade off I would not make.  

Well too bad you weren't in charge last Spring.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Yes there would have been a lot of heat, but if the world has shown us anything in the last 7 years it’s that everyone has the attention span of a gnat. Players, fans, coaches, alumni, etc. all would have lost interest in crucifying the administration for going a different direction with the coaching hire. And as someone else said, these people are paid a ton of money to make good decisions. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes there would have been a lot of heat, but if the world has shown us anything in the last 7 years it’s that everyone has the attention span of a gnat. Players, fans, coaches, alumni, etc. all would have lost interest in crucifying the administration for going a different direction with the coaching hire. And as someone else said, these people are paid a ton of money to make good decisions. 

yep.  CDC made the safe choice to cover his ass short term.  It is also why the contract is 3M a year.  It is basically the floor you can pay a basketball coach at a big program at a large state university without it looking strange.

He basically took the gamble that if Terry fails, in 2 years he fires him, cuts him a 9M check and we move on. he can say he tried.

meanwhile we get to watch this...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep.  CDC made the safe choice to cover his ass short term.  It is also why the contract is 3M a year.  It is basically the floor you can pay a basketball coach at a big program at a large state university without it looking strange.

He basically took the gamble that if Terry fails, in 2 years he fires him, cuts him a 9M check and we move on. he can say he tried.

meanwhile we get to watch this...

What really does that get us? Nothing. You get goodwill points or green stamps, that cash in for nothing. It does nada in the long term EXCEPT put your program deeper in the hole.fuck that approach , CDC has no balls and this was a mistake. End of story.stupid incompetence all around.

Edited by El Squared

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

What really does that get us? Nothing. You get goodwill points or green stamps, that cash in for nothing. It does nada in the long term EXCEPT put your program deeper in the hole.fuck that approach , CDC has no balls and this was a mistake. End of story.stupid incompetence all around.

well yeah, that was my point.

31 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Yes but also fuck incompetent RT. Shaka 2.0 

Not really a fair comparison, imo. Shaka is at least competent enough to coach somewhere like Marquette and do a decent job. RT wasn't competent enough for UTEP, much less Texas, but last season's results ended up hamstringing y'all.

29 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Bullshit. Of course there would be in current environment. What are you smoking?

yeah, but it would have been minimal and short lived. after a week or so the talk would have died down, plus RT would have gotten a job somewhere else and he wouldn’t be lighting the world on fire, and at that point nobody would be saying anything.

I still think that if CDC and Beard would have worked out a compromise that would have given time for things to settle, for Beard and everyone involved to go through some counseling, then Texas could have come out looking alright for having tried, instead of just ducking out entirely.    Treat it like a Second Chance U sort of thing.  This shit goes on all the time in so many different ways in all levels of all sports.  And all is forgiven (or never spoken of), like in the case of Tyreek Hill and Joe Mixon.  

Texas could have said, we're not going to kick this can into someone else's backyard, we're going to try to help this man improve his life, and we'll stick by him until he proves he is incapable of doing the work.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

It just like Beard’s incident would have been all but forgotten. 

100% forgotten.

The only people who cared were Texas fans who think everyone else views UT based on perception when people view UT based on winning or not winning. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not really a fair comparison, imo. Shaka is at least competent enough to coach somewhere like Marquette and do a decent job. RT wasn't competent enough for UTEP, much less Texas, but last season's results ended up hamstringing y'all.

Damn. Worse Than Shaka. 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

100% forgotten.

The only people who cared were Texas fans who think everyone else views UT based on perception when people view UT based on winning or not winning. 

Just to clarify, I didn't want Texas to do anything until the offseason and take its time. Make the right call after some time to think it over and not be pressured into being reactionary. If it was the fans fault, I wasn't one of them. Whomever these fans are who make all of UT's decisions.

Just trying to sympathize with the pressure the admin was under and speculate as why they might have done this.  I saw the pressure they were under. Obviously not a good time and place to do so.

Edited by Valmy77