5 year old with blood infection.

My nephew in CA has been sick for a couple weeks with low grade fever.  SIL has taken him to the doctor multiple times.  His fever spiked to 104 a few days ago and they took him back.  

She's been to multiple docs/clinics. Can't get in to see his pediatrician. 

At first they said he had strep and flu, which he still does.  Finally she made them run a blood test and it came back this evening that he has a blood infection. They are otw to the ER right now.  

I don't know too many specifics but I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? 

My wife and I and her other siblings don't want to bother her right now but are just looking for any insight. 

Googles first entry is that a blood infection is sepsis which isn't good but I don't think that's always the case.

Anyway I appreciate any help even if it's just anecdotal. 

He's such a great kid and they're good people. I hate this.  

Many thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

My nephew in CA has been sick for a couple weeks with low grade fever.  SIL has taken him to the doctor multiple times.  His fever spiked to 104 a few days ago and they took him back.  

She's been to multiple docs/clinics. Can't get in to see his pediatrician. 

At first they said he had strep and flu, which he still does.  Finally she made them run a blood test and it came back this evening that he has a blood infection. They are otw to the ER right now.  

I don't know too many specifics but I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? 

My wife and I and her other siblings don't want to bother her right now but are just looking for any insight. 

Googles first entry is that a blood infection is sepsis which isn't good but I don't think that's always the case.

Anyway I appreciate any help even if it's just anecdotal. 

He's such a great kid and they're good people. I hate this.  

Many thanks.

Everything is kind of weird about that - Why couldn't she get an appointment with her pediatrician? I assume it is some BS Kaiser thing. Is she in Southern Cal, UCLA area, or Northern Cal, Stanford area? It seems like too many things are going on for it to be straightforward. Was the child already on antibiotics for strep? Hopefully, she took the child to a hospital that has a strong infectious disease team.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any infection can turn into sepsis, but most commonly it is a bacterial infection that does and not viral. If the kid has an infection in his blood he has sepsis (septicemia). Sepsis is bad, but it’s very treatable. Kids are incredibly resilient so as long as he hasn’t gone into septic shock I wouldn’t be overly worried. Little guy could use some good vibes/thoughts and prayers to whatever deity you observe.

• Hook 'Em 2

I can't offer anything other than prayers/good thoughts to your nephew and the hope he gets the right medical treatment. 

My biggest fear as a dad has been one of my kids getting some horrible medical condition or injury, and thanks be to God/Buddha/Allah/George Burns they've gone through childhood relatively unscathed so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

My daughter had sepsis as an infant. 11 days in the hospital on an IV. 

It’s scary, but very treatable. Know how you can help? Get out there and give them some relief staying in the hospital with him, if possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the responses.  They are in Cupertino.  I'm learning all these things 2nd hand from my wife so it's a big game of worried telephone. Plus my SIL is exhausted and at her wits end as you can imagine.

They ran another blood test because they can't determine exactly what the issue is.  They are concerned that the arteries around his heart may be inflamed. 

It's the weirdest thing.  They've told my SIL that hey it could be something serious or something that's not too terrible. They're also not sure why one of his eyes is red (irritated)  Could be nothing, could be something

They're running more tests today and he might get to go home tomorrow.

Because I don't know all the details I'll hold off on replying until we know something definitive.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Thanks for the responses.  They are in Cupertino.  I'm learning all these things 2nd hand from my wife so it's a big game of worried telephone. Plus my SIL is exhausted and at her wits end as you can imagine.

They ran another blood test because they can't determine exactly what the issue is.  They are concerned that the arteries around his heart may be inflamed. 

It's the weirdest thing.  They've told my SIL that hey it could be something serious or something that's not too terrible. They're also not sure why one of his eyes is red (irritated)  Could be nothing, could be something

They're running more tests today and he might get to go home tomorrow.

Because I don't know all the details I'll hold off on replying until we know something definitive.

So are they saying the lab test of a blood infection was incorrect? If things aren't improving, I would highly recommend that she go to Stanford and probably see an infectious disease doc. I use to know Lucy Tompkins who was head of Infectious Disease there - she trained under my cousin.