It whips the llama’s ass

HiggyBaby

I ran Spotiamp for a while there. It was a Spotify integration with a Winamp frontend. No clue if it still works, but it scratched that itch for me. Your post is making me want to see if it still works.

downloaded a shitload of music from napster over the jester dorm ethernet connection and played through winamp. i think eventually they set a download limit. i had a shitload of burned cd's and i imagine some of the mp3's that i still listen to are from those downloads. 

I remember doing a research spike at work, when I worked for a web filtering company, on how to block Limewire. Man, lemme tell y'all, that was one really nicely-designed protocol. We'd have had to redo the whole filtering engine to be able to even recognize it, let alone shut it down.

Torrent's even better. Also, has legit uses.

The guy who wrote WinAmp subsequently wrote Reaper, which is arguably to this day as good a piece of recording software one can get.  Plus, it was free forever, and now just has a nominal permanent license fee.  Total pro software, although a bit enigmatic in how it works.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Napster. Morpheus. Limewire. Kazaa. At one point I think I had over 5 gigs of MP3’s on our home PC. Brought over several times over with upgrades over the years. Now I’m just down to the ones I can’t stream.

7 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Napster. Morpheus. Limewire. Kazaa. At one point I think I had over 5 gigs of MP3’s on our home PC. Brought over several times over with upgrades over the years. Now I’m just down to the ones I can’t stream.

I was discovering all kinds of new bands through MP3.com.

7 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

i too had over 5 gigs of mp3s